Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Nav model questions

10K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Proph 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm currently looking at trading in my 7 month old diesel J for a petrol K and have a couple of questions for the guys who have got a Nav model. I'm currently looking at a new SRi Nav but the best price the dealer can give me (£17,240 and 0% finance) is just outside the maximum I can go to, so I'm contemplating going for a standard SRi instead to bring the price down. I therefore have a couple of questions.

1) Is there a noticable difference in the look of the standard 7" touchscreen compared to the Nav models' 8" screen?
2) Other than the sat nav capability, are there any functions that the Nav screens have over the non-nav screens?
3) Are the enhanced steering wheel controls intuitive or do they take a long while to get used to?

Finally, for the SRi guys, I've just noticed that a couple of the cars I've seen on websites mention a factory-fitted alarm: is that a standard for the SRi?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

#2 ·
So I've not got mine yet, and I'm not getting an SRi, but I I've test drove one & religiously watched every Astra review out there so I think I can help!

1) In my opinion the 8" screen looks much better in terms of integration as it is much more flush to the dash. The 7" still looks good mind, but its is housed with a plastic surround so it fits the space that the 8" would. The Nav also comes with a colour drivers computer, compared to monochrome without Nav.

2) You can store more pre-sets. Interestingly there is currently no android auto functionality for the Nav models, but there is with the 7" R4.0 intellilink system. There are rumours of this coming soon, but nothing hard and fast, there have been many dates touted.

3) I can't comment here. Except I know that with the 7" your trip computer controls are on one of the indicator sticks, compared to in the wheel with the Nav unit.

Alarm is standard on SRi and Elite!

On a more personal note, I was going to get the standard version with the 7" screen, then I saw the difference and changed it to the Nav version. My sister has the R4.0 7" system in her Corsa, and it's good. You can use your smartphone as sat Nav too if you have android or Apple.

#3 ·
MBeckUK said:
1) Is there a noticable difference in the look of the standard 7" touchscreen compared to the Nav models' 8" screen?
2) Other than the sat nav capability, are there any functions that the Nav screens have over the non-nav screens?
3) Are the enhanced steering wheel controls intuitive or do they take a long while to get used to?
1. Yes, the facia of the panel is different, the 7" screen has a rugged plastic look around the screen where the 8" is high gloss and of course fit's better due to filling out the space.

2. Yes, you also get color board computer (really high resolution) that also shows speed limit, distance to car in front (by color of car), lane assist information if available etc
(http://i.auto-bild.de/ir_img/1/2/6/7/7/8/9/Opel-Astra-K-IAA-2015-Vorstellung-Motoren-und-Preis-1200x800-7666be7011594d25.jpg)
You also get the shark fin antenna instead of the long standard type ;)

3. Yes, the steering wheel controls are different aswell, you toggle the BC with the steering wheel and not the indicator stalk as on 7" screen models.

So choose Nav 7 days a week :)

#4 ·
8" navi900 doesn't support android auto, so be aware of that (but wired carplay is supported; unfortunately wireless carplay is not supported in any version). navi900 also doesn't have automatic date setting via RDS (where 7" has this feature).

There are rumors about android auto support in form of software update for navi900 coming later this year though. No rumors about wireless CarPlay :(

#5 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm aware of the Android Auto issue and although I use an Android phone, I'm not bothered by that as I'd likely not want to use the phone in the car.

Another question I have is how good is the actual satellite navigation, are the maps up to date, and is there any idea of how much it costs to update them, or have Vauxhall seen sense and allow free updates like most sat nav companies do these days (e.g.. TomTom)?

#6 ·
MBeckUK said:
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm aware of the Android Auto issue and although I use an Android phone, I'm not bothered by that as I'd likely not want to use the phone in the car.

Another question I have is how good is the actual satellite navigation, are the maps up to date, and is there any idea of how much it costs to update them, or have Vauxhall seen sense and allow free updates like most sat nav companies do these days (e.g.. TomTom)?
ive got an elite nav - id say the nav is pretty good

perfect on motorways and normal towns etc in fact

i did find it didnt give enough warnings ahead of time or in time in the center of london to let me know what lane to be in etc but it was rush hour and it was bedlam so perhaps any nav would of struggled to allow for the chaos going on around me

the nav systems traffic avoidance doesnt seem great tbh - sometimes it asks you to avoid a 20 minute delay etc on motorway route but having ignored that option the road ahead turned out to have no delay in fact

other times you will come to a standstill on motorways with no warning of upcoming delay from the nav even though traffic info on the radio is aware of the issue and mentioning it

it also annoyingly tends to warn you of "caution- slow moving traffic " once youre already at a standstill more often then in advance of the slow moving traffic

minor niggles tbh and could easily be made perfect with a software update at a later point

#7 ·
oldskool, I assume the nav uses Trafficmaster for its traffic infomration so I think those issues you mention are more to do with their service than the 900. The satnav in my Civic is just the same and that uses trafficmaster.

#8 ·
gadgetgaz said:
oldskool, I assume the nav uses Trafficmaster for its traffic infomration so I think those issues you mention are more to do with their service than the 900. The satnav in my Civic is just the same and that uses trafficmaster.
i have no idea mate tbh what system they use im afraid but im sure someone else will be able to advise

#9 ·
I have a Techline with the satnav. The screens are far superior to the 7" and the standard screen between the dials.

I use the satnav for five or more journeys a day, it is perfectly decent for an OEM satnav, but several years behind my 4year old TomTom in terms of accuracy and intelligence of route selection and the live traffic update is a joke in comparison.

I should caveat that by saying most OEM satnavs compare poorly to TomTom, other than the ones with integral TomTom infact!

#10 ·
I went for the model without Nav, and I don't think I'm missing out. I felt it wasn't worth the extra when I already had a separate TomTom with lifetime updates. As it happens I've been using Google Maps via Androidauto and it seems to work really well.

#12 ·
Paulch said:
arek said:
8"navi900 also doesn't have automatic date setting via RDS (where 7" has this feature).
Hi

Mine navi900 updates the clock and date with RDS it's a setting in the menu.

Cheers

Paul
I agree Paul, mine does as well!

You also get a wider driver info screen, which is colour and has better sign display at the bottom and clearer info regarding cruise control setting.

I use the thumb controls on steering wheel to control playback of media and phone etc.

#13 ·
Figgz said:
MBeckUK said:
1. Yes, the facia of the panel is different, the 7" screen has a rugged plastic look around the screen where the 8" is high gloss and of course fit's better due to filling out the space.

2. Yes, you also get color board computer (really high resolution) that also shows speed limit, distance to car in front (by color of car), lane assist information if available etc
(http://i.auto-bild.de/ir_img/1/2/6/7/7/8/9/Opel-Astra-K-IAA-2015-Vorstellung-Motoren-und-Preis-1200x800-7666be7011594d25.jpg)
You also get the shark fin antenna instead of the long standard type ;)

3. Yes, the steering wheel controls are different aswell, you toggle the BC with the steering wheel and not the indicator stalk as on 7" screen models.

So choose Nav 7 days a week :)
just for info - you dont get the speed limit info or distance to car in front etc in a normal elite nav unless you add options ( in the uk at least )

#17 ·
arek said:
Different software... interesting. Is your car sold as Opel or Vauxhall? (mine as Opel)

Photo from my car - no date RDS settings. Few other people here also reported no RDS settings in navi900 (while 7" R4.0 has RDS date settings)
Hi

Vauxhall - delivered 23/1/2016 and built at Ellesmere Port.

Cheers

Paul

#19 ·
Proph said:
Can you post the screen shot with the RMS setting please?
Hi

This shows the time setting, the date setting looks the same.

Time setup main screen
View attachment 74

Screen after selecting auto set
View attachment 74

I've no idea why it has rotated the images through 180 degrees.

Cheers

Paul

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.