Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ,,, i found this torum accidentally while browsing for info - great to see an active astra k forum

i have a 136 diesel elite nav in black which was new at xmas - i quite like the car but it does have a few small issues and i see from reading here already im not the only one whose fuel gauge never reads full despite the tank being brimmed

anyway love the wifi

the mpg is prtty much what i expected but the app and car trip computer rarely tally or get anywhere near quoted figures ( quell surprise ! )

anyway had eml light come on and error P0299 tonight , i cleared the code ok but any info on this would be welcomed as its many years since i had a vauxhall so not very familiar with their normal issues

thanks for reading - Skool

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cornishtaz said:
Welcome.

What sort of calculated mpg are you getting and what is displayed on the trip computer.

P0299 relates to turbo underboost.
thanks for that info - yup i found the same result as turbo underboost ,, RAC are coming out as vauxhall are so busy they cant even book a slot for it for two weeks !

mpg on the onstar app hasnt moved since new - 39 overall and trip a says 37

vehicle says about 44mpg on trip A which has never been reset since new - using trip b i see 60mpg sometimes on motorway runs so id of expected the app to update its overall mpg figures by now

also i have electronic parking brake which quite often keeps you awake by releasing sporadically ,, wouldnt be such an issue if i didnt live on a steep hill - when the temps are very cold on initial start up in the morning the revs seem to go a bit higher then usual ( presuming choke effect or extra revs to cope with electronic load as auto demisters and seats etc come on) and this extra few revs momentarily seems to fool the car into thinking i want to set off so handbrake releases - gonna ask vx if theres an update for this - im fairly used to it now and keep my foot firmly jammed on the footbrake at all times but can see this being a problem in the future for astra k owners once large volumes are sold and used

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Your mpg figures are alot lower than mine. Trip says 63mpg calculated is udually around 55mpg.

Not heard of issues with EPB releasing itself. Only electronic issue I've had was today when the clock randomly disappeared cane bsck after sn hour with ignition turned off.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

yup theyre not great but also just dont seem to update on app ,, tyre pressures are also wildly innacurate on app but i have set them and checked them religiously and frequently so i know they are at optimum setting

aaah well i guess its all part of the fun of newish tech

i find the heaters take an age to get warm as well and almost wont get warm on cold days unless you deliberatly work the turbo

was somewhat disappointed when i got the eml light on earlier and pressed onstar button in the hope of a diagnosis or error code etc ,, the lovely lady was kind enough to inform the car had a problem ,,, i mentioned i was aware of the problem as i have a bright orange light on my dash telling me that and was hoping for more info from onstar but apparently they dont have the capability to advise on what the issues or codes might be - fingers crossed the nice man from the rac can fix it

·
Registered
280 Posts
The ability to remote diagnose a problem is one of the big selling points for OnStar.

Read any article about the car in the press and they specifically say that OnStar can do this.

Another one for Vauxhall to answer I guess?

·
Registered
145 Posts
MarcR said:
The ability to remote diagnose a problem is one of the big selling points for OnStar.

Read any article about the car in the press and they specifically say that OnStar can do this.

Another one for Vauxhall to answer I guess?
I work for a Vauxhall dealership and can confirm:

OnStar Diagnostics can certainly identify which specific area of the vehicle a fault is coming from AND the specific trouble code.

It seems like the original poster may have had a relatively new OnStar advisor who wasn't sure how to assist you. I'm sure the training on their side will improve to at least dealership standard level (I hope).

I would like to refer you to this article on the US/American version of OnStar:

http://www.experienceonstar.com/view/advanced-diagnostics-at-your-fingertips/?cmp=social_tw_tech_AD

The UK/Europe edition is exactly the same.

During the Vehicle Data Upload stage, the trouble codes are collected, compiled and pushed back to OnStar hardware.
At the OnStar call center, the data is automatically converted from hexadecimal into text units. Then, using a database of all trouble codes, each DTC reported is associated with a severity level as well as an appropriate course of action for the Subscriber to follow.
DTC stands for Diagnostic Trouble Code. It is the fault code recorded by the Engine Control Unit. This data is directly accessible by the OnStar advisors in the UK as long as you have accepted Vauxhall/GM's terms and conditions on OnStar setup. You know you've accepted them correctly if you have access to your 4G LTE connection.

The OnStar advisor should have reported to you the fault code and what it relates to. The severity level indicates how to proceed, whether to call recovery or keep driving and book into dealer. It's a new system so expect teething problems but I expected better myself!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that was what i thought !

anyway RAC could not attempt a fix so car is being recovered to dealer in the morning - vauxhall wont be able to look at it for at least two weeks as they are booked out so despite the fact it may just be a sensor needs swapping out i wont be driving it for a while for sure

at 1000 miles in after 6 weeks - not a great start tbh

i did speak at length to onstar ,, i specifically asked for the fault code and she clearly said they do not have access to that information ,, all she could say was that my engine had a fault ,, i suggested it seemed like an engine management issue rather then an engine fault but again she repeated she had no way of knowing that information and onnher logs it was an engine fault

i hope i can get the missing weeks of my onstar and wifi access from when it sits in their car park added onto the back end of the year

in all honesty a 6 week old car should be treated as a priority to get codes read and a sensor replaced and returned to the customer asap imo but that doesnt appear to be what will happen

·
Registered
495 Posts
cornishtaz said:
Not heard of issues with EPB releasing itself. Only electronic issue I've had was today when the clock randomly disappeared cane bsck after sn hour with ignition turned off.
Can honestly say never had any issues with the EPB in the new Astra or my old GTC but I do know they removed it from the GTC for a while as it was causing problems

Also had the same thing where my clock disappeared tried switching the engine of and on a few times but after locking the car up for 30 minutes and going back out to the car it reappeared

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.