Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been interested in the new Astra since its launch but I've been waiting for a few used examples as I can't afford a new one.
I'm particularly interested in the new LED headlights and wondering how people are getting on with them? And how reliable they are and adjusting the beam?
I'm mostly excited about CarPlay, do you have to use the touchscreen to change playlist or can you do it via the steering wheel controls? Also how responsive is the system? My '58 fiesta titanium is quite slow to respond and scrolling through artists/songs takes a day and an age!
Also, is there anywhere to stash your phone, I've seen there's a small gap near the gear knob that looks like you can stand a phone in it, but I'm not sure if my iPhone 6+ would fit!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I can comment on leds and the head unit responsiveness. LED lights are fantastic and even on low beams give excellent visibility. Automatic high beam switching does have some lag if you compare it for example to BMW system. Also there are just few (if i recall correctly - 6 sections in each headlamp) sections, thus the area they disable is quite large. Non the less high beams are great and do not blind people :)

As for head unit - its responsive and theres completely no visible lag (NAV900). Screen is not of the best quality and has some visible pixels. But then again, it depends on what u compare it to. Probably in it's class screen resolution is great, when compared to BMW, Mercedes, Jag, Lexus - not so great :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, can you manually put the high beam on/off if I find the automatic system too slow? I really want one, would be a massive upgrade to my old fiesta!
Also, does it auto hold when doing a hill start? I've been looking mainly at the elite nav as they have an electronic handbrake, but the sri seems to have a manual handbrake.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yes, there's a switch on the stalk.
By the way, ignore our serial moaner, there's absolutely no discernible lag when the system is operational and there are no large areas unilluminated when segments are off. Also, it doesn't have high-beam assist, that's the old version on cars with AFL etc.

Hill start assist is on higher spec cars so SRi/ Elite should be fine. If you wanted a used SRiNav with Intellilux I know just where to look...

http://www.dickensvauxhall.co.uk/used-vehicles/5761842-vauxhall-astra-16-new-astra-sri-nav-1.6-cdti-136/ Car Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just to inform you: if you are ordering customised Astra with Intellilux, be prepared to wait to half a year for your car. My dealer informed me they have problems keeping up with the production of the headlight units + some delays due to the water in the rear lights. My Opel Astra was ordered on 21. January, current delivery date is on week 30 (end of July). :(

·
Registered
325 Posts
matjako said:
Just to inform you: if you are ordering customised Astra with Intellilux, be prepared to wait to half a year for your car. My dealer informed me they have problems keeping up with the production of the headlight units + some delays due to the water in the rear lights. My Opel Astra was ordered on 21. January, current delivery date is on week 30 (end of July). :(
Oh man, the dealer told me I was gonna wait that long if I order now!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Just to confirm what SwissTJ has said, SRi models with the manual handbrake do have hill start assist, or at least mine does.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My original delivery date was March 18 (It's Opel Astra innovation 136 hp cdti, advanced park assist, sun roof, intellilux, link NAV900). Dealer is trying to comfort me, that this is the most pessimistic date. I am still on event 25 as of this friday.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies so far, it's so refreshing to go on a forum where people don't make stupid remarks and snipe at each other's grammar! I've been comparing the differences between Sri and elite and it the only perks of having an elite seem to be: Heated steering wheel, heated read seats, rear USB sockets, electric seats and an electronic parking break. Unless I'm missing anything else?
For the life of me there is a pack available for the Sri which has the forward facing camera to detect road signs... I like the sound of that! Oh and I saw a YouTube video where it can tell you how many seconds the car ahead of you is, I'd be interested in that too! The Astra seems to have come on leaps and bounds in the past 10 years! I've always been interested in cars, and I'd have never thought at the age of 25 of be lusting after an Astra!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Don't forget the Elite also comes with Leather seats, door sills, dual zone climate control, ambient door lighting. Also it has the piano black fascia.

The Drivers Assistance pack you refer to comes as standard with the SRi but is an option on the Elite.

I kinda went for the best of both worlds - I went for the Elite and added on the Drivers Assistance pack.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My sri has the sign reading thing, lane detection, with cruise control on, the car could drive itself for miles, I opted to have the heated seats and steering wheel too

·
Registered
83 Posts
matjako said:
Hmm, that's odd. I ordered mine in the beginning of March and they say the delivery date at the moment is 5th May. I'm at event 36 and the production was supposed to end 7th April.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Freeman3030 said:
MarcR said:
Do you get the sport button on the Elite?

That button always puts a smile on my face when I press it. :D
What does the sport button actually do?
Hi

Turns the car into a fire breathing dragon :).

It's supposed to make the throttle and steering more responsive I believe. Not tried it though.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
280 Posts
It definately changes the characteristics of the car!

I think that they should put a big smiley face on the button, as thats what my face looks like when i have sport mode switched on!

Best reason of all to go SRI in my humble opinion!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Once I hit 2k miles I'm pressing it, I've been holding off to treat myself lol

·
Registered
360 Posts
"Fire breathing dragon" is actually a very good description. Don't turn it on/off every few minutes for comparison though - you'll get very confused as the throttle is very sensitive in Sport mode!

The acceleration is impressive in Sport mode and e car certainly feels very different to drive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts