Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a work Samsung S4 which shows my texts on the screen when connected via Bluetooth.

I also have an iPhone 5s, but this does not show my message inbox when connected via Bluetooth, what am I doing wrong guys?

G

·
I'm not sure whether the iPhone will be compatible in that way due to the nature of the OS, I'll try and find out for you (I work in the industry).

G

·
I've had an ask and it looks like it's not going to work unless there's a dedicated app for it to connect to the system. Could be wrong though and hopefully someone else who has an iPhone will be able to clarify.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes, to use Apple CarPlay you must connect via a cable. Bluetooth works well but offers limited functionality compared to CarPlay.

However, even CarPlay won't display text messages as that is regarded as a distraction to drivers. It will read your messages though.

Apple do now support CarPlay via Bluetooth but I don't believe any car manufacturers support it yet. Hopefully it will be added via a software update but we shouldn't assume it will.

I suspect Android Auto also needs a cable connection but can't be sure.

·
Registered
463 Posts
From what I've read android auto needs a cable, also there is an app called android auto so maybe you need to install that as well?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Android phone works fine via Bluetooth.

What I want is for the car to read the texts from my iPhone out loud via Bluetooth. I know you can get siri to do it IF the phone is connected by a USB cable and you are using car play.

If Apple think it's a safety matter, why can siri do it?

G

·
Is there a setting in accessibility which will read out text messages? Not sure if there's something available there.

·
Registered
360 Posts
MarcR said:
What I want is for the car to read the texts from my iPhone out loud via Bluetooth.
No problem. Once the iPhone is connected via Bluetooth just hold the 'Speak' button on the steering wheel for a couple of seconds then say, "Read my messages". Pressing the button briefly activates the car's own voice system but a long press activates Siri.

Neither CarPlay nor Bluetooth will display your iPhone messages but both can read them.

iPhones won't read messages automatically when they arrive though.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I assume that, on Android, you do have the option to stop it reading messages out loud? That could get messy LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts