Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
£320 for strut covers Boro - are they gold plated or something ? Just wrote on another thread about using a decent independent for servicing etc , this £320 job is typical of VX at the moment looking for jobs on a car and asking astronomical prices to fix. I found out at the weekend local VX dealer is dead at the moment . Whether time of year / bills increasing everywhere / inflation is to blame etc etc. So the last thing they want in is a car that needs nothing done to it . No work , No bonus for techs !
I found out about the dust covers via a text video link first, then found out about the ignition via a phone call back to them.
Fortunately I don't have to change my dust covers now, if the warranty company are happy to replace them, I am too.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I remember Astraowner complaining about the covers perisihing far too early. I dunno if he gave any idea of the replacement cost in his post but that £320 will prolly be at least £250 labour charges surely ? I know I'm getting less interested in doing my own maintenance now I'm not far off 60 but with prices like that being banded about everywhere, if it starts to get to the point of me not being able to physically do stuff myself, I'll be getting rid of the bloody car !

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Just heard back in part, dust covers are covered under the vauxhall 'Complete Cover', good news. Won't find out about the gear selector now until tomorrow, whether it's covered or not.
Nice one, hopefully the key problem will be also 🤞

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Nice one, hopefully the key problem will be also 🤞
Hope so, but they've only said that they suspect that the gear level mechanism was at fault, not it'll cure the issue, 100%. I certainly wouldn't pay for them to change the gearstick mechanism if they were not totally sure. I was surprised the dust covers were covered, although I didn't want my car safety checked within the first place:ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
I remember Astraowner complaining about the covers perisihing far too early. I dunno if he gave any idea of the replacement cost in his post but that £320 will prolly be at least £250 labour charges surely ? I know I'm getting less interested in doing my own maintenance now I'm not far off 60 but with prices like that being banded about everywhere, if it starts to get to the point of me not being able to physically do stuff myself, I'll be getting rid of the bloody car !
Yes I struggle with diy maintenance now due to health related reasons, but an independent would be a lot cheaper than this. To be fair vaux must be making them out of substandard material for them to be failing so early, as some are also being replaced within the manufacturers warranty period. It's one of the first things to which my dealer heads for during their so called safety checks, for obvious reasons. Not forgetting the warranty company won't be paying those labour rates, no doubt they'll get mates rates. Not £120 an hour, which I'd have to pay. At a guess I'd say they would pay half that per hour.
I've just checked within the small print of my 'Complete Cover', states that 'automatic selection switchgear ', was covered. My fingers are crossed. Not so with the 'Essential Cover', I've also paid extra for no excess.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Another update, all parts covered under the 'Complete Cover', Inc the gear selector, which was the problem.
So it looks as though the extended vaux rec warranty was well worth the £280 to which I'd paid for it, as the total cost of the claim would have been around £700, Inc supply and fit gear selector, supply and fit dust covers.
I'm getting my car back tomorrow evening to which I've greatly missed:ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Well I've finally picked my car up, as the dealers have had it for 4 long days. Unfortunately it came with extra shards of glass on the top of my dash, grease on my bonnet, 3 large stone chips on my bonnet, that I'm sure weren't there as I set off to drop it off. Drivers seat was right back and adjusted upwards, so a test pilot had took it out. The buttons above my gear shifter Inc s/b, s/s etc now are not working either. So I'm back in tomorrow afternoon again to have a word with the service manager, see what he has to say.
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grey Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
This is going from bad to worse Boro , where did the shards of glass come from ?
That's a mistery, as they shouldn't have been working on that part of the car. It was as though they'd rested something on the dash whilst they were working, maybe transferred it that way. It's just sloppy workmanship, really.
At least my window was still in place:ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Sounds like they’ve rushed the job , I’d rather mechanics take a bit longer to do the job right.
If the buttons aren’t doing anything chances are they’ve forgotten to reconnect something back up.
Yes they probably had rushed it, even though the part should have been in this morning. Yes they've probably forgotten to reconnect something, hopefully.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
My 'brake assist', warning light has just flashed up on my screen for the first time ever this morning, stating 'please service', no doubt something to do with the other function buttons not working. It's going in again today, hopefully for these issues to be resolved.
I've just spoken to their service manager, highlighted my issues, including the damage received to my car, after I'd left it with them. He's going to try and get me a replacement car to use, until the work was completed on mine, he's also going to talk to me when I arrive about the damage received to my car.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Dropped my car off again, service manager gave me a one year old Corsa SE 1.0t manual to drive as a courtesy car. He apologised for my bad experience, also agreed to respray my bonnet at their cost, I'll be booking that in again within a few weeks time.
So since complaining the service has been excellent, my faith within humanity has been restored.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The test of a good company IMHO is when there are problems. If they sort them professionally and quickly, without any argument then I reckon that even though the problem shouldn't have reared it's ugly head in the first place, it's been sorted to your satisfaction so warrants a good review.

Glad to hear all has gone well Boro' (y)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Many years ago, I had my car in the body shop for repairs to the front bumper and front edge of the bonnet. When I went to collect my car, I did a walk around to check that the rest of the car was how I had left it . . . only to find a dent and scratch on the rear hatch! o_O

Maybe they had hoped that I wouldn't notice, and so not only was I annoyed at the damage but also the fact they didn't own up to it. Of course I mentioned it to them, and they didn't argue . . . just gave me back the keys to the Ford Ka courtesy car I had! :rolleyes:

Now, whenever my car is in for service, what have you, I always make a point of checking out the car when collecting it . . . wearing my reading spectacles to be extra sure I don't miss anything! :cautious:

41 - 60 of 68 Posts