Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You'll never get 5000K out of a halogen. All they do is put a blue coating on the bulb to try to "whiten" the light emitted from the filament so even though you may get a slightly whiter light, you lose some of the lumens output unfortunately.

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
The ones @mikejtownsend posted looked so much whiter yet was 3800k ish
I bought some white looking ones for a previous Astra J, looked whiter, but weren't actually any brighter. Led's are good, but unless fitted from factory are not legal. As it's hard to judge from a photo.
I'm staying put with my Lidl up to 100% brighter bulbs, they're OK and better than factory, although still a bit yellow.

·
Registered
259 Posts
but remenber the mot tester can only visualy look he cant not remove the dust cover to see what bulb you got in,so if there are no wires coming out and the aligment is within spec it should pass

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
but remenber the mot tester can only visualy look he cant not remove the dust cover to see what bulb you got in,so if there are no wires coming out and the aligment is within spec it should pass
I get where you're coming from by that Chris but it's fairly obvious to anyone who knows even a little about cars (and you would've hoped the mech's doing the MOT would know :ROFLMAO: ) the difference between a Halogen incandescent headlight output and an LED headlight output. I don't know if I'd be willing to risk that in an attempt to get it through the MOT. :unsure:

Then again, just how many testers actually do a thorough test ? There's a fair few horror stories on t'internet about set-up ringers being sent into garages for MOT's and them getting a pass with fairly serious faults.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts