Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Something like this or is this site dodgy? Two vastly different prices for what appears to be the same engine...

Got through to my case manager and he's going to try getting my service history details from Motordepot himself and said he can't promise anything but he'll see what he can do. I think I'd be lucky to even get a 50% contribution now which would mean it would still probably be cheaper sourcing an engine myself and going to an independent garage.
You'll just have to wait and see what vauxhall come back with, then look into your options. Hopefully they'll give you a decent contribution towards the engine replacement. Have they started any work on it and would it cost you anything to take it away and possibly fit a used engine? Certainly a difficult situation to be within.
Hope all goes well for you.

·
Registered
2017 Astra 1.4t SRi VX-Line
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
You'll just have to wait and see what vauxhall come back with, then look into your options. Hopefully they'll give you a decent contribution towards the engine replacement. Have they started any work on it and would it cost you anything to take it away and possibly fit a used engine? Certainly a difficult situation to be within.
Hope all goes well for you.
Just had the call back from them. They confirmed dates of my previous services with Motordepot but are still refusing to contribute anything! They said this is because two of my three services weren't done by a Vauxhall dealer. The other case handler I spoke to last week knew this and said I can expect a 'significant contribution' if the service history I told him was confirmed, now it has been and they're saying zero!

I think it should be ready to collect from the dealer if I want to sort it myself, but Black Horse Finance have a complaints procedure for substandard products and failing that, the Financial Ombudsman appears to have dealt with similar cases and settled in favour of the customer, forcing the finance company to take the car back. I think I'll also be making a complaint to Vauxhall for how this has been handled.

Looks like this could be the start of a long process! This certainly leaves a bad taste with Vauxhall and makes me question whether I want to get a 1.6t or move over to Seat or Kia or something.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Just had the call back from them. They confirmed dates of my previous services with Motordepot but are still refusing to contribute anything! They said this is because two of my three services weren't done by a Vauxhall dealer. The other case handler I spoke to last week knew this and said I can expect a 'significant contribution' if the service history I told him was confirmed, now it has been and they're saying zero!

I think it should be ready to collect from the dealer if I want to sort it myself, but Black Horse Finance have a complaints procedure for substandard products and failing that, the Financial Ombudsman appears to have dealt with similar cases and settled in favour of the customer, forcing the finance company to take the car back. I think I'll also be making a complaint to Vauxhall for how this has been handled.

Looks like this could be the start of a long process! This certainly leaves a bad taste with Vauxhall and makes me question whether I want to get a 1.6t or move over to Seat or Kia or something.
Good luck with the finance company, keep us posted on that.
I can understand how you feel about vauxhall, I'd feel exactly the same way. This is also a known issue, as we all know on here. Neither do I feel vauxhall have treat you fairly. I was hoping you'd receive at least a 50% contribution towards the cost, considering it's a known fault and you have a fsh too.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
As Boroboy said good luck with the finance company , they may well have some leverage going forwards. Financial ombudsman will be next step but doesn’t help you in the meantime. Also ‘if’ you collect car will it run / have they put it all back together again / will you have a huge bill by them ? Lots of answers needed . And I fully know where you are coming from if you decide to change manufacturers. I’ve had a few SEAT cars in the past and currently have a 71 plate Ibiza FR tsi. Good little cars , Seat customer service I find pretty good as well. If it’s a Leon you are looking at i really like these as well , the 1.4tsi engine in manual form is a cracker , no such LSPI on these. Also the 1.8tsi is very good - just expect a few rattles from dash / doors etc which are more annoying than serious. But SEAT have had their fair share of engine problems with the 2019 - 1.5 tsi , the famous ’kangaroo ing’ is still going on .

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Didn't the latest VW update sort this? That's the engine that shuts one cylinder down on a long run, is it not? To save fuel.
Yes Boroboy it shuts down a cylinder on a run , a lot of manufacturers have employed this technique with engines , I guess it works but something else to go wrong on your car. Indeed with SEAT many owners complain of a rattle in the engine bay when this deactivate system starts .And NO the latest update has only semi cured some cars , some no different at all , some much better. Still many many complaints about this on various forums (Seat , Audi , Skoda , VW) who all share this engine. Dont think I’d put my money in a 1.5 , I’d go for the 3 pot 1.0 or get a rare 2.0tsi.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Been struggling to get any answer out of Customer Services all week and they seem to have changed my case manager to someone else. Got a call this morning from the dealer saying they're not going to contribute anything and the cost will be £4,500! This seems to be due to missing stamps from my 2019 and 2020 services. Hoping the situation might change if I can get proof of that service history but what a pain this is :(
I'm sorry, i just knew this would be the outcome, they have turned down so many others in a similar situation, so if they did not do it to you, they would risk a lot of angry costumers, that paid for this themselves.

Honestly, the only solution, going forward is to NOT give Stellantis your money.

I know for certain that the 2 Vauxhall's (Opel) i have in my driveway, will be the last vauxhall's i ever own. Atleast unless Opel is sold to someone "Not French", i have always loathed the French, and the way stellantis treats their costumers when they come to them with something that is obviously a factory defect, that has made your engine break WAY to soon, is just appaling.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'm sorry, i just knew this would be the outcome, they have turned down so many others in a similar situation, so if they did not do it to you, they would risk a lot of angry costumers, that paid for this themselves.

Honestly, the only solution, going forward is to NOT give Stellantis your money.

I know for certain that the 2 Vauxhall's (Opel) i have in my driveway, will be the last vauxhall's i ever own. Atleast unless Opel is sold to someone "Not French", i have always loathed the French, and the way stellantis treats their costumers when they come to them with something that is obviously a factory defect, that has made your engine break WAY to soon, is just appaling.
Yet "Stellantis", are a very large conglomerate, the Corsa being the U.K's best selling car. The company is now the world 5th largest car company.
Just a shame they treat their customers so badly, especially when the lspi issue with this engine was so well documented.

·
Registered
75 Posts
A couple of points here , it makes me laugh how Vauxhall use the lame excuse of having someone else outside of the dealer network service the car. The law states that as long as it’s a VAT registered garage & all the correct parts are used they (Vauxhall) can’t use that as an excuse. Our then back in 2008 Corsa D had £3000 of warranty work done by the Vauxhall dealer who didn’t sell us the car & it never went anywhere near a Vauxhall dealer for servicing. So it appears they just change the rules of the game whenever they want to , poor & inconsistent behaviour based on nothing in particular but their mood swings. I wonder if the latest electronic digital service records are going to be any better ? Probably not if someone forgets to input the data on the service record. We in this country waste eye watering amounts of money on motoring , buying cars that are often too overly complex for our needs , finance charges , cost of fuel , cost of insurance , tax , repairs , tyres , servicing , parking charges , fines for all sorts of parking your car in the wrong places etc etc. I know it’s a privilege to be able to drive yourself from A-B , but it doesn’t feel like that when the cost of motoring is so high. No wonder there’s so many cars on our roads with very little maintenance being done & why so many prestige badged motors are not taxed or insured. Somewhere down the line we’ve all been swept up in the lust for the latest thing in style & technology for many many years now & the bottom line is to some extent we’ve all been fooled by this , after all we’re only trying to get from A-B. Then your lovely nearly new car that your convinced is going to make your life oh so much better fails to live up to the star billing the salesperson promised , makes you wonder if it’s ever been worth all the time & money it’s now robbing you of.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
A couple of points here , it makes me laugh how Vauxhall use the lame excuse of having someone else outside of the dealer network service the car. The law states that as long as it’s a VAT registered garage & all the correct parts are used they (Vauxhall) can’t use that as an excuse. Our then back in 2008 Corsa D had £3000 of warranty work done by the Vauxhall dealer who didn’t sell us the car & it never went anywhere near a Vauxhall dealer for servicing. So it appears they just change the rules of the game whenever they want to , poor & inconsistent behaviour based on nothing in particular but their mood swings. I wonder if the latest electronic digital service records are going to be any better ? Probably not if someone forgets to input the data on the service record. We in this country waste eye watering amounts of money on motoring , buying cars that are often too overly complex for our needs , finance charges , cost of fuel , cost of insurance , tax , repairs , tyres , servicing , parking charges , fines for all sorts of parking your car in the wrong places etc etc. I know it’s a privilege to be able to drive yourself from A-B , but it doesn’t feel like that when the cost of motoring is so high. No wonder there’s so many cars on our roads with very little maintenance being done & why so many prestige badged motors are not taxed or insured. Somewhere down the line we’ve all been swept up in the lust for the latest thing in style & technology for many many years now & the bottom line is to some extent we’ve all been fooled by this , after all we’re only trying to get from A-B. Then your lovely nearly new car that your convinced is going to make your life oh so much better fails to live up to the star billing the salesperson promised , makes you wonder if it’s ever been worth all the time & money it’s now robbing you of.
I'm now of the opinion that Vauxhall dealerships don't even like taking in warranty work now, as it pays less, as they have to do work at a discounted rate to them. Unlike when doing work directly for a paying customer. So good will is becoming a thing of the past I'm afraid. Although it can pay to keep your car in-house for servicing.
Unfortunately manufacturers have us over a barrel now, time for our government to get some balls and change the law. I could think of loads of improvements to make, Inc the 'right to repair', not having to use their expensive diagnostic systems.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm now of the opinion that Vauxhall dealerships don't even like taking in warranty work now, as it pays less, as they have to do work at a discounted rate to them. Unlike when doing work directly for a paying customer. So good will is becoming a thing of the past I'm afraid. Although it can pay to keep your car in-house for servicing.
Unfortunately manufacturers have us over a barrel now, time for our government to get some balls and change the law. I could think of loads of improvements to make, Inc the 'right to repair', not having to use their expensive diagnostic systems.
Agreed , we should have the same power as Americans can muster when a car maker sells us a poorly engineered product. Get them up in front of government & then force them by law & dish out massive fines if they don’t repair everyone’s faulty motor FOC.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
A couple of points here , it makes me laugh how Vauxhall use the lame excuse of having someone else outside of the dealer network service the car. The law states that as long as it’s a VAT registered garage & all the correct parts are used they (Vauxhall) can’t use that as an excuse.
This is the same here, they say that if a garage is doing services, using vauxhall standards and parts, they can not refuse warranty claims.

BUT...If the car is out of actual warranty, they do the work "per ex gratia" (I hope this translated well, i dont know if this is the right English word, but basically they do it "even if they don't have to, according to the warranty rights")

This means that, atleast here, they do it "out of the good of their heart, without actually having any legal obligation to do so" and thus, they can decide themselves if they want to help you.

Only if the problem is deemed to be a safety risk (Brake/clutch recall on the diesel for example) they have to do something. They could potentially say "not our problem, car is out of warranty" but they know that if the minister for traffic issues a "No drive" order on any of these cars, without the repair being carried out, that they are going to be in a massive shitstorm, if they do not do it. But still, it is purely economical for them...If the projected losses from angry costumers and shitstorms, is higher than the price for doing the repairs themselves, then they will do it.

Reactions: Hector Hound

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Exactly, i was told the same...The hourly rate for this kind of work, carried out on behalf of Stellantis, and at their expense, is paid "a lot" less.

So especially if the garage is able to book all of its hours on normal paying costumers, why would they take time to document and send in requests, that if accepted, will mean that they will be obliged to do work at a reduced hourly rate.

From memory, i was told that Stellantis will calculate how long this job should take, they will supply the parts and only pay for labor at the reduced cost, and THEY decide how long a repair takes, so if the mechanic is slower than what they calculate, they do not get any more money.

Also, garages usually makes money, both on the hourly rates for the mechanic, but also on the markup, of parts, but when the costumer (Stellantis in this case) brings "their own" parts, they can not get any money out of the spares either.

So basically they might only get 80% of the normal hourly rate, and NO money on spares, making it a poor deal....Especially if they would otherwise have enough normal costumers to fill the books

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Exactly, i was told the same...The hourly rate for this kind of work, carried out on behalf of Stellantis, and at their expense, is paid "a lot" less.

So especially if the garage is able to book all of its hours on normal paying costumers, why would they take time to document and send in requests, that if accepted, will mean that they will be obliged to do work at a reduced hourly rate.

From memory, i was told that Stellantis will calculate how long this job should take, they will supply the parts and only pay for labor at the reduced cost, and THEY decide how long a repair takes, so if the mechanic is slower than what they calculate, they do not get any more money.

Also, garages usually makes money, both on the hourly rates for the mechanic, but also on the markup, of parts, but when the costumer (Stellantis in this case) brings "their own" parts, they can not get any money out of the spares either.

So basically they might only get 80% of the normal hourly rate, and NO money on spares, making it a poor deal....Especially if they would otherwise have enough normal costumers to fill the books
I think their 'Stellantis rates', would be around £60 an hour, normal customer rate at around £120 an hour Inc vat.
Neither do I think they're that keen on dealing with the so called vauxhall extended warranty. As it's an insurance backed warranty, recommended by vauxhall. Although when I asked a receptionist from a vaux dealer about it, she said 'I don't deal with that product'. 'I'll get someone to ring you back'. That call never came, I then purchased my extended warranty online, hope for the best during the event of making a claim. All extended warranty repairs have to be authorised first you see with the warranty company, before any work is carried out by the dealership, so no doubt a pain for the dealership to deal with too. This is where I think an in house extended vauxhall warranty would have worked better. No doubt Stellantis decided against this down to cost.
Another reason I'm in favour of a longer manufacturers warranty from standard.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I think their 'mates rates', 'Stellantis rates', would be around £60 an hour, normal customer rate at around £120 an hour Inc vat.
Neither do I think they're that keen on dealing with the so called vauxhall extended warranty. As it's an insurance backed warranty, recommended by vauxhall. Although when I asked a receptionist from a vaux dealer about it, she said 'I don't deal with that product'. 'I'll get someone to ring you back'. That call never came, I then purchased my extended warranty online. All extended warranty repairs have to be authorised first you see with the warranty company, before any work is carried out by the dealership, so no doubt a pain for the dealership to deal with too. This is where I think an in house extended vauxhall warranty would have worked better. No doubt Stellantis decided against this down to cost.
Another reason I'm in favour of a longer manufacturers warranty from standard.
Seems Toyota now has some sort of "limited" warranty that will cover you for 10 years (Or some mile figure) if you get the car services at Toyota.

No matter what, it will probably be a lot better than Stellantis "2/3 years and after that you're stuck with the expensive bill for out poor manufacturing yourself"

·
Registered
75 Posts
Jobs like replacing engines are never good jobs for garages due to time versus labour customers are willing to pay & then the issues which they will incur whenever an engine & it’s complex wiring looms are dismantled etc. It is just not a job many garages want to get stuck with & those that are willing to do the work want the right money , which is usually the figure where your local dealer sits at if it’s going to tackle the job. A few years ago a bloke turned up with an Audi He’d been quoted over £10,000 by the dealer for an new engine so he came down to my local garage , they told him no based on previous experience of swapping one of these engines out & all the aggro involved & the time spent clogging up the garage & preventing more lucrative work profit wise from being taken on. Without doubt Vauxhalls 1.4 is poorly engineered & the oil swap & ECU update should not have been needed if this engine had throughly been developed & tested before being allowed onto the production line to be fitted into the cars.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You could also put the 1.6d engine on the that list too:ROFLMAO:
Weight saving for C02 savings , what’s wrong with a good old fashioned heavy duplex chain driven cam chain ? Weight that’s why , another reason i much prefer a standard cam belt arrangement although some of the engines produced today see the Cam Belt running in the engine oil which brings it’s own reliability issues into play because if the wrong engine oil is put into the engine it can cause the Cam Belt to deteriorate very quickly as the oil is developed to not only work with the engine but also the Cam Belt as many Ford Ecoboost owners can testify to who have suffered belt deterioration leading to blockage of the oil strainer for the oil pick up pipe.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Weight saving for C02 savings , what’s wrong with a good old fashioned heavy duplex chain driven cam chain ? Weight that’s why , another reason i much prefer a standard cam belt arrangement although some of the engines produced today see the Cam Belt running in the engine oil which brings it’s own reliability issues into play because if the wrong engine oil is put into the engine it can cause the Cam Belt to deteriorate very quickly as the oil is developed to not only work with the engine but also the Cam Belt as many Ford Ecoboost owners can testify to who have suffered belt deterioration leading to blockage of the oil strainer for the oil pick up pipe.
Agree about the duplex chain and I also prefer the traditional cambelt set up, when changed as directed. We've had two cars now with problematic chain/tensioners at low mileage. My previous 1.6d Astra (well documented), also my wife had a 1.6t RCZ, that chain also failed at low mileage under manufacturers warranty, fortunately was replaced under warranty for free. Yet you'd have thought a chain would be for life, apparently not within a lot of cases.

·
Registered
2017 Astra 1.4t SRi VX-Line
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Just an update on this, now that people are working again and I can get things moving!
Despite being fobbed off when I rang to make a complaint, being told it would basically make no difference, I posted my letter of complaint anyway, but it has been redirected despite it being sent to the address for Customer Care on their website.
So this morning I emailed a copy of it to Vauxhall CEO Paul Willcox. Around an hour later I got an email back from an 'Executive Support Manager' who he'd apparently asked to reply to me and keep him informed, I guess it's unlikely he'll have anything to do with it. She's asked me to email any paperwork from my 2019 and 2020 services so I've got hold of what I can from Motordepot and emailed them across today. Problem is Motordepot don't have a record of the oil used and this seems to be something Vauxhall were keen to know, so I still think they'll use that against me but at least going to the top has made things happen a bit quicker!

41 - 60 of 73 Posts