Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a difficult decision - hit the texting van driver that was wandering into my lane, or swerve into the gutter and produce a spectacular wave of sh*t...
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Glad you're SRi is OK (and you).

What's the automatic emergency braking like in the Driver Assistance Pack (standard on SRi, £595 for Elite and £795 for other trims)?

Do people find it really helpful, not noticed or a pain due to incorrectly braking for no reason?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not been brave enough to test its very low speed capability - it will allegedly stop the the car but I don't fancy having to expain if it doesn't. At higher speeds, it's jumped in a few times when it's seen traffic ahead slowing quicker than I am, knocking off the cruise control and on one occasion, I'm pretty sure it applied the brakes - in every instance its intervention has been justified, though it panics sooner that I do, which might not be a bad thing.

The flashing lights/beeper is a more frequent alert, and it can be fooled by it not being human - as an example, where I live there's always a couple of cars parked on opposite sides of the road causing a chicane as I enter the estate - the system always fires up as I overtake the nearside car and am then seemingly on a collision course with the offside car -I know I'm going to move back over but the system doesn't. It's no big deal and you can reduce the sensitivity, if required.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Excellent - sounds really good and I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the detailed information.

As you're SRi is really muddy now, perhaps you'll reconsider and do a proper head-on collision test for the benefit of everybody else on the forum... ;-)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm due to order my next one later today, so maybe that would hasten its arrival!

In fact, I think that up to 30-odd mph the system actually starts braking automatically but relies on the driver to complete the task - I don't think it will bring the car to a stop. The high-speed intervention may just have been the cruise control coming off at a (ahem) somewhat higher speed.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
SwissTJ said:
The flashing lights/beeper is a more frequent alert, and it can be fooled by it not being human - as an example, where I live there's always a couple of cars parked on opposite sides of the road causing a chicane as I enter the estate - the system always fires up as I overtake the nearside car and am then seemingly on a collision course with the offside car -I know I'm going to move back over but the system doesn't. It's no big deal and you can reduce the sensitivity, if required.
I've had similar, in our village there is a little island with a bollard to give pedestrians a central refuge when crossing the road. There is always a car parked just past this so the car does tend to think I'm heading straight for it just as I pull out to pass it and sounds the alert.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.