Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking at a Service Plan for my recently-purchased Astra K 1.6T on a 66' plate, but everything seems a little off.

I had a plan with eMaC on my old car, so asked them to quote directly... they told me I would be looking at over £1500 for 3 years!

I've gone to the Vauxhall website directly and put my details in and it comes back with a total cost of £1032 for the next 3 services... this is far more reasonable, but it doesn't give me the option of actually selecting a 2016 Astra K. Instead, I get to choose what appear to be 17/18 K's or an Astra H (see below)...

Rectangle Font Parallel Software Screenshot

17 shows up as £1142, and 18 shows as £1032, yet I have no idea what these numbers actually relate to.

That said, I put my old Corsa's details in, and this comes to roughly £800 for the same term, and the numbers preceding the model don't appear to have any bearing on the car itself, only the price!

I'm curious to know;
a) does anyone else have a service plan on the same model, and if so what are you paying roughly?
b) how much should I be expecting to pay for these services (6 to 8) without any sort of plan?
c) what additional costs I should be expecting even with a Service Plan from VX?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Personally for a 5/6 year old car I would get a decent independent to service vehicle. Book can still be stamped to keep service history up and genuine parts can be used. Will be a fraction of the costs too.
Put it into VX and they will be looking for all sorts of things to be replaced due to age.
With an independent you can provide own oil or make sure correct grade is used .

I get some people want dealer history but car is treated no better and technicians are on time limits . I’d much rather a decent independent (if you know one or can be recommended one) take their time and do a good job.

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
As above, if it's out of vauxhalls manufacturers or you are not taking out their recommended extended warranty I'd stick with a good independent instead.
The cost of vaux servicing has just gone up significantly too. Neither does it stop at just servicing once your car is out of warranty, dealers tend to look for other jobs on your car inc brake pads & discs, safety checks etc, to make more money from you.
I've had far better service during the past using trusted independents at just over half the price.

·
Registered
874 Posts
As @Pompeydave and @Boroboy have said, I'd cost up the dealer prices vs a decent independent.

The 1.6T being a slightly older design (cast iron block, etc.) seems more tolerant of oil types but a decent independent will know to put Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil in.

The independent I'll be using this year (1st year without Vauxhall service!) checks a database of oil types for a particular car and orders that in for the service. For the 1.6T they correctly identified that it'd require Castrol Magnatec Fuel Saver DX, Dexos1 Gen 2 (5W-30)

They're quoting £237 for an MOT and full service (air filter, pollen filter & plugs included) vs VX wanting £435 for the service alone.

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
I did get my local Vauxhall dealer down to £350 for a major service ringing them directly, official price was £435 for a 1.4t. Coolant changes etc on top at £50. My local independent would charge me no more than £250 for a major Inc a coolant change.
The only reason I've stuck with dealer servicing was due to my Vauxhall rec extended warranty. Otherwise I'd use an independent for sure.

·
Registered
874 Posts
The only reason I've stuck with dealer servicing was due to my Vauxhall rec extended warranty. Otherwise I'd use an independent for sure.
That's why I'm going to try a highly recommended independent (4.8 on TrustPilot) this year as the car's under the full fat RAC warranty and the independent has answered all the questions I asked in a prompt and accurate manner.

I'm sure the dealer would also deal with the RAC warranty if something was needed (the car came with a 3 year extended warranty with the RAC from Pentagon) but the price difference is just too great.

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
That's why I'm going to try a highly recommended independent (4.8 on TrustPilot) this year as the car's under the full fat RAC warranty and the independent has answered all the questions I asked in a prompt and accurate manner.

I'm sure the dealer would also deal with the RAC warranty if something was needed (the car came with a 3 year extended warranty with the RAC from Pentagon) but the price difference is just too great.
As you know I've just made a claim with the vaux rec extended warranty, they've paid for everything so far, so can't complain. Obviously I've paid a little more for their servicing. So I suppose it's swings and roundabouts I suppose.
I did look at the RAC extended warranty, as it Inc breakdown cover too, so looked a good buy. I did also notice that most of the trust pilot reviews were about the product being sold to them, not about successful claims. Suppose like any warranty claim, proof would be in the pudding.
Talking with the service manager from my dealership, vaux ext warranty pay £85 an hour labour, where as I would have to pay £120 an hour directly for a repair. Some of their in-house (not official vauxhall warranties), pay them a higher labour rate, another reason they push their in-house extended warranties, rather than the official vauxhall rec extended warranty. Also the group that run the vaux ext warranty also do so with other manufacturers too.
I was surprised to find out that my complete warranty covered the strut dust covers too. So if I keep my car another year, I'll be extending my warranty again just incase. As vauxhall reliability seems suspect of late.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Sorry @Boroboy the TrustPilot score I was referring to was for the independent service company.

I've not had cause to use mine but my wife had to claim on the RAC warranty (the one that came with the car) when her Mokka's water pump(?) was leaking (something was peeing all over the drive anyway!) Garage took care of it and we didn't have to get involved so from that point of view it seems decent.
And at £283 per year for 3 years including full breakdown, it made more financial sense than the £450 per year that VX were going to charge me (couldn't get near the £282 you were paying - must've been because of the age of the car?)

I think so long as it's a known company and VX dealers can get paid by them, then any reputable company should be reliable. I had an Abraxus extended warranty when the M32 gearbox bearing went on the Astra Sport Hatch Turbo. Again, all dealt with without me having to get involved.

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
Sorry @Boroboy the TrustPilot score I was referring to was for the independent service company.

I've not had cause to use mine but my wife had to claim on the RAC warranty (the one that came with the car) when her Mokka's water pump(?) was leaking (something was peeing all over the drive anyway!) Garage took care of it and we didn't have to get involved so from that point of view it seems decent.
And at £283 per year for 3 years including full breakdown, it made more financial sense than the £450 per year that VX were going to charge me (couldn't get near the £282 you were paying - must've been because of the age of the car?)

I think so long as it's a known company and VX dealers can get paid by them, then any reputable company should be reliable. I had an Abraxus extended warranty when the M32 gearbox bearing went on the Astra Sport Hatch Turbo. Again, all dealt with without me having to get involved.
I think you are right about known warranty companies and vauxhall dealing with them, as the dealership I took my car into deal with numerous warranty companies. I certainly think it's a good idea buying an extended warranty now with a modern vauxhall, as they're so stuffed with modern technology now, considering how much your car was worth. Not forgetting dealerships are in business to make money.

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
I found myself in an odd situation getting an extended warranty as I have no concerns about the 1.6T engine but it's the interior tech going wrong that I bought it more for!
Yes your engine seems a reliable unit, but it's the rest of the car you need to worry about too :ROFLMAO: I have a bonus of driving an auto which fortunately should be fully covered with an extended warranty. Along with my very reliable engine, so far:ROFLMAO:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts