Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what these are called, they're kind of like little mudflaps but they are in front of the front wheels.

I'm wondering if these are another victim of the 2016.5 model year changes, as I have them on my early SRi, but two new SRi models on stock at my dealers didn't have them. So, do you have them on your car, and which model year have you got?

·
Registered
46 Posts
yep there on my energy 1.4 turbo 125ps, 65 plate reg last October, not sure what there for but they were on my old astra j as well.
just been informed.
apparently they create low pressure on the backside of them hence speeding up the air flow keeping the brakes cool, well that's what I have just been told.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
skybluenergy said:
yep there on my energy 1.4 turbo 125ps, 65 plate reg last October, not sure what there for but they were on my old astra j as well.
just been informed.
apparently they create low pressure on the backside of them hence speeding up the air flow keeping the brakes cool, well that's what I have just been told.
I thought they were there to give you something to ground out on sleeping policemen! I'm guessing it's another cost saving exercise then.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Without wanting to discount other theories, a quick google turned this up...

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=113182

Basically the article says they are to reduce drag caused by the front wheels.
They do unsettle the airflow meaning the wheels aren't trying to constantly force through a solid block of air. The little flaps have to be just the right size though.

Overall, they help to reduce the drag coefficient of the car and therefore increase fuel economy.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm guessing it's another cost saving exercise
I wish people would stop being so negative about the MY2016.5 model. Vauxhall proudly claimed the original MY2016 model was 200kg lighter than the previous generation Astra but us MY2016.5 owners know our Astra is a good 250kg lighter, thanks to removing all these spurious extras that nobody needs...

Now, has anybody seen my petrol cap? And where's my brake pedal gone?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks KevWak - that's fascinating. It claims a very large proportion of the drag is typically from the front wheels and these little wing thingies can actually improve fuel economy by 10% which is very impressive. I might see if my kids can make me some out of milk bottle tops or papier mache or something...

I see the original June 2015 MY2016 Price List/Spec and the new March 2016 MY2016.5 one both show exactly the same fuel consumption for the 1.4 150ps SRi. I wonder if that's actually true if these wings really make a few % difference. What would the MY2016.5 Astra achieve if subjected to the same test? It would be very dubious practice on Vauxhall's part if they did things to improve fuel economy for the spec which they later removed!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I do not have these on my 1.4/150.
I did however have them on my previous Astra J 1.7 CDTI, can they be limited to certain engine types? Maybe diesels and the less powerful petrols?

However, they were a nuisance on my J when I lowered it, they were catching the ground all the time so I don't miss them at all now :)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kristis said:
Is there a place to find online part catalog? Im guessing they have changed the whole skirt and side flare layout :)
They look like they are just a screw on part, so could probably be added. I did notice a late model J they had there also had them, so maybe it isn't a con to get better figures, let's face it they can manipulate those plenty without adding a couple of plastic flaps.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Maybe the Polish factory forgot to fit them but the early ones produced in the UK factory did :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Not had chance to check my K but I suspect not as it's a 2016.5 model and as my K Astra doesn't scrape on the driveway (as didn't my old H) when pulling onto it due to the slight incline, unlike the seriously overweight J!
I seem to remember thinking that one of the weird flaps was looking decidedly loose when I sold it so it's just something less to fall off over time! :lol:

·
Registered
856 Posts
fryrpc said:
Maybe the Polish factory forgot to fit them but the early ones produced in the UK factory did :)
Hi

Mine doesn't and as far as I am aware it is a my2016 made in the UK delivered 15th Jan to the dealer.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
280 Posts
Used to have these on my Insignia.

Checked the Astra last night and it does have some kind of skirt which goes all round the front of the car underneath which looks like it would do a similar job. I will try to get a photo later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.