Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
At this rate @Boroboy you should be able to stop worrying that it's intermittent and just replicate it to the dealer at will,
then get it sorted under your warranty

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That’s if Boroboy can get it under warranty , we all know what VX are like .Wear and tear usually rears it’s head with VX staff. I think most manufacturers are tighter than ever these days with warranty issues , my daughters 2 year old Mazda 2 has just had its drivers side wing mirror pack up and guess what Mazda said…’wear and tear’ - not covered ! I checked Mazda warranty and there it was in black and white - door mirrors not in manufacturers 3 year warranty .

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
At this rate @Boroboy you should be able to stop worrying that it's intermittent and just replicate it to the dealer at will,
then get it sorted under your warranty
Here comes the RAC van with that lovely looking unusable Astra :ROFLMAO:I'll probably go down the the dealers next week and explain to them that I have a phobia about spending money, reason I bought their recommended extended warranty within the first place. Hopefully they'll take pity on me:ROFLMAO:Yep sir, it's covered(y)
I wonder if I leave my key in it, someone would take it? Not like I could take them out, surely my insurance company would be ok with that :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That’s if Boroboy can get it under warranty , we all know what VX are like .Wear and tear usually rears it’s head with VX staff. I think most manufacturers are tighter than ever these days with warranty issues , my daughters 2 year old Mazda 2 has just had its drivers side wing mirror pack up and guess what Mazda said…’wear and tear’ - not covered ! I checked Mazda warranty and there it was in black and white - door mirrors not in manufacturers 3 year warranty .
The old 'wear and tear', chestnut:ROFLMAO:Thats rediculous to be honest, is your daughter going back?
If my warranty does not pay up, I'll never buy another:ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yes tried all possibilities with ‘upper’ management etc and no go. Fortunately daughters other half works in the trade and has fitted a new one for her . Does make you think about buying same make again.
They all seem similar within the way they deal with their customers, I wonder how it would work if it was on lease?
I'm the same, probably wouldn't buy another.
When we owned the Abarth 595, we had a rear brake light cluster replaced under manufacturers warranty when it was 2, infact Abarth/Fiat changed them both, as they were only slightly steamed up. As I mentioned it when it was in for a service, but I was very happily surprised by that. Not usual. Although at the time Abarth dealer servicing was more expensive than most.

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Did you do the Hokey Cokey? 🤔
What's that all about? :LOL:
I'll certainly do one if the warranty covers the cost of the repair.
Which I don't think it would, as within the small print it does state that only stipulated items are covered, to which the ignition system was not mentioned. Probably good for specific items like the engine & auto transmission, doubt a clutch & dmf would be covered with a manual one, but there's a lot more than that which could fail on a car, normal wear & tear items were also mentioned as not covered too. When you think about it logically, the cost of an extended warranty is cheap, considering the value of the car. Then the insurance company has to take it's cut too, so there's not much left.
Also the fact it's only a insurance backed warranty, not ran by Vauxhall, doesn't go well for it, either.
I mainly bought it to cover my engine & transmission to be fair.

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
After monitoring this issue for a bit longer now, once the key has stuck within the ignition, pushing the gear lever forward or pressing the button on the gear lever makes no difference with regards to the key releasing from the ignition. It just seems to be luck when the key wants to come out.
I've decided to ring my local dealership up as ask them directly if my 'complete cover', would potentially cover this issue. This being Vauxhalls highest level of extended warranty cover.
Unfortunately they know very little about the 'Complete Cover', even though it's a vauxhall recommended extended warranty product.
They said they'd ring me back later today once they've looked into it, as I don't want to spend an unlimited amount of money for them to look into it further.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Unfortunately they know very little about the 'Complete Cover', even though it's a vauxhall recommended extended warranty product.
Typical :rolleyes: It always makes me laugh when companies recommend summat but don't have any details......other than the "back-hander" they receive for persuading you to buy it.

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Typical :rolleyes: It always makes me laugh when companies recommend summat but don't have any details......other than the "back-hander" they receive for persuading you to buy it.
Well surprisingly my local dealer contacted the warranty company on my behalf, the warranty company said the ignition switch would be covered, if this is what the issue was.
So I have my car booked in on Monday with the dealers for two days. They said they'd charge me £120 to look, then go from there. If they can't find the fault, they won't charge me. Hopefully they'll find the fault and the vaux extended warranty would cover the total cost. I thought it was worth a try, as this was the whole point of me buying the warranty within the first place. I'll update, once I've found out, either way.
I bought the 'Complete Cover', directly from Vauxhalls website, nothing to do with their dealers.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'll keep everything crossed for ya Boro' 🤞

Reactions: FredOnline

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
My dealers have kindly informed me via a safety check which I didn't want or ask for that my front dust strut covers are perished and they want £320 to replace them.
I'm just waiting to find out if my warranty covers them and if they're any further forward on my ignition key issue, the very reason I'd originally booked my car in for.
The dust covers are an amber fail, so if my warranty does not cover them, I'm not changing them.
They couldn't replicate the ignition issue, but suspect it's the gear selector that's the issue, as they've recently had a car in with similar issues and replaced it. Again I'm waiting to hear if my extended warranty would cover that too.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
£320 for strut covers Boro - are they gold plated or something ? Just wrote on another thread about using a decent independent for servicing etc , this £320 job is typical of VX at the moment looking for jobs on a car and asking astronomical prices to fix. I found out at the weekend local VX dealer is dead at the moment . Whether time of year / bills increasing everywhere / inflation is to blame etc etc. So the last thing they want in is a car that needs nothing done to it . No work , No bonus for techs !

21 - 40 of 68 Posts