Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, has anyone removed the trim around the onstar buttons and interior lights to find if there is an ignition switched power supply?
I want to wire in a dashcam and don't want to either have the wire run around the window or plug it into the only power socket in the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Not sure, but I did manage to get my dealer to agree to install the wiring for mine (won't know how they do it until closer to the time) before I receive the car next month, so it saves me having to remove the trim and not get it back to the factory look. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
It's a pity the built in camera isn't able to work as a dashcam and record video onto an SD card.

What did you have in mind Gaz? A small camera at the top of the windscreen, near to the OnStar buttons and existing camera? Which model are you think of getting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UKtekkie said:
It's a pity the built in camera isn't able to work as a dashcam and record video onto an SD card.

What did you have in mind Gaz? A small camera at the top of the windscreen, near to the OnStar buttons and existing camera? Which model are you think of getting?
I already have a Mio Mivue 658 whis is totally brilliant. I'm moving it from my old car into the new one. It's a bit tricky locating it though because of the huge bulge behind the rear view mirror is always visible in the recordings. If you move it down then it affects your field of view.

I want to be able to permanently wire the power adaptor out of the way and am hoping there is a suitable place above the courtesy lights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
gadgetgaz said:
UKtekkie said:
It's a pity the built in camera isn't able to work as a dashcam and record video onto an SD card.

What did you have in mind Gaz? A small camera at the top of the windscreen, near to the OnStar buttons and existing camera? Which model are you think of getting?
I already have a Mio Mivue 658 whis is totally brilliant. I'm moving it from my old car into the new one. It's a bit tricky locating it though because of the huge bulge behind the rear view mirror is always visible in the recordings. If you move it down then it affects your field of view.

I want to be able to permanently wire the power adaptor out of the way and am hoping there is a suitable place above the courtesy lights.
With the issue of location I've put my camera right at the top of the window about half way between mirror and passenger side a pillar , keepingredients it out of drivers view and no obstructions in the recordings
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Mio Mivue 658 has an always on display that shows the time, speed camera warnings and gps speed so I want it somewhere visible.
I've hung it centrally from the camera bulge behind the rear view mirror but still need to wire it permanently in.
It's easy to drop the courtesy light housing but I didn't have time to check all the connections with a multimeter for an ignition switched live. That's a job for the near future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
widds said:
Hi, there are 4 push clips holding the onstar and light and behind is a plug where has a RED wire which in 12 volts but it is a permanent 12 volts hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. At this point I decided to make "semi" hard wiring and took the power from OBD-connector since there is easy access available. I made a custom adapter cable for dash cam. One end of the adapter cable has male OBD connector and other end has connector for dash cam's original cable with cigarrette plug. Cable for the camera is hided and can not be seen. I'm thinking maybe adding some kind of extra battery someday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
798 Posts
Grohar said:
Thanks for the info. At this point I decided to make "semi" hard wiring and took the power from OBD-connector since there is easy access available. I made a custom adapter cable for dash cam. One end of the adapter cable has male OBD connector and other end has connector for dash cam's original cable with cigarrette plug. Cable for the camera is hided and can not be seen. I'm thinking maybe adding some kind of extra battery someday.
Is that ignition live or permanent 12V ?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top