Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It usually occurs after parking my car up, then I'm unable to take my key out of the ignition. It has been doing it on an intermittent basis (3 times this month), I had to start my car up and reverse it back after parking it, to then take my ignition key out. I also tried moving my steering wheel, which didn't help. I have an auto and my gear stick was within the park position. I could only turn my key two notches. Either ignition on or to start the car only. Couldn't turn it to the off position to pull the key out.
Any ideas?
See video link with commentary:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I seem to remember someone saying that the autos have a function that doesn't allow the key to be removed if the gearbox isn't reporting that it's in P ? I suppose if this is the case and it's a simple plunger-type sensor arrangement, could it be that that's starting to go South Boro' ?

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm not 100% sure but I seem to remember someone saying that the autos have a function that doesn't allow the key to be removed if the gearbox isn't reporting that it's in P ? I suppose if this is the case and it's a simple plunger-type sensor arrangement, could it be that that's starting to go South Boro' ?
I'm not sure, but it's annoyingly intermittent issue. So it's unlikely that I could recreate the problem at the dealers. Although I do have a video now and I have breakdown cover, just incase:ROFLMAO:
I parked up, then was unable to get the key out, video didn't show me moving the steering wheel too, but did so prior to the video (as you do). So I just restarted it, reversed out, drove forward again, turned off ignition and the key came out. Same type issue occured around 2 weeks ago, but after rocking the steering wheel a few times the key released.
There's always plan b:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I have all the diagnostic and schematic guff for that George if you need it but as you rightly say getting it to play up when you want it to is unlikely.
Fwiw my money would be on the ignition switch,key capture solenoid or park position switch lol

Component description

Electronic Park Lock (EPL)/Ignition Lock Cylinder Control Actuator: If the vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission and a floor mounted console gear shift, it has an ignition lock cylinder control actuator system in the steering column.
The ignition lock cylinder control actuator purpose is to prevent the ignition key from being turned to the OFF position when the transmission is in any position other than PARK and the vehicle may still be moving. The column ignition lock system consists of an ignition lock cylinder control actuator, and a park position switch that is located in the automatic transmission shift lock control switch.
The ignition lock cylinder control actuator contains a pin that is spring loaded to mechanically prevent the ignition key
cylinder from being turned to the lock position when the vehicle transmission is not in the PARK position.

If vehicle power is lost, and/or the transmission is not in the PARK position the operator will not be able to turn the ignition key to the lock position and will not be able to remove the ignition key from the column.

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have all the diagnostic and schematic guff for that George if you need it but as you rightly say getting it to play up when you want it to is unlikely.
Fwiw my money would be on the ignition switch,key capture solenoid or park position switch lol

Component description

Electronic Park Lock (EPL)/Ignition Lock Cylinder Control Actuator: If the vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission and a floor mounted console gear shift, it has an ignition lock cylinder control actuator system in the steering column.
The ignition lock cylinder control actuator purpose is to prevent the ignition key from being turned to the OFF position when the transmission is in any position other than PARK and the vehicle may still be moving. The column ignition lock system consists of an ignition lock cylinder control actuator, and a park position switch that is located in the automatic transmission shift lock control switch.
The ignition lock cylinder control actuator contains a pin that is spring loaded to mechanically prevent the ignition key
cylinder from being turned to the lock position when the vehicle transmission is not in the PARK position.

If vehicle power is lost, and/or the transmission is not in the PARK position the operator will not be able to turn the ignition key to the lock position and will not be able to remove the ignition key from the column.
Thanks for the info, if I ever get to the bottom of it, I'll post on here.
Main problem being it's one of my favourite intermittent faults to find.
As it's not happening frequently, may just have to add it to my list of technical annoyances and put up with it:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
This is just a guess here Boro' but if the system is the same as the one in the J if it happens again, try to push the selector lever against the P position stop with a bit of pressure and then see if it releases the key. Saw it on one board where someone had this problem with their J and after trying this, found out that the cable needed adjusting.

Worth a try ?

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This is just a guess here Boro' but if the system is the same as the one in the J if it happens again, try to push the selector lever against the P position stop with a bit of pressure and then see if it releases the key. Saw it on one board where someone had this problem with their J and after trying this, found out that the cable needed adjusting.

Worth a try ?
Thanks for that, I think it's a newer version of the torque converter within the J.
I tried to pull it out of drive, but wouldn't budge, until I started the car. Didn't think about pushing it forward, although it does have a button you press in at the same time on the gear stick lever.
I tried the old waggle the wheel with the key option, didn't work, then decided to video it. The last time it happened, I waggled the wheel and then it was fine.
To pull the gearstick back out of park, you have to put your foot on the brake, not so to pull the key out.
Now I'm starting to confuse myself:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
149 Posts
It usually occurs after parking my car up, then I'm unable to take my key out of the ignition. It has been doing it on an intermittent basis (3 times this month), I had to start my car up and reverse it back after parking it, to then take my ignition key out. I also tried moving my steering wheel, which didn't help. I have an auto and my gear stick was within the park position. I could only turn my key two notches. Either ignition on or to start the car only. Couldn't turn it to the off position to pull the key out.
Any ideas?
See video link with commentary:ROFLMAO:
Let’s be honest here George , you just wanted your 5 minutes of fame lol 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Read a while back on Facebook iirc, no it was on here, where it had been worked out that there was some sort of wear/stretch happening at the park switch/sensor cable. Some people had to have a new part fitted, very expensive, but the guy had worked out a way of taking out the wear/clearance. Can't remember how he did it, glueing a spacer in springs to mind or cable adjustment.

Shaky's comment on pushing at the park position occasionally may take the free play up.

Font Pattern Monochrome Number Symmetry

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Read a while back on Facebook iirc, no it was on here, where it had been worked out that there was some sort of wear/stretch happening at the park switch/sensor cable. Some people had to have a new part fitted, very expensive, but the guy had worked out a way of taking out the wear/clearance. Can't remember how he did it, glueing a spacer in springs to mind or cable adjustment.

Shaky's comment on pushing at the park position occasionally may take the free play up.

View attachment 8480
Thanks for the info.
What I did notice when I was unable to pull my key out, was that I couldn't pull my gear leaver out of park, unless I started the car. Normally I could with my foot on the brake pedal, unfortunately I can't remember if I had my foot on the brake or not. Something I'll try, if it were to happen again, along with pushing the lever forwards.
As you know I have the vauxhall recommended extended warranty, I presume it would cover this issue, but replicating this issue is another matter. So at this point I don't think I'll take it in to a dealership. Otherwise they'll just charge me to look, then say, 'they couldn't find anything wrong'.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That's exactly the piece I read Redman.......... I was sure it wasn't on here - d'oh. :ROFLMAO: I'm completely losing the plot these days.

Reactions: Redman and Boroboy

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I also found this link which may help others with a similar issue within the future-
Neither have I tested whether or not Vauxhall's recommended extended warranty 'Complete Cover', would cover the ignition switch, page14, states 'locks', are not covered- https://assets.website-files.com/60...e4de510c04cfb0fbe0_vauxhall-warranty-ipid.pdf

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update of sorts. Same issue occured again twice today on my drive. I tried everything, including waggling my wheel and took video. Wouldn't release my key, but as soon as I pushed the gear selector lever forward slightly, past it's normal 'park', position, the key released immediately.
So I'm thinking about seeing if my 'Complete Cover', would cover this, but I won't know until I've took it to a dealer and pay the initial diagnostic cost to find out, that's if it plays up for them, which I'm not sure it would. Although I do have video footage which I could show them now.
My car is under 4 years old, covered 16k, fvsh, I'm the second owner. So a little disappointing🤣

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Dunno how much you like to "get under the hood" yourself Boro' but how much of a job is it to adjust the cable ? With it being intermittent, I'm just wondering if it would be worth tweaking it yourself to save the hassle of having to go through all the palava of "will they, won't they" pay under the warranty ?

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dunno how much you like to "get under the hood" yourself Boro' but how much of a job is it to adjust the cable ? With it being intermittent, I'm just wondering if it would be worth tweaking it yourself to save the hassle of having to go through all the palava of "will they, won't they" pay under the warranty ?
I have some mechanical knowledge, as I've serviced cars in the past, changed pads and discs etc, but I don't think I'll mess about with this. I've paid for this warranty, so hopefully it'll pay out to fix this issue. As I'm really not sure what the end solution would be yet.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hopefully it'll be covered Boro' :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it played up again today, finished work, went to get some fuel, couldn't get the key out again. Pushed lever forward, made no difference, then pressed the lever button too whilst waggling just about everything and....it released.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts