·
Registered
2017 1.4 SRi Nav
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
This quote is from another thread but this link explains what the OnStar exploit was GM Took 5 Years to Fix a Full-Takeover Hack in Millions of OnStar Cars

I'd never heatd of it.
Seems to me that the OTA update mentioned was limited to the OnStar module which makes sense, as this would be connected and have data connectivity.

The rest of the Astra K, does not seem to have any OTA options, even though the HMI clearly had the provisions for making it possible, but that feature was never enabled, atleast not on on HMI's in Astra K's.

Earlier firmware versions had full wifi connectivity capabilities in their hidden menu, and atleast in "version 2" of the firmware, dated 2016, the "check for firmware update" was even visible in the settings menu, when the radio was flashed, with this firmware, but not variant coded. The radio would display a Chevrolet logo upside down on the screen, and as said, the settings menu would contain a "Check for firmware updates" menu item. Connecting the radio to wifi and pressing the "Check for firmware upgrades" option, only gave a "This unit has the latest firmware installed" reply.

My guess is that the reason it said so, was because the update server, that it would pull the update from, was never actually set up, and this message was the default message, if the radio was unable to contact the actual server.

The wifi menu was removed in the later versions of the firmware.

From what i have heard, even the updated 2020 onward radio units have no OTA firmware available, so you still have to go to vauxhall to have the radio updated, at great expense.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts