1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Design and build custom made heater.
2. Install it.
3. Done! ;)

A year ago my brother did the design and build part of heating element. It has 3 x 3W heating power. Each 3W section has temperature switch to optimize power acc conditions. Below there´s led indicators to show the current status of engaged elements.

Today we finally installed it. Heater looks like that:
Hood Crankset Automotive tire Automotive lighting Trunk

It´s powered by front reading lamp section. Reading lamps are 5 + 5W normally. I´ve switched them to LED-s. So total max power consumtion should be no more than 11W. Still less than 1A.

With total thickness less than 3mm the heater fits perfectly under the plastic housing.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Crankset

Outside there´s no visible signs of upgrade
Automotive lighting Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Font

Inside the only clue about something new is a switch installed to the light panel assembly.

First drive was a success. Now I´m curious to perform some more real life testing. :cool:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day II and still amused :)

-12 degrees outside, windscreen slightly icy inside (residual condensation from yesterday).
After 3km drive to gas station the windscreen looked like that:
Eye Automotive tire Window Grey Flash photography

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

I think we have the circuit boards and components for at least 2 more heaters. Are you willing to buy the assembly?
I am not the owner of design and I know that a lot of hours were spent to create it. I must check up the price and get back to You in case of interest.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great work, I think it should be tested on the facelift Astra K as I know that their windscreen moulds for front camera are different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys!

I think we have the circuit boards and components for at least 2 more heaters. Are you willing to buy the assembly?
I am not the owner of design and I know that a lot of hours were spent to create it. I must check up the price and get back to You in case of interest.
Yes, buying would be of interest. I also have the option to do the component soldering myself.
My car is Model 2016.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, a week has passed quick.

Acc possible options the price for assembled heater element is 80€ EXW (Estonia).
I have 2pcs ready assembled heaters and the circuit boards for 2 more.

Heater fits LHD Astra K 2015-2019. 99% possibility that it fits to RHD car as well - it just has not been tested.
Heater has been tested by me in temperature range of +2...-18 degrees. It has succeeded in all test runs.
Product Rectangle Textile Vehicle registration plate Font

In case of intrest and possible group purchase of 30pcs I could get the price down by a little.
I enclosed the circuit scheme in case someone is inetrested in soldering job / building their own boards.

For more information You can send me direct message / write into topic.

Attachments

·
Registered
863 Posts
Nice job (y) Even better that it doesn't look like an afterthought either......very impressed.

Reactions: JariPK and 880PEL

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice job (y) Even better that it doesn't look like an afterthought either......very impressed.
Thanks for kind words! Lots of time and effort has been put into this :) So far, I´d say it´s totally worth it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts