Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting the ‘service vehicle soon’ warning on start up from cold. I changed the oil and filter recently and reset the oil life counter, and other threads on here suggest there isn’t another service flag that gets reset when in the garage, so maybe it’s a new fault. But, I’ve checked for fault codes via OBD (ok, only a cheap scanner so maybe some codes are not shown) and there are no fault codes, and the car runs fine.

So I got to wondering - is there a way that VX could use the out of service ‘onStar’ system to send the car an instruction to display the ‘service soon’ warning because the emissions recall is outstanding (and will remain so because I don’t want it)?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The Astra has no OTA capabilites, so it is 100% surely, nothing to do with the recall.

Probably a less "important" error that has been logged.

If it is engine related, even a cheap ELM327 bluetooth dongle is going to go a long way.

I have such a device in my car, as it is very small, and connects to my phone. Have used it a few times where a code was hindering my continued travel, because a spurious problem threw the car into limp home mode, that limited revs to 3000.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Astra has no OTA capabilites, so it is 100% surely, nothing to do with the recall.

Probably a less "important" error that has been logged.

If it is engine related, even a cheap ELM327 bluetooth dongle is going to go a long way.

I have such a device in my car, as it is very small, and connects to my phone. Have used it a few times where a code was hindering my continued travel, because a spurious problem threw the car into limp home mode, that limited revs to 3000.

Astra-K does indeed have OTA capabilities, and has been used once before. OnStar equipped vehicles lay dormant with the Vodaphone service plan still active.

When the huge OnStar exploit was leaked GM did a OTA update to patch the module's firmware.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Interesting. But can OTA just reach the comms module or can it reach the car computer?
It has full bus capabilities (HS-CAN and SW-CAN), they can execute any script on any bus, so running a 0x36 calibration write isn't any issue even on the ECM.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You really need dealer level diagnostics, otherwise you are swapping parts & hoping for results. The latest version of Opcom may have some capabilities, but I'm no expert on the latest diagnostics. @Valer may be able to help further. I have a cheap plug & paly OBD reader, but it has it's limitations.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My astra j used to do this when the glow plugs failed. If unsure just pop the connectors off each one and test for resistance on the glow plug terminal to engine ground. Zero resistance = failed glow plug.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My astra j used to do this when the glow plugs failed. If unsure just pop the connectors off each one and test for resistance on the glow plug terminal to engine ground. Zero resistance = failed glow plug.
I would sugges doing all 4 and comparing.

A good working glow plug should have very little resistance, so unless it is a lot lower than the other 3 or it is literally 0 ohms, i would not rule it as bad, just because it has "zero resistance"

The failed glowplugs i have seen have usually been where they either was "infitite ohms" and some have been "a lot higher ohms" than the other ones.

Reactions: Shaky

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have read up on changing them. It seems the risk is the plug shearing off in the head if the screw thread is too seized. Hot engine, lots of plus gas and a torque limited wrench seem to be order of the day.

It seems the ones with the pressure sensor are c£70 each compared with ‘normal’ ones at £15-£20 each. I think Astra K 1.6 CDti needs the expensive ones (anybody confirm please?).

·
Registered
825 Posts
is it not best to remove them to test them any way
I would say not Chris, as if you test them in situ and they all test OK, you haven't got to worry about removing them.

Also, as Astraowner & Valer say, a faulty Glowplug will normally show infinite resistance (i.e. because of there being no circuit for current to pass through) or at least something higher than 1 or 2 Ω.

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
my self i would change all 4 before the cold weather hits us
Takes less than 5 minutes with an ohms meter to check if they are at all bad.

If they are not, i would not bother changing them...Even if the cold weather is just around the corner.:)

Reactions: Shaky
1 - 20 of 34 Posts