Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this is my second problem :)
I've noticed that my gears began to not engage properly quite often. Sometimes i need to put up 1st in order to engage reverse, or for example when in traffic and just as stop&start engaged, i try to put in the 1st and... nothing, it's again "locked" and i have to put in 2nd or 3rd in order to be able to get it into 1st. Anyone had such problem? Every 2nd time i try to engage 1st - i have a problem. Sometimes i also have problems when going from 2nd to 3rd.

Gear change, when it's working, is silky smooth, but this should not be happening to a new car... I've read that previous gen. had problems with the gearbox too and the gearbox is the same in K: http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-141423.html

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think your car has heard you complaining about Opel and is getting it's revenge! I think I'd be going to see the dealer if it were mine.

G

·
I know the M32 6 speed gearbox in the J suffered from multiple issues and wasn't the most reliable. Are they still using it in the K as I thought they were redesigning the gearboxes?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone more knowledgeable should comment, but everyone is saying that 6speed is the same :)

I'm still hoping it might be due to running in, but i will visit my dealer next month along with the oil change

·
Registered
856 Posts
Kristis said:
Someone more knowledgeable should comment, but everyone is saying that 6speed is the same :)

I'm still hoping it might be due to running in, but i will visit my dealer next month along with the oil change
Hi

So far in the two months I've had my car only once have I not been able to get it into reverse and releasing then pressing the clutch in cured it. Mine is a six speed gear box. My old Astra H five speed gearbox occasionally did this as well.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
14 Posts
And my 10 years old Audi A3 did it as well....After 10 years...Guys stop going soft this is not an issue that a brand new car should have. End of...
Kristis, go get it checked and insist on replacing if it happens again...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Came back from dealership... Gears ware smooth today and they told me "this is opel, maybe u just need time to adopt to it..." :D

I hate when u go to dealership WITH a problem, and during your stay there - everything is good. But the next day - same shit again :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Astra K uses the same M32 gearbox as Astra J. At least the model name is same. I've read that the M32 has undergone many design changes during its life. After MY2013 the gearbox has been improved and the newer models should be more reliable. The gearbox is very advanced in design and tolerances are very small, so they are difficult to manufacture.

I have the M32 in my current MY2013 Astra J and I've never had any problems with it. (During 108 000 km). Gears are smooth and they are even better in Astra K, so maybe the design has been improved again.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does feel quite nice, when it is working, but other times... :) I just hope that when it goes, it goes during warranty time :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts