Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am in the process of arranging car insurance ready for the 1st March :) , one of the standard question - Is a tracking device fitted to the vehicle?
can OnStar be counted as a tracking device ? I am Interested in the opinion of the forum.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi Reaching,

As far as I know, OnStar does not count as a "Thatcham Approved Tracking system", so I wouldn't tick the box to say a tracking device is fitted.

However, if you look at the ABI insurance groups for the car, the SRI & Elite models are lower than the other trims due to their better security and alarms as standard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi MarcR,

In a few of the insurance application I made, "Thatcham Approved Tracking system" was an option along with the option "Others". However I do take your point that the SRI & Elite models are at the higher end of any reduction in insurance costs.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi Reachout,

I would still be reluctant to make a statement to an insurer that the car is fitted with a tracking device. If the insurer doesn't agree that OnStar meets their requirements of what a tracking device is, you could have a problem.

If you can speak to the insurer on the phone, you can get their take on it (I suspect that as the system is new, different insurers will have a different view).

I am an insurance broker by profession (I don't tend to get involved in personal insurance as I look after businesses)

If you do get agreement over the phone, make sure you record the operators name, time & date so that if need be you can refer them back to the call recording.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
280 Posts
MarcR said:
Hi Reaching,

As far as I know, OnStar does not count as a "Thatcham Approved Tracking system", so I wouldn't tick the box to say a tracking device is fitted.

However, if you look at the ABI insurance groups for the car, the SRI & Elite models are lower than the other trims due to their better security and alarms as standard.
Just to let you know, I was speaking to a guy at Thatcham today, and he has confirmed that it is NOT a Thatcham Approved device.

·
Registered
360 Posts
MarcR said:
Hi Reachout,

I would still be reluctant to make a statement to an insurer that the car is fitted with a tracking device.

If you do get agreement over the phone, make sure you record the operators name, time & date so that if need be you can refer them back to the call recording.
Good advice - Thanks

I spoke to Admiral and explained my Astra had a Vauxhall OnStar factory fitted tracking device and asked if it counted. After checking, the advisor confirmed it would, providing the 4G data subscription had not expired and the system was working.

I recorded his full name and date and time of the call. I think I'm well covered as a result but I'm not sure it gave much, if any, reduction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.