Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the bottom of the home "dashboard", it says APP INFO. In there you can change the units of measurement. Choices are imperial, metric and English!

Now, on my last fuel fill up, my car trip computer told me my average fuel economy was 44mpg. On calculation, I got nearer 37mpg.

Back to the app; imperial units shows 44mpg. When I change to English units, I get 37mpg!

So now the app does seem accurate. A little misleading though as you think you're getting better mpg than you actually are unless you check it.

I wonder if you can change to English units in the car menus? Will have a look in the morning.

Maybe this will solve claims of inaccurate mpg readouts.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
856 Posts
KevWak said:
At the bottom of the home "dashboard", it says APP INFO. In there you can change the units of measurement. Choices are imperial, metric and English!

Now, on my last fuel fill up, my car trip computer told me my average fuel economy was 44mpg. On calculation, I got nearer 37mpg.

Back to the app; imperial units shows 44mpg. When I change to English units, I get 37mpg!

So now the app does seem accurate. A little misleading though as you think you're getting better mpg than you actually are unless you check it.

I wonder if you can change to English units in the car menus? Will have a look in the morning.

Maybe this will solve claims of inaccurate mpg readouts.

Thanks for reading.
Hi

The car shows Imperial, US and metric and mine has been on Imperial since I got it. I changed it to US this morning and now the MPG on the screen agrees with my manual calculation of 34mpg.

Make of that what you will but it appears you should set the car to US not Imperial for the true reading.

Cheers

Paul

G

·
Mine was set to imperial and I changed it to English. I then saw my lifetime MPG reduce by 5 mpg. I might put it back to imperial lol

·
Registered
856 Posts
M1chaelR said:
Mine was set to imperial and I changed it to English. I then saw my lifetime MPG reduce by 5 mpg. I might put it back to imperial lol
Hi

That must be in the App as the car itself only has Imperial, US and Metric no English.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The English units on the app match the American units in the car. Which is correct for English manual calculation.
Think a software update is needed for this.

G

·
Paulch said:
M1chaelR said:
Hi

That must be in the App as the car itself only has Imperial, US and Metric no English.

Cheers

Paul
Cheers, sorry I mean to say the app. Hopefully they will get the two matched via updates soon!

·
Registered
856 Posts
KevWak said:
The English units on the app match the American units in the car. Which is correct for English manual calculation.
Think a software update is needed for this.
Hi

Unfortunately this also means the climate control is now in Fahrenheit. So I can either have correct mpg or Celsius but not both.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
A US gallon (3.79 litres) is smaller than an imperial (4.55 litres) one, so by putting the car into US (or English on the app) you shouldn't be getting correct readings.

edit - unless of course you're all using US gallons in your manual calculations rather than Imperial.

·
Registered
856 Posts
1900sr said:
A US gallon (3.79 litres) is smaller than an imperial (4.55 litres) one, so by putting the car into US (or English on the app) you shouldn't be getting correct readings.

edit - unless of course you're all using US gallons in your manual calculations rather than Imperial.
Hi

I am using the imperial gallon in my calculations (4.54L = 1G). I just find it strange that if I set it to US I get the same MPG as my calculations.

Calculated 34mpg
Imperial setting 41mpg on car
US setting 34mpg on car

Figures have been rounded up but they are close enough.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
91 Posts
Paulch said:
1900sr said:

Hi

I am using the imperial gallon in my calculations (4.54L = 1G). I just find it strange that if I set it to US I get the same MPG as my calculations.

Calculated 34mpg
US setting 34mpg on car

Cheer
Paul
the reason it probably tallies up better set to us gallons is maybe pure coincidence that the ametican gallon just happens to counteract the computer and vauxhalls overestimate by an equal amount

·
Registered
856 Posts
oldskool said:
Paulch said:
1900sr said:

Hi

Calculated 34mpg
US setting 34mpg on car

Cheer
Paul
the reason it probably tallies up better set to us gallons is maybe pure coincidence that the ametican gallon just happens to counteract the computer and vauxhalls overestimate by an equal amount
Hi

It wouldn't be the first time that two development teams have used different units of measure
http://articles.latimes.com/1999/oct/01/news/mn-17288

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
33 Posts
Reading all the above , it looks like Vauxhall have got the Imperial & US gallons the wrong way round!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.