Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Astra 1.4t SRi VX-Line
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New here, got a 2017 Astra 1.4T SRi VX Line which I've had for over 3 years, 50,000 miles on the clock.
About 10 days ago it suddenly felt a bit rough, like I was driving on a rough surface and power felt slightly reduced, engine and traction control light came on briefly.
Had it in the garage last Thursday and they said they thought it was the coil packs, they said there were no strong signals on any one in particular so recommended three new packs which they fitted for £375. However, that didn't solve the problem and it's actually got even worse, the misfiring is much worse and it's a struggle getting up any hills. They're now saying they've isolated it to one cylinder and the misfiring stays on the same cylinder even when the plugs are swapped, so they think it's the fuel injector now.
It's the first time I've been to this garage so I'm just wondering if this sounds reasonable, should they have been able to tell it was an injector before charging me for three new coil packs? Does it seem likely that it definitely will be the injector and a new one of those will fix it, or is it still possible that won't solve it? Just looking for some reassurance really, and interested to know if it's normal or unusual to need a new injector, it doesn't seem like the most readily available part on parts websites.
Thanks for any replies,
Mark.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the dreaded LSPI I’m afraid , as Valer said a compression test is a must.
Just been reading a bit about that, sounds worrying. So it's quite likely a fuel injector won't solve the problem I'm guessing? Also looks like I need to make sure I'm on Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil, it was filled during a full service with Bristol Street Vauxhall about a month ago, so I don't know exactly what's gone into it. Was thinking of keeping this car at the end of my lease next year but not so sure now!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Fingers crossed it's not LSPI,
the garage may have been jumping to the spark plug/coil packs conclusion due to the stored fault codes but as it hasn't sorted the problem a compression test is now essential before throwing any more parts at the car.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Just been reading a bit about that, sounds worrying. So it's quite likely a fuel injector won't solve the problem I'm guessing? Also looks like I need to make sure I'm on Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil, it was filled during a full service with Bristol Street Vauxhall about a month ago, so I don't know exactly what's gone into it. Was thinking of keeping this car at the end of my lease next year but not so sure now!
If the cars on lease then I assume you are not paying for anything ?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I can't really add to any of the previous advice with regards to your engine diagnosis. If it is related to lspi (hope it's not), you may need a new engine. May be worth taking it up with vaux customer services to see if they'd make a contribution towards an engine replacement, as it's an know characteristic of this engine. Within this regard the longer your main dealer service history you have the better the chance you'd have with regards to then making a contribution.
Good luck with it, keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Probably misleading to call it a lease, it's PCP so I still have to pay for everything unfortunately.
Ah yes sorry did see it was a 2017 car…I’m sure many 1.4t owners wished VX gave them a 5 year warranty instead of 3. Like the guys said fingers crossed it isn’t LSPI , we’ve known about that for years on here and many of us have experienced it.
To put 3 coil packs on then charge you and it didn’t cure issue is a bit off. I wondered if they did a fault code test ? Coil packs do go still but nowhere like the Vauxhalls of old , yes I’ve had loads on astras & corsas but none on newer models. Injectors rare as well.
Compression test should be next on list to do .

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Just to add.

If there is an air leak in the intake system, after the MAF sensor or the MAF sensor is going bad, it can also cause misfires, because the mixture gets to lean.

if the leak is small enough, it might not trigger a lot of "lean" warnings, but still be enough for the car to misfire and/or feel down on power.

Or atleast, that's what i have experienced in the past with a car i owned. This was due to a intercooler hose that rubbed against something and eventually got a hole, that was very small in the beginning.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It could be @astraowner but i really would hope it would throw a P0101 Maf sensor performance code on this engine if the air leak was bad enough to cause a misfire

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all these replies.
Dropped it off this morning, they don't have the injector yet but I mentioned what I'd read online and queried a compression test and he didn't think that was necessary at this stage, he still believes the injector will sort it and that it won't need a new engine. He's the expert I suppose, but I'm not convinced having read more about this engine.
Also said he should be able to find out if my car had the 2018 ECU update or not. I got the car in August 2018 and it looks to have been released early in 2018 so it should have done, but if it didn't maybe I'd have some comeback with the garage who sold it?

Also I'm thinking, if it's the worst case scenario, the final settlement I'm due to pay next August is well below the value of the car, I should have a good amount of equity in it, so I should be able to come to some settlement to avoid having to actually fork out a couple of grand in cash? I hope so anyway, really not a good time of year for that!

Thanks again, I will keep this thread updated.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The revised software was released in Feb 2018 and was the usual Vx copout of "upon customer complaint"and not a recall which imo it should have been

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
It could be @astraowner but i really would hope it would throw a P0101 Maf sensor performance code on this engine if the air leak was bad enough to cause a misfire
Yes, and on newer cars the diagnostic is probably better.

When my MAF was bad, it started running rough, and after a while it got to a point where it did P0170 and then some other codes, that it threw because it was running rough.

For the first weeks of rough running, it did not throw any codes and i never saw a code directly pointing to the MAF....As said, this was an older car (2002) so now many years later, the diagnostic will probably be better.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
In theory the system should be able to define which code applies with a lot more accuracy now,
here's an extract from the diagnostic for the intake on the LE1/2 engines.

"The ECM applies 5 V to the MAF sensor signal circuit. The sensor produces a variable frequency signal based on the inlet air flow through the sensor bore. The signal varies with engine load and is displayed by the scan tool as Hertz (Hz) and grams per second (g/s). Vehicle ignition voltage and ground circuits are also supplied to the MAF sensor.
The intake flow rationality diagnostic provides the within-range rationality check for the mass air flow (MAF), manifold absolute pressure (MAP), and the throttle position sensors.
This is an explicit model-based diagnostic containing 4 separate models for the intake system.

The estimates of MAF and MAP obtained from this system of models and calculations are then compared to the actual measured values from the MAF, MAP, and the throttle position sensors and to each other to determine the appropriate DTC to fail."

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I've had the dreaded call from the garage and it does indeed need a new engine. Going to call Vauxhall customer services later once I've planned out what I'm going to say. Not good enough that this happens to so many people.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well I've had the dreaded call from the garage and it does indeed need a new engine. Going to call Vauxhall customer services later once I've planned out what I'm going to say. Not good enough that this happens to so many people.
Sorry to hear it's not good news, fingers crossed you will get a good outcome from raising it with Vauxhall. Hopefully you will also get your money back on the three coil packs that weren't required!!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Not the news anyone wants to hear let alone around Xmas time. We have heard this so many times on the forum .Really is a manufacturing defect but VX deny it.
I guess VX will say around £4k for a new engine but I would never pay that , a scrap dealer somewhere will have a 2nd hand engine , but no guarantee the scrap dealer engine will last forever so get rid asap and p/ex for the far more reliable 1.6t.(That’s if you stay with VX).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not the news anyone wants to hear let alone around Xmas time. We have heard this so many times on the forum .Really is a manufacturing defect but VX deny it.
I guess VX will say around £4k for a new engine but I would never pay that , a scrap dealer somewhere will have a 2nd hand engine , but no guarantee the scrap dealer engine will last forever so get rid asap and p/ex for the far more reliable 1.6t.(That’s if you stay with VX).
Got a case number with Vauxhall now, they've taken all the details and the service history which is full, so I'm feeling reasonably confident. In my eyes they've set a precedent when they've done this for other people, and when I have a full service history I can't see why they could do it for some other people and not for me.

Planning to stay with Vauxhall and get a 1.6t, but their response to this will probably be the deciding factor. If this process turns out to be a nightmare and they don't help me I'll be inclined to look elsewhere, but got my eye on the 1.6t SRi Vx-line nav, want the same styling mine has.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts