Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Just an update on this, now that people are working again and I can get things moving!
Despite being fobbed off when I rang to make a complaint, being told it would basically make no difference, I posted my letter of complaint anyway, but it has been redirected despite it being sent to the address for Customer Care on their website.
So this morning I emailed a copy of it to Vauxhall CEO Paul Willcox. Around an hour later I got an email back from an 'Executive Support Manager' who he'd apparently asked to reply to me and keep him informed, I guess it's unlikely he'll have anything to do with it. She's asked me to email any paperwork from my 2019 and 2020 services so I've got hold of what I can from Motordepot and emailed them across today. Problem is Motordepot don't have a record of the oil used and this seems to be something Vauxhall were keen to know, so I still think they'll use that against me but at least going to the top has made things happen a bit quicker!
Good move Mark going to the top and why not ? Even the very top is a human and sometimes like to hear of any issues. Prob the chief exec personal assistant opened your email and passed it onto a support manager but at least it was acknowledged .You Never know mark , new year , something might come of it but that oil issue is in Vauxhalls favour .Motordepot have only got to go back and see what oil they purchased in 2019/20 - their accountant could tell you that.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Just an update on this, now that people are working again and I can get things moving!
Despite being fobbed off when I rang to make a complaint, being told it would basically make no difference, I posted my letter of complaint anyway, but it has been redirected despite it being sent to the address for Customer Care on their website.
So this morning I emailed a copy of it to Vauxhall CEO Paul Willcox. Around an hour later I got an email back from an 'Executive Support Manager' who he'd apparently asked to reply to me and keep him informed, I guess it's unlikely he'll have anything to do with it. She's asked me to email any paperwork from my 2019 and 2020 services so I've got hold of what I can from Motordepot and emailed them across today. Problem is Motordepot don't have a record of the oil used and this seems to be something Vauxhall were keen to know, so I still think they'll use that against me but at least going to the top has made things happen a bit quicker!
I hope you get somewhere with your complaint. It should be up to Vauxhall to prove the wrong oil was used, not which oil you had used, anyway. Your book was stamped or you've had confirmation of the service, that should be enough. As most of us know it's a design fault with this engine which caused the lspi issues.

·
Registered
2017 Astra 1.4t SRi VX-Line
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
If I'd never been told I could expect a 'significant contribution' I might not have taken this as far. The guy who told me that knew my service history and said it just needed to be confirmed, which it now has been. Calls are recorded so if they're still refusing to help I will push them on that next and also try the Motor Ombudsman, seems like they can potentially help once I have a final answer from Vauxhall. I have the oil issue against me but that call potentially for me, hopefully they can come to some kind of compromise and at least offer a good contribution.
Kind of using the thread as a bit of a diary but I really appreciate the continued interest and input, and hopefully it helps others with the issue too.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
If I'd never been told I could expect a 'significant contribution' I might not have taken this as far. The guy who told me that knew my service history and said it just needed to be confirmed, which it now has been. Calls are recorded so if they're still refusing to help I will push them on that next and also try the Motor Ombudsman, seems like they can potentially help once I have a final answer from Vauxhall. I have the oil issue against me but that call potentially for me, hopefully they can come to some kind of compromise and at least offer a good contribution.
Kind of using the thread as a bit of a diary but I really appreciate the continued interest and input, and hopefully it helps others with the issue too.
At least you have proof that your car has a full service history, even though not totally with vauxhall.
Maybe with enough pressure, they'll hopefully relent and offer you a good will gesture, as they should. No one expects to buy a relatively new car and the expect their engine to blow up or fail, due to a flaw within its design. You have nothing to lose now, so I'd take it as far as you can. Obviously I doubt Stellantis would want the bad publicity too, highlighting the fact that this engine wasn't fit for purpose, there's an inherent design fault too. Maybe with the threat of the ombudsman, they may see sense.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Got a reply from Vauxhall...

I have investigated your vehicle concerns with Bristol Street Motors Durham and internally.

As a result, we would like to offer a contribution towards the engine replacement as a gesture of goodwill and in full and final settlement of your case, which would leave around £3,600 for yourself to cover.
This means their contribution is around £900, or one fifth, which still isn't much help and still means it's cheaper to take it elsewhere.

Going to think about it over the weekend but I've drafted a potential response...

Thank you for your response and for taking the time to investigate this matter.

The offer of a contribution, which appears to be around £900, or one fifth of the cost, falls some way short of what I would call 'significant', which is what I was initially told to expect. Had a significant contribution actually been offered as anticipated before Christmas, I would have accepted that and would have been well on the way to having my car back by now. Considering the additional stress, inconvenience and extra travel costs I have, and will incur as a result of the delay through miscommunication, it's very disappointing that Vauxhall are still not willing to contribute a significant amount. In my opinion a suitable and acceptable gesture of goodwill would have been to honour what I was originally told by Marq Maynard on 17 December 2021 as well as an additional amount for the added stress and costs mentioned.

I respectfully wish to decline the offer. If this is your final position I will be seeking legal advice from a solicitor as well as consulting the Motor Ombudsman. With this is mind, could you please provide an explanation as to how and why you have arrived at this decision, as well as any details you have of the engine failure that has occurred.

In the meantime I would also like to advise that despite declining your offer, I wish to leave the car at Bristol Street Durham, to avoid risking any further damage and costs, until the matter is fully resolved, however long this may take.

I hope to hear from you soon either with a significantly better offer, or with the details I have requested so I can take this further.

Thank you again for your time.
Am I being unreasonable/unrealistic in expecting more? I don't think I am. I'm not normally one to fight my corner too hard but I really don't want to give up with this!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Got a reply from Vauxhall...

This means their contribution is around £900, or one fifth, which still isn't much help and still means it's cheaper to take it elsewhere.

Going to think about it over the weekend but I've drafted a potential response...

Am I being unreasonable/unrealistic in expecting more? I don't think I am. I'm not normally one to fight my corner too hard but I really don't want to give up with this!
Hi
Exactly what prob most of us thought but at least it’s something , I guess with the oil issue that’s why its quite low. Some have had no compensation some have had a virtually a new engine under warranty - really depends on a few things that VX will look at and make a decision .Saying that like you mark I wouldn’t be happy at all and would push for a revised figure . Express your dissapointment and your expectations were of a lot more.
Failing everything ombudsman next but you will wait along time going down that route.
2nd hand engine is a possibility also WITH a guarantee or failing everything get rid but I guess it’s in pieces at dealer ? And to get it fixed up,they will prob charge you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Hi
Exactly what prob most of us thought but at least it’s something , I guess with the oil issue that’s why its quite low. Some have had no compensation some have had a virtually a new engine under warranty - really depends on a few things that VX will look at and make a decision .Saying that like you mark I wouldn’t be happy at all and would push for a revised figure . Express your dissapointment and your expectations were of a lot more.
Failing everything ombudsman next but you will wait along time going down that route.
2nd hand engine is a possibility also WITH a guarantee or failing everything get rid but I guess it’s in pieces at dealer ? And to get it fixed up,they will prob charge you.
I ended up sending that email and they've came back pretty quick, they're going to listen to the recording of the call when we discussed my service history and I was told I could expect a significant contribution, then they're going to confirm their "full and final position".

I guess the ombudsman route would take a long time so it is tempting to get a used engine and get it fixed independently then end my PCP agreement pretty soon after (they won't take it back in the state it's in). I could probably get it done for around £2k. I think it is ready to drive away from the dealers but it might not get me far, the journey there was a struggle.
If I did have a decent case under some consumer law I could always think about a small claims court afterwards, get a free half hour solicitors consultation to see if it's worth it. But realistically they are probably pretty well protected in law so I'm relying mainly on their good will, and they don't seem to have a lot of that!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I ended up sending that email and they've came back pretty quick, they're going to listen to the recording of the call when we discussed my service history and I was told I could expect a significant contribution, then they're going to confirm their "full and final position".

I guess the ombudsman route would take a long time so it is tempting to get a used engine and get it fixed independently then end my PCP agreement pretty soon after (they won't take it back in the state it's in). I could probably get it done for around £2k. I think it is ready to drive away from the dealers but it might not get me far, the journey there was a struggle.
If I did have a decent case under some consumer law I could always think about a small claims court afterwards, get a free half hour solicitors consultation to see if it's worth it. But realistically they are probably pretty well protected in law so I'm relying mainly on their good will, and they don't seem to have a lot of that!
See what they come back with, obviously you'd get more for your car with a new engine fitted, than a used one.
Have you any idea what your car would be worth, as is?
I suppose legally speaking, now it's out of warranty they may not be legally responsible to give you anything at all, but as you'd said they offered you more, verbally and it's a known fault.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
See what they come back with, obviously you'd get more for your car with a new engine fitted, than a used one.
Have you any idea what your car would be worth, as is?
I suppose legally speaking, now it's out of warranty they may not be legally responsible to give you anything at all, but as you'd said they offered you more, verbally and it's a known fault.
I phoned Motordepot who my PCP is with and they actually said it didn't make a difference to them where I got the engine done, just that the car was in full working order. My balloon payment if I kept the car until the end (August this year) is £4,900 and the car is worth about £9,500 when fixed, a little less by then maybe, maybe not the way things are going! Not sure how much it's worth in its current condition. Even webuyanycar was £9,600 when I'd selected the replaced engine option. So they should buy it back off me for at least £9k, hoping to get some back as cash and put some towards a deposit on my next car. The positive equity makes this all a bit more palatable but I don't want to lose it all paying for this, plus I don't really have the cash up front especially this month of all months!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I phoned Motordepot who my PCP is with and they actually said it didn't make a difference to them where I got the engine done, just that the car was in full working order. My balloon payment if I kept the car until the end (August this year) is £4,900 and the car is worth about £9,500 when fixed, a little less by then maybe, maybe not the way things are going! Not sure how much it's worth in its current condition. Even webuyanycar was £9,600 when I'd selected the replaced engine option. So they should buy it back off me for at least £9k, hoping to get some back as cash and put some towards a deposit on my next car. The positive equity makes this all a bit more palatable but I don't want to lose it all paying for this, plus I don't really have the cash up front especially this month of all months!
Sounds like you are doing the right thing to me, push for a higher good will gesture from vaux, otherwise fit a used engine & get rid.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Well they didn't go any further...

We have reviewed all correspondence, however we have not identified any recordings where a significant contribution was advised.

Our position does remain full and final to offer the contribution we have. This has been offered purely as a gesture of goodwill, and as your vehicle is outside of the manufacturer’s warranty of 3 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, we are not contractually obliged to financially assist.

The retailer have advised us the vehicle is misfiring as cylinder 1 has lost compression, which as a result, a new engine is required. For further details on their diagnostic, please contact the retailer directly.

I note you wish to leave the vehicle at Bristol Street Motors Durham, however you will need to discuss this with them directly, as all retailers are independently owned, and they may have a storage charge.

I hope this clarifies the questions asked and should you wish to accept our gesture of goodwill, please confirm so via reply email.
I wrote their mention of a significant contribution down on a piece of paper while I was on the phone, so I don't know how they haven't heard that, but I think it's time to accept defeat and take it elsewhere where I'm hoping I can get it done for around half the cost. Tired of getting the bus every day already!
Still considering a free consultation with a consumer law solicitor, but I expect I'd only be told Vauxhall are covered legally and I probably have no rights.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well they didn't go any further...

I wrote their mention of a significant contribution down on a piece of paper while I was on the phone, so I don't know how they haven't heard that, but I think it's time to accept defeat and take it elsewhere where I'm hoping I can get it done for around half the cost. Tired of getting the bus every day already!
Still considering a free consultation with a consumer law solicitor, but I expect I'd only be told Vauxhall are covered legally and I probably have no rights.
Sometimes you’ve got to cut & run for your own mental well-being , these things can make a person very depressed for obvious reasons , stick a running secondhand engine in & get rid quick. You’ll probably never buy a Vauxhall again but that’s how these things make you feel when you’ve had the trouble you’ve experienced.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Sometimes you’ve got to cut & run for your own mental well-being , these things can make a person very depressed for obvious reasons , stick a running secondhand engine in & get rid quick. You’ll probably never buy a Vauxhall again but that’s how these things make you feel when you’ve had the trouble you’ve experienced.
Yeah I think that's what I'm going to do. My garage seemed to think I could pick one up for about £600 with £600 labour on top, which is very reasonable, but I'm struggling to find anything under £1,400 for just the engine at the moment. Certainly has been a draining experience with the only positive being weight loss through extra walking, or it could just be the stress!

I still really want to switch to a 1.6T. This has left a bad taste with Vauxhall but I just keep telling myself it would probably be the same with most manufacturers. I don't want to be put off completely because I did love that car, had everything I needed and did everything I wanted until recently, so I think I'd be happy with a similar one with a 1.6T engine, which seems to be a very reliable engine.

Again thanks for the advice / encouragement / sympathy etc on here!

61 - 73 of 73 Posts