Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Days of old, when ordering a new car, you could sometimes have a pic of new registration numbers available.
Seems you can't do that now without paying the dvla for it.
Now we know that the first two letters are dictated by where the car is registered.

My question.
Do you think I could get my dealership to register the car elsewhere in the country so as to "pick" the first two letters?

Cheers
Kev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Maybe you could get it registered with a VX plate from Severn Valley - Worcester
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,007 Posts
As far as I know it's always been the case that a car will have a number plate that's regionalised to the area it's registered, unless it's a personal plate. When I bought mine I had a choice of numbers that the dealer had been allocated, but they all started AK65.

Since all the local DVLA offices have closed all registrations are handled by Swansea, so I'm not sure if there would be any way your dealer could get it registered elsewhere, unless they had a branch in the area the plates you want are allocated.

KK is Luton, and KW is Northampton.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Friend of mine got to pick the reg of his new Ford Focus but again only had the choice of local registrations I think the dealer gets like a quota of registrations to use and you can pick out of their quota if anything suits you but I never got offered it this time.

Bought a VXR few years ago and got offered then but they then phoned me few days later saying 'oh we've already registered it for you'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gutted!
I'm buying from a Lookers dealership.
Unfortunately even if they could get it registered somewhere else, they don't have branches in Luton or Northampton :cry: so no KK or KW for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
856 Posts
KevWak said:
Gutted!
I'm buying from a Lookers dealership.
Unfortunately even if they could get it registered somewhere else, they don't have branches in Luton or Northampton :cry: so no KK or KW for me.
Hi

I bought my plates back in June last year from the DVLA as that was the only way I could ensure getting what I wanted. Didn't change the area code though as I wanted it to be locally registered as that was part of the registration.

Cheers

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paulch said:
KevWak said:
Gutted!
I'm buying from a Lookers dealership.
Unfortunately even if they could get it registered somewhere else, they don't have branches in Luton or Northampton :cry: so no KK or KW for me.
Hi

I bought my plates back in June last year from the DVLA as that was the only way I could ensure getting what I wanted. Didn't change the area code though as I wanted it to be locally registered as that was part of the registration.

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul.

If you don't mind, how much did the dvla charge for your plate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
A few helpful dealers may be allocated a small selection that you can choose from but the first two letters will be dictated by the area. I asked my dealer and although he admitted they had several registrations available he wouldn't let me choose, saying his admin dept wouldn't even let him choose.

DVLA charge £399 for their cheapest current year plates (i.e. "16") and you can choose any letters. Words like VX16 CAR cost around £899. If you're happy with an older plate they're often £250 but you can't get a future year, so can't get FA77YME for example.

The DVLA search system is pretty neat and I was tempted by AB16 DAD or VX16 RED. Dunno what you do if you chose 'Emerald green' or 'Asteroid grey' or some other namby pamby colour - they won't fit! Too many letters, you see! You should have thought of that when you paid the extra dosh to avoid getting manly Superior RED like the rest of us...

See http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
856 Posts
KevWak said:
Paulch said:
KevWak said:
Gutted!
I'm buying from a Lookers dealership.
Unfortunately even if they could get it registered somewhere else, they don't have branches in Luton or Northampton :cry: so no KK or KW for me.
Hi

I bought my plates back in June last year from the DVLA as that was the only way I could ensure getting what I wanted. Didn't change the area code though as I wanted it to be locally registered as that was part of the registration.

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul.

If you don't mind, how much did the dvla charge for your plate?
Hi

Mine were £399 including the assignment fee.

Cheers

Paul
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top