Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an Astra and I am not sure the car is showing the correct mileage as my ODB2 device shows a much higher mileage has been covered since the last fault code. It is actually saying, ' Distance in Km traversed since the MIL turned on'. Does the car store the actual mileage regardless of the mileage showing on the dash and can this be verified / confirmed by a Vauxhall garage.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I recently purchased an Astra and I am not sure the car is showing the correct mileage as my ODB2 device shows a much higher mileage has been covered since the last fault code. It is actually saying, ' Distance in Km traversed since the MIL turned on'. Does the car store the actual mileage regardless of the mileage showing on the dash and can this be verified / confirmed by a Vauxhall garage.
I do believe the actual mileage is stored in memory and VX can gain access to it . Might cost you an hours labour but peace of mind if you think car has been clocked.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
same as this thread you posted

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
80 Posts
Diesel or petrol? As the dealer equipment (GDS2) can only read mileage on the freeze frame data or the value from the BCM you may struggle. It's extremely easy to change the mileage on Global-A platform vehicles so I wouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Diesel or petrol? As the dealer equipment (GDS2) can only read mileage on the freeze frame data or the value from the BCM you may struggle. It's extremely easy to change the mileage on Global-A platform vehicles so I wouldn't be surprised.
Its petrol, I think its the GM engine. Then engine looks clean enough but there are a few minor stone chips on the bonnet and the outer edges of the low profile front tyres look a bit worn for 6200 miles, which also adds to my suspicion. I'm going to look into this and will let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Its 2.5 years old. The service book history matches the mileage, but the first service in Jan 21 was carried out by the dealership that sold it to me. There is a receipt for the second oil change in January this year carried out by a different garage, or I should say an address in the same area on a country road with no buildings other than a small farm. But it looks fake and the company does not appear to officially exist and the mileage has been tip-xed to match the service book.

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
Is it an ex mobility, ex lease or a private car? Are all 4 tyres original?
You at least know the first service was genuine.
I also bought my current car when it was 2.5 years old with 7k on the clock, fvsh, so it's not uncommon for cars at that age to have ultra low mileage. My bonnet was also resprayed prior to me buying it, probably down to stone chips, too. Mine being red, red seems a very soft easy to chip and scratch colour for the Astra.
I take your point about the second service, although if it had one previous owner, it's less likely to have done high miles from service one to two. It's also possible the previous owner had serviced it himself, then stamped the book or had a mechanic mate to do it, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess any of that is possible. Just did more checking and the 2nd service was probably also carried out at the selling dealer's own garage, located not far from their main car sales site. A search revealed the company name used on the 2nd service doggy looking receipt, is also operating from their garage, but the address on it is somewhere out in the countryside. So they are essentially the same, all very odd but I guess they have a reason for it. However none of that explains the reading on the ODB2.

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
I'm no expert on diagnostics, but have previously used Opcom with older Vauxhalls, have a cheap plug & play OBD reader, too. I wouldn't trust an OBD reader on a modern car, now.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sadly it appears it’s been milage corrected , very rampant these days on lease or PCP vehicles with a milage restriction. At the wife’s office many of her co workers milage correct their vehicles , the trick is to correct the milage just before a service if it’s a newer motor & if it’s eligible for MOT tests correct the milage just before it goes in. So how do you avoid buying a milage corrected motor ? Simple answer is on nearly new cars your not going to know or notice if say it’s actually done 11,000 miles a year over 3 years compared to say 9,000 miles a year over 3 years showing as recorded. Your only defence is by using milage patterns , this can work well on say a 7 year old low milage motor. Check the MOT history & look for milage patterns , first recorded MOT milage at 3 years old & your looking for anything around 20,000 miles approx ( especially lease & disability vehicles ) now you need to see the miles recorded between the next 3 MOT tests (remembering to take into account how many owners have had the car in the time it was first sold) if you’ve suddenly got a big drop in milage ask yourself why , lockdown maybe ? or car sat around after owner passed away etc or co insides with a change of ownership to a less driven car. Milage correction is big business , i know one bloke who travels the midlands milage correcting cars for many dealerships etc , he spent £10,000 on some new equipment the other year because of demand from VW/Audi dealerships requiring his services.

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
You can only reduce the risk when buying a used vehicle, never totally eradicate it, the rest is just down to trust.
I once bought a lease car, after a bit of research later on I then found out it was an ex drivers instructors car. Wasn't obvious when I'd bought it though, had a full service history, under 3 years old. I only found out after I'd rung the previous lease company that had it serviced. Wasn't massively high mileage, either. So that's the risk taken with any ex lease vehicle. Technically it could of had hundreds of previous owners or just one.
Mobility owners only treat their cars like any other owner on average, no better, no worse. In fact I once took an ex mobility car on as a project car, was under 3 years old and was within shocking condition, but I new that prior to buying it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I guess what I need is an honest, willing and trust worthy garage to check the BCM and print off the data to show the mileage at the last recorded fault code. Is there an honest garage out there?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts