Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is in today for them to look at the fuel gauge issues, and they've lent me this.

http://www.taylorsvauxhall.co.uk/used-vehicles/5152654-vauxhall-astra-excite/

What a difference between this and my car, I can see why everyone says how much better the K is. I really don't like the way the handbrake sits when it's off, right up against the centre console.

Anyway, I suppose I'd better go and take it back to them, I can drink their coffee and use their wi-fi if mine's not ready yet.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sorry to hear it's not fixed but would love to hear more on the differences between Astra J and K now you've driven both in the same day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I traded my j in for the K which really let's me appreciate the improvements vauxhall have made.

Interior wise, the layout of the dashboard is much better, the dark headlining is nicer and the intelilink system is fantastic. I do miss the cubby hole under the stereo though. The new bit for keeping your phone is no use to me being a Sony z3 owner it doesn't fit and I don't think the cup holders are quite as good.

I think the styling is much sharper aswell, it looks really up to date and in Sri trim it looks more sporty than the j did with the exception of the lack of exhaust tailpiece on the K.

My j was a 1.4 turbo and I decided to go for the 1.0 this time as I mainly do town driving and don't really need the extra power. I have to admit that the 1.0 doesn't feel much different performance wise in comparison to the 1.4 especially considering there is a 35hp difference.
The sound of the 3 cylinder engine will take a bit of getting used to though, it's very growly in comparison to the 4 cylinder in my j which sounded a lot smoother.

Overall the k is a significant improvement over the J and I'm glad I decided to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UKtekkie said:
Sorry to hear it's not fixed but would love to hear more on the differences between Astra J and K now you've driven both in the same day.
To be fair I didn't drive the J that far, about 16 miles each way. The 1.4 J (non-turbo) was significantly slower than the 1.0 K, the steering was weightier, which normally I'd prefer, but didn't feel as good as the K. As Sandy has said the layout of the buttons on the K, especially the stereo is far better. I keep my phone (Experia M2) inside the armrest cubbyhole on the K, as that's where the USB is, so the lower dash cubbyhole on the J didn't interest me. Noise wise the two sounded similar to me. I was quite surprised that the J didn't have a trip computer, but that maybe because it was only the second spec in the range. The dash display is much better, the red used on the J seems quite low-rent to me, and I think the positioning of the dials is better as I didn't manage to adjust things so that the top of the steering wheel didn't block the top of the fuel and temp gauges. The seat didn't feel as comfortable either, but again that could be the difference in specs. Maybe if I'd not driven the K I'd have been happy with a J, but having driven the K I'm glad I spent the extra to buy the new model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts