Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 1.4 SRi Nav
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nav display has stopped dimming automatically. I can set it to dark mode manually and back to light manually but putting the setting to auto just keeps it bright. The headlights seem to working ok when on auto (I'm thinking they probably work off the same sensor) so I'm a bit puzzled. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
91 Posts
My nav display has stopped dimming automatically. I can set it to dark mode manually and back to light manually but putting the setting to auto just keeps it bright. The headlights seem to working ok when on auto (I'm thinking they probably work off the same sensor) so I'm a bit puzzled. Anyone got any ideas?
Have you tried dimming it using the dimmer control on the instrument panel illumination control (p.140) in my manual.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
There are 3 states the automatic light sensor can be in.

1. Night mode (Dimmed)
2. Day mode (Not dimmed)
3. Day mode, but weather is bad, wipers running, foglamp turned on and so on. (Also not dimmed)

In mode 3, the headlamps comes on, but the displays do not dim.

Or atleast that was how my astra did it.

·
Registered
2017 1.4 SRi Nav
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In mode 3, the headlamps comes on, but the displays do not dim.
The attached image shows the options I get. When in auto the screen use to dim in tunnels or dark nights, now it doesn't. If I set it to Night the screen does dim so the auto setting isn't doing anything. I was guessing it was to do with a sensor but have very little knowledge car electrics / black magic.
Product Gadget Font Communication Device Rectangle

Have you tried dimming it using the dimmer control on the instrument panel illumination control
Didn't want to go down this route, I'm thinking that if its meant to do it automatically then thats what I want to happen. but thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
The attached image shows the options I get. When in auto the screen use to dim in tunnels or dark nights, now it doesn't. If I set it to Night the screen does dim so the auto setting isn't doing anything. I was guessing it was to do with a sensor but have very little knowledge car electrics / black magic. View attachment 8602

Didn't want to go down this route, I'm thinking that if its meant to do it automatically then thats what I want to happen. but thanks for the suggestion.
So what happens when you go through the tunnel, does it automatically turn on the low beam ?

Is the light switch set to AUTO ?

·
Registered
2017 1.4 SRi Nav
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what happens when you go through the tunnel, does it automatically turn on the low beam ?

Is the light switch set to AUTO ?
Yes light switch always on auto and even going under a bridge in slow traffic the lights came on and the screen dimmed. Now lights come on but screen doesn't dim. Not an issue under a bridge but at night I know it should dim so when it doesn't and I have to go into settings it winds me up. I did run it for a while in night mode and as nsanderson says above it doesn't look bad. But the fact that it isn't working the way it is designed to work makes me want it sorting.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Yes light switch always on auto and even going under a bridge in slow traffic the lights came on and the screen dimmed. Now lights come on but screen doesn't dim. Not an issue under a bridge but at night I know it should dim so when it doesn't and I have to go into settings it winds me up. I did run it for a while in night mode and as nsanderson says above it doesn't look bad. But the fact that it isn't working the way it is designed to work makes me want it sorting.
Sounds like the car works fine, but the screen is the problem

Either the screen is defective or the signal from the car does not get to the screen.

I would think nowadays, that the signal is not a wire, that can be broken, but rather a command on the bus.

I am out of ideas.

·
Super Moderator
91 Posts
Have you tried dimming it using the dimmer control on the instrument panel illumination control (p.140) in my manual.
It Does do it automatically, but you have to chose the brightness level yourself, as detailed below.
140 Lighting

Interior lighting

Instrument panel illumination control

Brightness of the following lights can be adjusted in position AUTO when the light sensor detects night conditions, or in position 8 or 9.

● instrument panel illumination

● Info-Display

● illuminated switches and operation elements

Turn thumb wheel A and hold until the desired brightness is obtained.
Once this has been set to your preferred brightness level, you shouldn't need to adjust this again.

Can you confirm whether you have tried this procedure? If not, you should try it before you do anything else.

This certainly works on my MY17 Astra.

·
Registered
2017 1.4 SRi Nav
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you confirm whether you have tried this procedure? If not, you should try it before you do anything else.
Tried it. There is only a slight difference and there is still a clear difference between night mode and day mode no matter what the illumination control is set at. But as you say it was worth making sure that it wasn't something as simple as this before doing anything else. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts