Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Astra 1.4t SRi VX-Line
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Finally a bit of progress. Had it into a Vauxhall dealer today and they've confirmed a replacement engine is needed. They're going to keep it and strip it down to investigate the cause further, at no cost, then how much they're willing to help will depend on the cause and the service history. First two years were at Motordepot where I paid extra for their service plan, not sure if that'll count against me as it's not Vauxhall, then the third most recent one was the Vauxhall dealer who have it now.
Still hoping to push for them to cover the full cost but I'm guessing they might use the fact I didn't get it serviced by Vauxhall to push some of the blame onto me?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Finally a bit of progress. Had it into a Vauxhall dealer today and they've confirmed a replacement engine is needed. They're going to keep it and strip it down to investigate the cause further, at no cost, then how much they're willing to help will depend on the cause and the service history. First two years were at Motordepot where I paid extra for their service plan, not sure if that'll count against me as it's not Vauxhall, then the third most recent one was the Vauxhall dealer who have it now.
Still hoping to push for them to cover the full cost but I'm guessing they might use the fact I didn't get it serviced by Vauxhall to push some of the blame onto me?
Yes they certainly will try and wriggle out of paying for it , expect a considerable amount to pay unfortunately. Do you know what oil was used in the services by Motordepot ?
I remember picking my 68 plate 1.6t Sri VX-line up just over 2 years ago from an independent garage , they serviced it before I purchased it and stuck some Micky mouse oil in that was in their workshop at the time. Salesman didn’t have a clue what was used , just said what was in the workshop ! Needless to say I changed the oil 20 miles later to dex 1 gen 2 lol , £25 well spent in my eyes.
Vauxhall might ask for any service documentation regarding a warranty claim , fingers crossed Motor depot used the correct oil.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes they certainly will try and wriggle out of paying for it , expect a considerable amount to pay unfortunately. Do you know what oil was used in the services by Motordepot ?
I remember picking my 68 plate 1.6t Sri VX-line up just over 2 years ago from an independent garage , they serviced it before I purchased it and stuck some Micky mouse oil in that was in their workshop at the time. Salesman didn’t have a clue what was used , just said what was in the workshop ! Needless to say I changed the oil 20 miles later to dex 1 gen 2 lol , £25 well spent in my eyes.
Vauxhall might ask for any service documentation regarding a warranty claim , fingers crossed Motor depot used the correct oil.
I've spoken to them again since and he's said I can expect Vauxhall to make a "significant contribution" provided the service history I've told them it has is confirmed, but they can't check the service book until Monday now. I would hope significant would be around three quarters or more but maybe their definition is different to mine. I'll still try for the lot though, so when they come back with their offer I'll probably ask for that in writing and see if I can push for more.
Going to dig out paperwork from my Motordepot services over the weekend too, hopefully I can see on there what oil they've used.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Even if you can prove that another garage has put in the correct oil at the correct interval, they are going to be do whatever they can to not pay.

Remember that the guy you talk to is NOT the guy deciding how much, if any, money vauxhall is going to comp you.

I would guess that you are going to be a lot closer to 0% than 100% sadly.

Someone i know, that works at vauxhall said that when GM owned Vauxhall, they were not easy to convince to pay, but after Stellantis took over they are almost impossible to get anything out of.

If you have absolutely every service done at vauxhall and have absolutely every stamp in the book from vauxhall, and they deem that you are a potential return costumer, then they will pay, but if you do not, then they are most likely going to refuse anything.

I had a colleague that bought a Peugeot 307, i think 10+ years ago.

At some point, after it was, if memory serves, about 3 years old, some arm inside the heater blend box broke. It was a known defect, where apparantly they lubricated this arm too little when assembling it, and this meant that the motor for the actuator snapped it, when it got stuck.

He had his services done at Peugeot, but one time, he was going on a skiing holiday in Austria (1200+ kilometer each direction) the change oil lamp came on about a week before he had to go, and peugeot did not have any available timeslots to do the service.

He bought the oil, oil filter and so on, original from the peugeot dealer and changed it himself.

When he got home, he gave them the car for the service, and they did everything else, bar the oilchange, but he was not able to reset the oil timer so they did it when they got the car.

When he asked for that obvious production defect to be fixed under "warranty" (Here warranty is only 2 years) he was told that because they had scanned the car and found that the oil change interval had been exceeded and he had changed the oil himself, they would not cover any of the cost. This was a dashboard out, took a tech about a day from what he said.

So if even he was denied when he basically did everything right and the oil change had NO impact on that arm and it's failing, they refused him.

Sorry..not to try and ruin your christmas mood, but i would expect the worst from Stellantis......(Good thing is you can only be confirmed if they will not pay anything, or happy, if they decide to pay something :p )

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Even if you can prove that another garage has put in the correct oil at the correct interval, they are going to be do whatever they can to not pay.

Remember that the guy you talk to is NOT the guy deciding how much, if any, money vauxhall is going to comp you.

I would guess that you are going to be a lot closer to 0% than 100% sadly.

Someone i know, that works at vauxhall said that when GM owned Vauxhall, they were not easy to convince to pay, but after Stellantis took over they are almost impossible to get anything out of.

If you have absolutely every service done at vauxhall and have absolutely every stamp in the book from vauxhall, and they deem that you are a potential return costumer, then they will pay, but if you do not, then they are most likely going to refuse anything.

I had a colleague that bought a Peugeot 307, i think 10+ years ago.

At some point, after it was, if memory serves, about 3 years old, some arm inside the heater blend box broke. It was a known defect, where apparantly they lubricated this arm too little when assembling it, and this meant that the motor for the actuator snapped it, when it got stuck.

He had his services done at Peugeot, but one time, he was going on a skiing holiday in Austria (1200+ kilometer each direction) the change oil lamp came on about a week before he had to go, and peugeot did not have any available timeslots to do the service.

He bought the oil, oil filter and so on, original from the peugeot dealer and changed it himself.

When he got home, he gave them the car for the service, and they did everything else, bar the oilchange, but he was not able to reset the oil timer so they did it when they got the car.

When he asked for that obvious production defect to be fixed under "warranty" (Here warranty is only 2 years) he was told that because they had scanned the car and found that the oil change interval had been exceeded and he had changed the oil himself, they would not cover any of the cost. This was a dashboard out, took a tech about a day from what he said.

So if even he was denied when he basically did everything right and the oil change had NO impact on that arm and it's failing, they refused him.

Sorry..not to try and ruin your christmas mood, but i would expect the worst from Stellantis......(Good thing is you can only be confirmed if they will not pay anything, or happy, if they decide to pay something :p )
Well thanks for that, I think!
The guy at Vauxhall who said I can likely expect a significant contribution is the case manager for my case, but I'm guessing it would have to go above him for approval? The fact they've authorised diagnostics and a strip down at no cost to me is surely them accepting at least a portion of the blame, so I'd expect them to put up a portion of the cost to put it right. I'm hoping I can get at least half out of them anyway but I'll keep myself prepared for the worst.

I was looking at the parts site earlier and noticed they have an option to spread the cost of repairs over 4 months at 0% interest, any idea if they'd also offer instalments for whatever sum I'm left to pay? The online chat person couldn't answer that question. I hope so because anything more than a few hundred quid out of my account by the end of January and I'm screwed! Already had an expensive year.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
The guy at Vauxhall who said I can likely expect a significant contribution is the case manager for my case, but I'm guessing it would have to go above him for approval? The fact they've authorised diagnostics and a strip down at no cost to me is surely them accepting at least a portion of the blame, so I'd expect them to put up a portion of the cost to put it right. I'm hoping I can get at least half out of them anyway but I'll keep myself prepared for the worst.

I was looking at the parts site earlier and noticed they have an option to spread the cost of repairs over 4 months at 0% interest, any idea if they'd also offer instalments for whatever sum I'm left to pay? The online chat person couldn't answer that question. I hope so because anything more than a few hundred quid out of my account by the end of January and I'm screwed! Already had an expensive year.
Fingers crossed, that they will do what they should and pay for the replacement of their "From factory defect" engine.

Personally i have had my share of "We dont give a fcuk about the car after we sold it to you" moments with vauxhall.

A 2 year 3 months old new genuine gearbox with approx 58.000 miles, that was bad, due to a poor gearbox design, they wanted to pay nothing toward getting fixed.

A zinc bubble on the tailgate of my, then 4 year old car, which again was a known defect from the factory, they denied because the car had 140.000 miles on, and claimed that the bubble could very well be a rockchip, because of the many miles....This even if it was clearly visible that the paint was not cracked anywhere, just bubbles from inside because of poor application of the zinc corrosion protection.

A 3 year old car with a ignition coil bridge that was bad, this was another manufacturing defect, but still, they opted to NOT want to put anything towards me getting it replaced.

Oh and the rattly chain on my current car....Another factory defect, that they have said they will not pay a dime towards getting fixed, because the previous owner had the car serviced at a local garage...I have the receipts that clearly show at what mileage the oil was changed, and what exact Dexos 2 approved oil was used.

So my experience with vauxhall ponying up anything to fix their own mistakes are not that good.

But as said....lets cross our fingers that they atleast do right by you and fix the car free of charge...Or at a low price to you ...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

Unfortunately I have to agree with astraowner going by past experiences ive heard about. As said previously they will wriggle out of anything and offer the very lowest contribution. I would say case manager is what he is - he just manages cases not makes the decisions. It is VX warranty that would give the final decision.
I do hope for your sake VX make a nice Christmas warranty offer to you . My colleagues over the years who were in similar situation have had bills from £800 - £4000 for replacement engines (All dependent on miles , age , wear & tear , servicing ).

Many on here have had early 1.4t engines run without any issues whatsoever so not all bad but i do wish people did their homework on buying these early Astra’s . I personally wouldn’t buy one or recommend one to anyone after my company had a handful on lease that failed with engines. It didn’t cost us anything but the hassle we had put us off getting them again.

I drove the 1.6t for 2 years and if I could point every 1.4t potential owner to this car I would.

Fingers crossed for you M4RK1988 .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Unfortunately I have to agree with astraowner going by past experiences ive heard about. As said previously they will wriggle out of anything and offer the very lowest contribution. I would say case manager is what he is - he just manages cases not makes the decisions. It is VX warranty that would give the final decision.
I do hope for your sake VX make a nice Christmas warranty offer to you . My colleagues over the years who were in similar situation have had bills from £800 - £4000 for replacement engines (All dependent on miles , age , wear & tear , servicing ).

Many on here have had early 1.4t engines run without any issues whatsoever so not all bad but i do wish people did their homework on buying these early Astra’s . I personally wouldn’t buy one or recommend one to anyone after my company had a handful on lease that failed with engines. It didn’t cost us anything but the hassle we had put us off getting them again.

I drove the 1.6t for 2 years and if I could point every 1.4t potential owner to this car I would.

Fingers crossed for you M4RK1988 .
It certainly is a lesson for the future, I wish I'd done my research before I got this car. You just don't really expect to have to consider such problems when you're getting a car that's just a year and a half old on 14k miles!
Whatever the outcome of this I'm looking to move over to a 1.6t soon, I have a good amount of positive equity on my PCP which ends in 9 months, think I'll be getting an early settlement and use the equity towards a decent deposit on a 1.6t, or if this engine costs me a fortune I can use the equity to pay myself a bit back instead, so it's not the end of the world. Just could do with some kind of equity release right now but I'm not sure if that's even possible with cars!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
It certainly is a lesson for the future, I wish I'd done my research before I got this car. You just don't really expect to have to consider such problems when you're getting a car that's just a year and a half old on 14k miles!
Whatever the outcome of this I'm looking to move over to a 1.6t soon, I have a good amount of positive equity on my PCP which ends in 9 months, think I'll be getting an early settlement and use the equity towards a decent deposit on a 1.6t, or if this engine costs me a fortune I can use the equity to pay myself a bit back instead, so it's not the end of the world. Just could do with some kind of equity release right now but I'm not sure if that's even possible with cars!
A move to the 1.6t is something you won’t regret. It’s a bulletproof engine , goes very well , good on fuel and will last you for years.
My son bought an Astra sporthatch 2009 1.6t 3 years ago and he’s still got it because it’s so reliable.
The 180bhp engine is a peach of an engine , got over 100k on it and it’s as sweet as a nut - even quieter than my old 68 plate 1.6t 200.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

Hopefully you'll gain a significant contribution from Stellantis. As they know it's an known issue.
I once managed to gain a 60% contribution to a rear diff repair from Landover on my wife's then 6 year old Freelander 2. Neither did the Landy have a full dealer history (part main dealer only).
I've made many successful vauxhall manufacture warranty claims within the past. Had a gearbox replaced once at 59k, authorised a week before my 3 year warranty was up, gearbox then replaced for free over a month later. As yet though I've not tried to make a claim outside of vauxhalls warranty. Although I have an vauxhall recommend extended warranty now, not made a claim on it, as yet.

·
Registered
2017 1.4 SRi Nav
51 Posts
As an indication of cost my engine was replaced under Vauxhall Extended warranty. The dealer invoice to them was just over £3000. I live in the North East, Dealer rates probably cheaper than most places. Fingers crossed you'll have some luck and get a big chunk (or all) of it paid by Vauxhall.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
There is a tsb albeit for the American models below, but it is still for the le2 engine. It determines whether to repair/replace the engine and of course the cost. You may just require new pistons and the bores are ok, I have read about that just being the case a few times.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
As an indication of cost my engine was replaced under Vauxhall Extended warranty. The dealer invoice to them was just over £3000. I live in the North East, Dealer rates probably cheaper than most places. Fingers crossed you'll have some luck and get a big chunk (or all) of it paid by Vauxhall.
Thanks Rob that's good to know, I'd read it could cost around £4000. I'm in the North East too, Durham to be precise. I'm hoping they'll cover at least half and allow me to pay the rest in 4 monthly instalments. I know that option is available for parts so I'd hope it would also be available for whatever balance I have to pay.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
What’s your plan mark when all fixed ? Are you still going for a 1.6t ? I strongly recommend it as the initial fix of an engine could be the start of ongoing issues . I say that because when our lease cars needed new engines the hassle we had after they were fitted. The engines were all reconditioned as well and all the old bits had to be bolted back on , so you would of thought new gaskets , nuts etc etc would of been used ? Errrrr no , lots of old stuff that leaked , nuts that had to be re tightened , new knocking sounds / squeaks suddenly appeared all of which were a real pain in the arse each time to take back and wait for. We reckon we spent more time after the engines were fitted taking the dam things back for related issues . Needless to say we were on first name terms with the staff lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
What’s your plan mark when all fixed ? Are you still going for a 1.6t ? I strongly recommend it as the initial fix of an engine could be the start of ongoing issues . I say that because when our lease cars needed new engines the hassle we had after they were fitted. The engines were all reconditioned as well and all the old bits had to be bolted back on , so you would of thought new gaskets , nuts etc etc would of been used ? Errrrr no , lots of old stuff that leaked , nuts that had to be re tightened , new knocking sounds / squeaks suddenly appeared all of which were a real pain in the arse each time to take back and wait for. We reckon we spent more time after the engines were fitted taking the dam things back for related issues . Needless to say we were on first name terms with the staff lol
Yes planning on getting a 1.6t within a month or two of getting mine fixed. Don't think I'd feel the same way about the car again, especially if it costs me into the thousands! And as you have proved it's not necessarily the end of problems. Going to settle my PCP early and I should still have plenty of positive equity to use as a deposit on a 1.6t.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Yes planning on getting a 1.6t within a month or two of getting mine fixed. Don't think I'd feel the same way about the car again, especially if it costs me into the thousands! And as you have proved it's not necessarily the end of problems. Going to settle my PCP early and I should still have plenty of positive equity to use as a deposit on a 1.6t.
That’s the way to go mark.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Been struggling to get any answer out of Customer Services all week and they seem to have changed my case manager to someone else. Got a call this morning from the dealer saying they're not going to contribute anything and the cost will be £4,500! This seems to be due to missing stamps from my 2019 and 2020 services. Hoping the situation might change if I can get proof of that service history but what a pain this is :(

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Been struggling to get any answer out of Customer Services all week and they seem to have changed my case manager to someone else. Got a call this morning from the dealer saying they're not going to contribute anything and the cost will be £4,500! This seems to be due to missing stamps from my 2019 and 2020 services. Hoping the situation might change if I can get proof of that service history but what a pain this is :(
All too familiar I’m afraid mark , as said previously if VX can wriggle out of this they will , one single issue and they will react differently. This has happened many many times on the forum and only advice we can give is keep fighting as long as poss , even strike some sort of deal with them.
If they have you by the short and curlies several members have opted to find a 2nd hand similar year engine from a scrappy at a snippet of VX price and had it fitted by independent. Then get rid.
Hopefully you can find the company that did 2019/20 servicing and confirmation of this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
All too familiar I’m afraid mark , as said previously if VX can wriggle out of this they will , one single issue and they will react differently. This has happened many many times on the forum and only advice we can give is keep fighting as long as poss , even strike some sort of deal with them.
If they have you by the short and curlies several members have opted to find a 2nd hand similar year engine from a scrappy at a snippet of VX price and had it fitted by independent. Then get rid.
Hopefully you can find the company that did 2019/20 servicing and confirmation of this.
Something like this or is this site dodgy? Two vastly different prices for what appears to be the same engine...

Got through to my case manager and he's going to try getting my service history details from Motordepot himself and said he can't promise anything but he'll see what he can do. I think I'd be lucky to even get a 50% contribution now which would mean it would still probably be cheaper sourcing an engine myself and going to an independent garage.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts