Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone found any LED bulbs that don't cause the canbus error?? I've had LED bulbs fitted for 4 years now, but would be happy to find a set where I don't need to keep cancelling the error every drive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
sps170373 said:
jt123 said:
Which bulbs are you wanting to replace?
The dipped h7 bulbs, already have LED's but wondered if anyone had found canbus error free bulbs
I don't think so, I've not tried LED's in the headlights but I have with the breaks/indicators & reverse bulbs. All of them require a resistor. Even though some bulbs do claim to be "error free" I've not had success with any of them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
It is very difficult to make these bulbs error free, as you would need to burn off the watt's that the LED bulb does not use.

If the LED bulb only uses 15Watts and the original uses 55W, you need to burn the additional 40 Watts in a resistor.

If you want to burn 40 Watts at 12 Volts you need a 3.6 ohm resistor with a rating of atleast 40Watts and remember that a the 40 Watts will not magically disappear, but rather be converted to heat, so the resistor needs to be mounted to somewhere, it can disperse the heat to, otherwise it will overheat very quickly.

You need something that looks like this, it has holes to be able to screw it into the chassis somewhere.

https://www.surplussales.com/Images/Resistors/WireWound/rwf-rh25-30-1_lg.jpg

The reason for example flasher LED's have built in resistors are, they dont need to burn of nearly as many watts, and they are usually not run continuously for hours, but only used for blinking when turning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I looked around for a long time for some decent headlight bulbs for the K, and finally found some, so I registered an account just to answer this as it needs addressing !!

I cannot recommend highly enough the Twenty20 H7 Projector LED bulbs that HIDS4U sell (https://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7-twenty20-projector-led-headlight-bulbs-pair.html).

They fit inside the housing perfectly with no modification required. From memory, to make things easier you can remove the heatsink as I initially had trouble getting the metal prongs in place that hold the bulb. Once I tried this that wasn't an issue and they fit tight and secure. If you have any trouble, phone the website, they're great.

They keep the correct beam pattern so I've never been flashed by another driver, dazzling others was something I was particularly worried about but they don't at all if fitted properly.

These bulbs are designed for projector housings such as the K's. They are much, much brighter than the stock halogen, don't cause any 'bulb out' warnings and come on instantly. They seem to give a wider spread of light, too. They have a 'pure white' light which makes the headlights on the car look like they were LED from the factory. The projector housings in the K are PERFECT for these bulbs.

Twenty20 also make an LED H1 fitting for the full beams (which are reflector housings) that are also sold on that site and they work really well too, they flash on/off instantly so are much better for full beam than the stock halogens, much safer IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
af8173 said:
I looked around for a long time for some decent headlight bulbs for the K, and finally found some, so I registered an account just to answer this as it needs addressing !!

I cannot recommend highly enough the Twenty20 H7 Projector LED bulbs that HIDS4U sell (https://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7-twenty20-projector-led-headlight-bulbs-pair.html).

They fit inside the housing perfectly with no modification required. From memory, to make things easier you can remove the heatsink as I initially had trouble getting the metal prongs in place that hold the bulb. Once I tried this that wasn't an issue and they fit tight and secure. If you have any trouble, phone the website, they're great.

They keep the correct beam pattern so I've never been flashed by another driver, dazzling others was something I was particularly worried about but they don't at all if fitted properly.

These bulbs are designed for projector housings such as the K's. They are much, much brighter than the stock halogen, don't cause any 'bulb out' warnings and come on instantly. They seem to give a wider spread of light, too. They have a 'pure white' light which makes the headlights on the car look like they were LED from the factory. The projector housings in the K are PERFECT for these bulbs.

Twenty20 also make an LED H1 fitting for the full beams (which are reflector housings) that are also sold on that site and they work really well too, they flash on/off instantly so are much better for full beam than the stock halogens, much safer IMO.
If only that Damn EU would legalise these bulbs for road use. (I know you are soon out of that rats nest EU so maybe you will be able to decide for yourselves in the future)

Those EU idiots, say that it is okay to have no rear light on, during the day, to save a measly 2*5W but when it comes to legalising bulbs that would save about 2*40 watt's it suddenly not at all possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
sps170373 said:
Anyone found any LED bulbs that don't cause the canbus error?? I've had LED bulbs fitted for 4 years now, but would be happy to find a set where I don't need to keep cancelling the error every drive
Buy the auxbeam f16 plus, best of the best, clean white pattern , super bright, no dazzling other drivers and specially no errors, but not cheat, 50 euros
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
For my H7 dipped headlights, I installed the Philips Ultinon Pro9000 bulbs, major upgrade but they did bring up bulb blown errors. I bought the corresponding H7 Canbus control unit, also from Philips and the error disappeared completely. Both the bulb and the canbus control unit fit fine inside the housing. No dazzle, I've never been flashed and I've even done a driveby test in my wife's car to ensure they are not blinding for other motorists.

For my H1 full headlights, I installed the same Philips Ultinon Pro9000 and the they work perfectly. No need for a Canbus controller with these.

Philips's Ultinon Pro9000 is a quality product and resembles factory fit LED that other cars come with. No unwanted attention and not to be confused with alot of the cheap junk you see on installed on some cars.

HiLox, a Dutch company do a range of both H1 and H7 known as the "XTR Black" which promises no errors gaurenteed; could be something to look into.

For my front fogs, I used Twenty20's H8 compact LED. Major upgrade and no Canbus errors whatsoever.

The rear has been a diaster for me. I've spent so much and I've given up at this stage

For Tail/Brake (P21W AKA 380), I used Autobeam's High Resistance bulb and while it worked without any Canbus issues, the bulbs was obnoxiously bright and I wasn't satisfied that the difference between brake on and brake off wasn't distinct enough for my liking so I deemed them unsuitable.

Rear indicators (W16W AKA 955), I've gone through 2 different sets including ones from LEDPerf which state "100% OCB error free" and specifically state Opel friendly, but no, I got hyper flash and dash board errors. I purchased Autobeam's version of this bulb and same issues, they had to come out. Circa €70 wasted! :evil:

Rear Reverse and Rear Fog, in my 2018 SRi, both are Bay9S AKA H21W or 435 and while I get no Canbus errors from the Rear fog, I do with my reverse and it interferes with my FM reception also. I'm tempted to try Led Horizon's version, they do an 80 watt version of the Bay9S which I hope will be powerful enough to trick the canbus warning into not alerting but the idea of spending €35 on a single bulb that might not work sorta puts me off. Link below, if anyone has tried this bulb out, could ye let me know who ye got on.

https://www.horizonleds.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=643&search=Bay9s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
MrKeek said:
The rear has been a diaster for me. I've spent so much and I've given up at this stage
Rear indicators (W16W AKA 955), I've gone through 2 different sets including ones from LEDPerf which state "100% OCB error free" and specifically state Opel friendly, but no, I got hyper flash and dash board errors. I purchased Autobeam's version of this bulb and same issues, they had to come out. Circa €70 wasted! :evil:
I bought and fitted THESE to my 66 plate ST and they worked out of the box, no errors MrKeek. Can't remember if the ST has a different fitting to the HB though but at £23 a fair bit cheaper than the LEDPerf units ?

MrKeek said:
Rear Reverse and Rear Fog, in my 2018 SRi, both are Bay9S AKA H21W or 435 and while I get no Canbus errors from the Rear fog, I do with my reverse and it interferes with my FM reception also.
I've used the W16W units from the same supplier for the reversing lights on mine (fogs are already LED so didn't need replacing) and although I had to fit a load resistor, they don't interfere with my radio reception....worth a try ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Volcabar said:
For my 2016 astra I bought these US $28.27 34%OFF | H1 LED H7 LED 20000LM H8 HB3 9005 HB4 H11 Led Headlights Bulbs 9012 HIR2 12sides 80W 3D high power Canbus 360 degree Auto Lamp
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr5dWMP

No error, have them 2 months, no problem, also they fir great in the housing, they dont blind other drivers, low beam.
Page says 80W per set, so basically 40W per bulb.

The normal ones do 55W, but the bulb warning is probably not set to go off, unless the wattage drops lower. In the lifetime of a filament bulb, the light output will get worse, and the wattage will drop, so to avoid false alarms, they probably set the sensor to only trigger if you go below...Say 25W...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Wrong lights mate. Those aren't for projection headlights. Led's need to be angled. They might look good but not giving you full potential. Trust me. Had to return some Osram's because of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
It's the led's themselves that are angled and not something to manually adjust (see pic) but if they work for you thats great. I remember when I had the Osram's in I thought it couldn't get better. Then I was informed of projection headlights vs reflector headlights. Returned them and made the change and definitely better. Much more projection. Love to see pics man.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Yeh, never knew about all this projection/reflection stuff before. Just thought a light was a light and it was either halogen, led, HID, Xenon...

I did see those 360 adjustables before getting the twenty20's but I went with them as my logic was if I got one side of those led's angle perfect (or what I think is perfect as I'm no headlight professional) then unless the other side of the led was perfectly aligned too it'd just have to make do where as the twenty20's were already fixed into position.

Tbh, if I hadn't come across the twenty20's I would have just searched for any old led that didn't give me errors as I thought the Osram's were really good.

I do however notice a much better projection in having these. I thought the spread was equally wide. Brightness = Super 👌

Got luck. Lemme know what you find in your research.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top