Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

For those of you with an auto 1.4 turbo...

I was having a go at manual mode today and when gearing up from 3rd to 4th, the car seems to jolt/shudder. It's most noticeable when around 2500rpm. It's not something I've noticed before and doesn't exactly feel normal.

The car also feels like it chugs slightly when in third gear, not sure if the two could be related?

Cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Northumbrian said:
I've only used manual mode a few times when going down steep hills so far. When I get chance I'll try it out and let you know if it also does this.
Thank you, that'd be much appreciated! I tried it going down a hill just now as I've just arrived back home and it was smooth. On the flat it jolted a bit again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kristis said:
Manual gearbox does the same ;) same rpm and same gear... could be something with ecu
That's interesting. I think it's more 4th gear where it can chug a little, or seems to.

So when you change from third to fourth at around 2500rpm, you feel a judder?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yep, feels like a missfire between 2400-2800 rpm and only with 3rd and 4th gears. Dealer says its normal and "u need to get used to the car" :) few other local 1.4 (150) owners are complaining about the same issue. Go figure...

I think its something with the ecu or ignition system. Gearbox plays no effect here ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kristis said:
Yep, feels like a missfire between 2400-2800 rpm and only with 3rd and 4th gears. Dealer says its normal and "u need to get used to the car" :) few other local 1.4 (150) owners are complaining about the same issue. Go figure...

I think its something with the ecu or ignition system. Gearbox plays no effect here ;)
Yeah that's what it kinda feels like. Only happens in manual mode though, full auto is fine. I've booked it into the dealers for a check over anyway and for a few other bits.

The Northumbrian said:
Tried manual mode today and no sign of this happening in mine. Very smooth changes both up and down.
Thanks for testing. When I'm accelerating quickly up to say 60, it doesn't do it but when just tootling along at 30 and I slip it into 4th then it will. I'm usually always in auto but noticed it while testing and it concerned me slightly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Northumbrian said:
Could it be that it doesn't like 30 in .4th gear? I will try and test mine a bit more at slower speeds.
Good point. I'll have another test tomorrow and see how it behaves. Thanks again too.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Gearbox is generally happy at rpm above 1500, so 2400rpm should not cause the studder just because of the gearbox ;)

Probably u also have same thing in auto mode, just the box select different gears at that rpm and u simply miss the rpm band where this happens ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To update: I saw the dealer about this recently and they did an update and said they were happy with the way it drives. I'm still not convinced that it's normal though. Both my Corsa D and my Mum's Astra H autos never did this. They are not turbocharged engines though. Could this be the difference?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to update... after about another 800 or so miles of driving, including two 200 mile journeys, everything feels like it's loosened up a bit more and it's nice and smooth. Looks like it's about 2000 miles needed before things start settling down.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is there a reason you use the manual auto mode rather than just leave it in drive? I know there are certain circumstances where its an advantage to go to manual, (extra engine braking), but in general I have always found the auto option works best. Just wondering if its just personal preference or if there is some reason I have missed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nabsim said:
Is there a reason you use the manual auto mode rather than just leave it in drive? I know there are certain circumstances where its an advantage to go to manual, (extra engine braking), but in general I have always found the auto option works best. Just wondering if its just personal preference or if there is some reason I have missed.
Just trying it out as it was new, not used on a regular basis. I'd only really use it now going down a hill or what have you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ah right :)

I went for a Citroen a few years back that had paddle shift, if you wanted to use it. It wasn't automatic but didn't have clutch pedal, think they classed it as semi-auto with electronic clutch actuation. I had a go with it to see what all the fuss was about but found too much lag when changing, since then folks seem to agree you need to have two or three clutches to get this worth having.

I did the same with the GTC, just tried the manual change to see how it went but hardly ever used it afterwards. For me they always seem to work better left to their devices in full auto. Was wondering if I had missed some thing that had changed since I last gave it a go :)

It could well be that it either doesn't like to be in that gear at those revs or lag on the turbo. If it was lag on the turbo though I would have thought it would happen under same conditions in other gears.

As I only got mine just over a week ago I have very little experience with this engine/transmission yet though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha there's a chance it could be a little quicker with sport activated for sharper throttle response and manual mode when used at the optimum time but I'm unlikely to be in a race!

It is a great setup and hope you enjoy it. I'd be interested to see what you think of it after being able to spend more time with it. I am pleased overall, my Corsa was a tad smoother and happier around town but the Astra obliterates it in every other area.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use it occasionally when going down steep hills. Helps with braking and saves wearing the brakes out. Aside from that I leave it in auto. With sport button it shifts like you know what of a shovel when you put your foot down. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.