Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car is getting under my skin for all the wrong reasons. I recently had a full set of TPMS sensors and stems replaced and now the rears have started leaking again and just for giggles, if on the rears you move the stem sideways a little the air escapes quicker than ever :mad: The fronts don't do this but they are letting it out much more slowly.

And to add insult to injury, I discovered this while I had the front wheel off sorting out a rubbing wheel arch liner...

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

It's a 2019 car so should be under warranty BUT, the dealer that sold us the car (independent, not main) serviced the car too late for Vauxhall to agree to honour the warranty.

In the next couple of weeks I have the car going to a garage that I've been using for many years and I trust for an inspection (which I do for any car whether it's from a dealer or private sale) and to pull the 3rd year service forward. The dealer who sold me the car is 3.5 hours away so it's cost effective to learn a little more about the nature of the issues before discussions begin.

I have stressed the point with the dealer that we bought a car with 8 months manufacturers warranty remaining (now 6 months) and that this was the premise for buying this car, meaning we could get dealer support locally. They've been unable to get this resolved and concluded that I should just ring them if anything goes wrong.

So, who's had problems with wheels and valves and how was it resolved and has anyone else had an oil leak originating from behind the alternator towards the top of the engine?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Dunno about the oil leak Sporall but the weeping valves are pretty well documented on here. They all seem to point towards the alloys corroding around the stem, allowing small leaks to develop. At least one of the members here has had a full new set of wheels replaced by VX under a warranty claim.

They will use any excuse available to them to get out of a warranty claim which I personally think is a bloody disgrace.

Reactions: Hector Hound

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dunno about the oil leak Sporall but the weeping valves are pretty well documented on here. They all seem to point towards the alloys corroding around the stem, allowing small leaks to develop. At least one of the members here has had a full new set of wheels replaced by VX under a warranty claim.

They will use any excuse available to them to get out of a warranty claim which I personally think is a bloody disgrace.
Thanks for the info. I noticed that there was a bit written on the sensor issues, many have had success in simply replacing the stems but that appears likely to not be my solution. Maybe powder coating will work. Is it a finishing issue or dimensional problem I wonder? Replacing like with like sounds like you'd be deferring the inevitable unless Vauxhall changed something.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Apologies to Boroboy if I'm remembering incorrectly but I seem to remember him saying he had this problem but since he got his wheels powder coated all has been fine.

Can you confirm Boroboy ?

Reactions: Boroboy and Sporall

·
Registered
350 Posts
Were they OEM stems and sensors? And why replace the sensors too (do the sensors just screw onto the stems)?

I thought my leaking stems were corrosion but it seems one of them at least was me using dodgy aftermarket stems.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Apologies to Boroboy if I'm remembering incorrectly but I seem to remember him saying he had this problem but since he got his wheels powder coated all has been fine.

Can you confirm Boroboy ?
Ive had them powder coated in black, but not due to the stems leaking. I bought a set of 16's to replace the 17's, one of the 16's needed refurbishing, so I had all 4 done in gloss black. Had the 4 powder coated in black for £180 Inc new valve stems. Not lost any noticeable air within 8 months of ownership. The valve stems to independent fitted seemed better than the original ones, stems were chunkier and seemed sturdier.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
@Sporall You can normally see pitting around the valve stem bases when the alloys are badly pitted. They can usually be sealed OK. There's a lot of cheap stems going around too. I'd go back to the tyre place and have the stems replaced and reseated again. Ask them to dip test your wheels/stems afterwards to make sure they're sealed ok. Dropping them in a tank of water, basically, that's if they have one. They've obviously not done a decent job to start with. Your car is still relatively new, so I'd be surprised if your alloys need painting or powder coating again for this reason.
Not sure about the oil leak, but should be covered under warranty, as your car is less than 3 years old.
I forgot to say you can get a variation of temperature of up to 3 psi per tyre from summer to winter outside temperatures or if one side of your car was sat in the sun, other not. Was just thinking about the two front ones, as you said they had a slow leak.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
@Boroboy & @Crunchynut I'm fairly certain they did just the stems, I think they were around £8 each. Perhaps it's worth buying original parts? Although if it was OE parts that were replaced then they were leaking too :unsure:
My current ones fitted were not original, but they're a lot sturdier than the original ones. Stems seem a bit thicker too. Think they normally charge a fiver a wheel, but it was in with the price of getting mine powder coated. I did have another set changed too on my previous Astra K 1.6d, kwikfit did them, as I took my alloys to them with a set of valve stems. They had to mess around with one of the wheels for a while, using a couple of stems before they got it to seal properly. I didn't pay over the odds for them either, as I priced matched them with another local garage, kwikfit charged me £10 a wheel to put a tyre on & fit the valve stems to which I provided, inc the ones they'd used. Fortunately they carried a few spares. I'd just take it back to where you had them fitted & explain to them that they've leaked ever since. Would they sort them.

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I do not think it’s to do with the sturdiness of the stems - more the profile of the stem seat and how that interacts with the hole in the wheel. I was surprised to see how different the supposed compatible aftermarket stem was to the OEM stem, in that the rebate (the groove around the stem that’s sits in the hole) was much wider with the OEM stem. This might be nonsense, but to my thinking, if the rebate isn’t wide enough so can’t fully settle around the hole, then it is likely to leak.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do not think it’s to do with the sturdiness of the stems - more the profile of the stem seat and how that interacts with the hole in the wheel. I was surprised to see how different the supposed compatible aftermarket stem was to the OEM stem, in that the rebate (the groove around the stem that’s sits in the hole) was much wider with the OEM stem. This might be nonsense, but to my thinking, if the rebate isn’t wide enough so can’t fully settle around the hole, then it is likely to leak.
I bought two genuine stems over the weekend to replace the rears which are the worst offenders. Fingers crossed!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts