Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
I haven't yet recieved my own car, but what I have tested, the Keyless entry works quite nicely. There are small black buttons in the door handles, which you have to touch when opening the door. I think they don't stand out badly.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mine are just black. And as i've seen only normal keys are colored

Its not the usual keyless entry and start that u would find in other manufacturers. U will still need to press the button to get in or to lock the car. So it's kind of useless and waste of money. I would suggest you save the money and just go with regular key, believe me, this "keyless" system is not useful and it's not a complete sensor based system which u would find in all other manufacturers :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ignore Kristis. The system works exactly like every other keyless system - approach the car and you can either press the button on the remote to unlock it, or grab the handle (touching the small button) and open the door.

Presumably Kristis thinks that Opel are trying to scam him.

·
Registered
325 Posts
So, in the end, can you open the car doors without pressing an unlock button on the key before entering? Or not?
If you need to press the unlock button on the key to unlock the car, the keyless entry/start is just stupid and makes no sense...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not sure what kristis problem is, I'm actually very happy with keyless entry. I don't even remember last time I used unlock button on keys, I just keep them in pocket all the time.

You just press black button on doors and car will unlock, same with trunk (opening trunk will not unlock car).

Locking works the same way (by pressing black button again). Or you can enable automatic locking and car will lock itself after you remove key from inside and close all doors (I really recommend this).

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just ignore SwissTj, he probably never seen any other keyless system :) the guy wombling something about me feeling beeing scamed doesnt sound credible ;)

My point, was that Opel/Vauxhall is the only manufacturer who doesnt have sensor unlocking. U still need to press a button or trust auto lock. Which is kind of archaic interpretation of keyless system :) thus its not the "real" keyless system if you are comming from any other manufacturer outside GM (guess GM are not using sensors in their whole range).

Thus if u are choosing to get it or not, i would advise not and spend the money on led lights or something more usefull. All u will be getting is a start button and more buttons on the handles. Boot operates completely the same in both versions, thus its just a waste of cash :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oh god, where to start...

My point, was that Opel/Vauxhall is the only manufacturer who doesnt have sensor unlocking.
Hm let's see what can we come up with in 2 minutes on google...

Boot operates completely the same in both versions, thus its just a waste of cash :)
So if you're saying you can open boot without unlocking car via remote on astra without keyless entry, that sounds like some serious security issue...

Which is kind of archaic interpretation of keyless system :) thus its not the "real" keyless system
Allright, so what's your definition of "real" keyless system? Because I can unlock, start and lock my car without touching my remote key, so that kinda sounds keyless to me.

Seriously though, if you claim that Opel's keyless entry is useless and waste of money, because you need to press button on door handle (which is usually already placed under your thumb when you are opening doors) instead of not pressing button, then I can only suggest to others not to take your posts seriously.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Kristis. Opel/Vauxhall are certainly not the only manufacturer whereby you have to push a button on the handle to unlock/lock the door. I have also been looking at the Mazda 3 and Nissan Qashqai and they both use the same method to unlock/lock the car.

After a long dedication to Vauxhalls, one Zafira and four Astra's I have decided upon the Qashqai though as it is best of the bunch for me. I feel the Astra has taken a few backward leaps, the biggest to me is the flexible floor which my current Astra J has, and also no rear armrest (my daughter threw a wobbly over that one).

·
Registered
325 Posts
daddydoug said:
Kristis. Opel/Vauxhall are certainly not the only manufacturer whereby you have to push a button on the handle to unlock/lock the door. I have also been looking at the Mazda 3 and Nissan Qashqai and they both use the same method to unlock/lock the car.

After a long dedication to Vauxhalls, one Zafira and four Astra's I have decided upon the Qashqai though as it is best of the bunch for me. I feel the Astra has taken a few backward leaps, the biggest to me is the flexible floor which my current Astra J has, and also no rear armrest (my daughter threw a wobbly over that one).
You can add rear armrest in Astra. But don't know what do you mean by "flexible floor"?

·
Registered
331 Posts
drcl said:
But don't know what do you mean by "flexible floor"?
In the Astra J, there is this clever invention in the boot that Vauxhall (Opel) branded the flexible floor. Basically it was a solid floor in the boot that you could raise or lower a bit to increase or decrease the storage area below. It meant it was easier to stack things in the boot as you effectively had a shelf below which you could store things.

Not the greatest explanation, but you get the idea!

drcl said:
You can add rear armrest in Astra
You mean as an option? Not in the UK unfortunately. :cry:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, the flexible boot floor is great on the Astra J. You can store everything on the boot floor and then still have a clear load space using the raised floor. Couldn't live without it now, and fortunately the Qashqai has a flexible boot floor, as well as a rear armrest, which as you say drey, is not an option on the Astra in the UK.

·
Registered
573 Posts
morgoth said:
Oh god, where to start...

Hm let's see what can we come up with in 2 minutes on google...

So Opel is not the only manufacturer with archaic system... Who could have known :D But as for Hyundai, I have bough few Tucsons for managers and both have normal sensor unlocking and button is used only for locking. I'm guessing the system shown in the video is applicable only for USDM vehicles. Same goes for Nissan, sister drives a Leaf and it also has normal proximity sensor unlock and button is used just for locking

So if you're saying you can open boot without unlocking car via remote on astra without keyless entry, that sounds like some serious security issue...
Why is that a security issue? All u need to do is to have the key in your pocket. It does not open doors nor unlock them. "Keyless" and regular system operate the boot completely the same. Press the button - boot unlocks and opens, doors stay locked, no need to touch your remote in either of the system. Havent seen any new car for a while which would operate the boot differently ;)

Allright, so what's your definition of "real" keyless system? Because I can unlock, start and lock my car without touching my remote key, so that kinda sounds keyless to me.

Seriously though, if you claim that Opel's keyless entry is useless and waste of money, because you need to press button on door handle (which is usually already placed under your thumb when you are opening doors) instead of not pressing button, then I can only suggest to others not to take your posts seriously.
Real keyless is sensor based system - pull the handle and it unlocks automaticly, and when its time to get out - u just go - locks automatically without any touching (Opel has this part btw). Same system as found in any manufacturer ;) And yes, my point was that there's completely no use in paying 1500eur extra for such iteration of keyless system, rather spend them on LED headlights or leather interior ;)

·
Registered
331 Posts
All the keyless systems I have seen here in the UK and abroad have all had a button on the door handle that you need to press to unlock or lock the car. This has been on a variety of manufacturers and models, some of them premium cars. So I am sorry, this is very much a "real" system, despite what you may say.

I think it is better to have a button to press as that way I have control over when the car locks or unlocks. I don't see why you have issues with pressing a tiny button that is part of the handle but anyway.

·
Registered
331 Posts
SwissTJ said:
Kristis - from the 2016 Hyundai Tucson quick reference guide... a button that you need to press to unlock the door(s)
Wow, a button to press to unlock the doors.... that makes the Hyundai Tucson another car with a keyless system that isn't real!!!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My wifes 2010 Megane works without pressing a button though. There's a sensor behind the handle, so you just put your hand on the handle and it unlocks.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.