Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so today I decided to change my headlight bulbs as the standard halogens look really yellow in comparison to the DRL's

After removing the first I was having issues getting the spring clip back on in a way that it holds the bulb securely into position. So I thought I'd take a look at how the other one was on and pretty much as soon as I touched it the clip came straight off and now I have the same problem on both sides. In hindsight I wish I had took pictures of the bulbs and spring clips in place before I started but having changed so many headlight bulbs in the past I really didn't think I was going to have any problems. Why Vauxhall didn't stick with the twist fit design used on the J I don't know. I've managed to get both bulbs in place temporarily but I'm not happy with how secure they are and now every time I start the car it tells me to check both dipped beam headlight bulbs so the car clearly knows something isn't right :lol:

Has anyone else changed the standard halogen bulbs yet? how did you get on?

I'm going to have another go at it tomorrow and hopefully get it sorted.

Would anyone be willing to post or send me some pictures of their bulbs unplugged but still clipped in and in place that shows how the clip is put on? It would be much appreciated.

The issue that I'm having is that I have the bottom part in what I would assume to be the right place but obviously isn't because when I clip the top part of the clip on both sides, the bulb can be puled out and put back in so the clip is on but its not actually holding the bulb in place.

This is definitely the worst thing about buying such a new model of car, there just isn't anything like the available information online. If you type in pretty much any established model into google there are full guides, videos, images etc. Type in Astra K to google and it assumes that you meant to type Astra H

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Matt, thanks for that, I did actually try the manual when I first ran into problems. The image with the spring clip in place doesn't look at all accurate and I can't seem to make any sense of instruction number 4.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Razormatt said:
What bulbs did you go for in the end
Just noticed this, I jusst put in a set I got off ebay for my astra j. They're xenon gas with blue tinted glass. They didn't cost me a lot but the light they put out is so much better than standard.

Kinda wish I just went to Halfords and bought a set and got them to fit them now though :lol:

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ZappyPayload said:
Yeah those will fit I just call them h7's I've never seen them being referred to as 477 h7's. Not sure if there is any difference.

I used one's that I had bought previously on eBay from a seller called ace car parts. I paid around £5 for them and they emit a nice white light that is very similar to the drls so looks a lot better imo.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the link Sandy, 4500K and a good price. Looks like they are not road legal either but im not really sure how much that would matter.

The wattage is about double that of the Phillips however as Razormatt said

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've never swapped bulbs for a different type. I appreciate the alternatives are whiter but how does the brightness compare? Are they significantly brighter?

Why might some bulbs not be legal? Is it typically because they are too blue, or not bright enough?

Complications with current load, and burning wires put me off, but I'm interested to hear the pros and cons.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Certain bulbs can be a lot brighter depends on the k rating and the type of gas in the bulbs like the ones I mentioned earlier

Most main stream bulbs will be 55w which will be fine you will normally find the bluer ones will make the car look nice but it's not useable light so will actually give you less light output

As for the ones that aren't legal some are just illegal because there not e marked or any if they are over 55watts (which is standard) they are not considered for road usage plus the higher the wattage the more heat output which can cause problems with wires melting

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In all honesty the main reason I change my headlight bulbs on pretty much every car I buy is because I prefer the look of white light to yellow light.

I've just realised that the link I posted a link for 100w bulbs. the ones I buy are always 55w. I wouldn't take the risk with 100w bulbs personally as I've heard of them damaging headlight units etc.

I've never done any proper testing to prove that the light output is better or worse, I think its better but I could just be telling my self this to justify the change for aesthetics

As for load issues as long as the bulbs ur replacing are of the same wattage etc I can't see there being any difference but I'm no expert.

I have heard of people changing to 100w bulbs which is illegal for road use and I've seen 85w bulbs for sale in Halfords which state on the pack that they are for off road use. But I wouldn't recommend them.

This is the ones I normally buy. they're a lot cheaper than the Osram or the Philips ones and I've always been happy with them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H7-499-55w-Super-White-Xenon-Headlight-Bulbs-12v-ACE2-/390760617016?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

·
Registered
73 Posts
UKtekkie said:
Why might some bulbs not be legal? Is it typically because they are too blue, or not bright enough?

Complications with current load, and burning wires put me off, but I'm interested to hear the pros and cons.
Apparently any bulb over I think 4300K or 4500K lumens is deemed illegal on a car, no idea why. Its not that they are actually brighter but the higher the lumen rating the more white the light is and right at the top of the scale is a bit more blue. The lower the level the more yellow the hue will be. The reason some of the bulbs are coated blue is just to dampen the yellow tinge, they dont actually look blue when on.

I like really white light so all the bulbs in my house are 6500K plus. I dont like the regular yellow bulbs you can get at all, they call them "warm white".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Standard light bulb

aftermarket bulb

To be honest the standard bulb does look brighter in the picture but that could just be the angle I've took the picture. I think that the new bulbs look a lot better next to the DRL's though.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts