Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I previously owned a Mk6 1.4T (140) and I could achieve the manufacturers MPG around town without trying as I can now with the 1.6 n/a VVTi but I have Just seen a couple of entries for the new Astra K on Honest John's real MPG web site and its not looking good...it states cars generally achieve 85% of their official MPG figure stated by the manufacturer....entries listed so far are:-

1.0 turbo = (42mpg) 65%
1.4T 150 = (29.6mpg) 58% :shock:

Now I thought the new generation of engines were suppose to be more efficient and the new design lighter than the previous model, which is suppose to help in better economy?? has anyone got any comments on the above?

I was intending to test drive the 1.0 and 1.4T but if these figures are correct then I think I will need to have a serious think about what car to purchase next.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I currently have the 1.4(100) in a Corsa and the spec sheets show the MPG to be identical between the two, so I've gone for the 1.4(150) but like you say, the rumblings are that the MPG is much lower then it should. In my current Corsa, I am lucky to get 43-44MPG with a lot of motorway/out of town driving.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Razormatt said:
I have had it up to around 40mpg but was driving like miss daisy :mrgreen:
yeah but I dont hang around and I still got more out of the J....I know its early days with the new model but everyone use to slate the J for poor economy saying it was too heavy for the engines...so whats the excuse this time round !

·
Registered
495 Posts
Most of my driving is town driving with a little motorway hence I changed my diesel gtc for this plus as you say it early days have only done around1200 miles so engine still tight

·
Registered
106 Posts
How many people contributed to the figures? If it's only a few then the results may not be that accurate. Also as pointed out this is based on cars that are new with tight engines. Given time and more data being in putted and things may well look better.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'm currently getting around 45mpg shown on my 1.0 (43mpg from my own calculations) on this tank. This has just been on my commute which is 2 miles straight back road (50-60mph), 9 miles single carriageway A road (40-60mph) and 1 mile in town. Total journey takes me about 20 minutes. The car has covered 3400 miles now. This is driving steadily, with the tyres pumped up to 39psi and the aircon off. I used to return the same figures from a 2001 MIni Cooper 1.6.

This is an interesting read http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/official-fuel-consumption-figures.html

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1900sr said:
I'm currently getting around 45mpg shown on my 1.0 (43mpg from my own calculations) on this tank. This has just been on my commute which is 2 miles straight back road (50-60mph), 9 miles single carriageway A road (40-60mph) and 1 mile in town. Total journey takes me about 20 minutes. The car has covered 3400 miles now. This is driving steadily, with the tyres pumped up to 39psi and the aircon off. I used to return the same figures from a 2001 MIni Cooper 1.6.

This is an interesting read http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/official-fuel-consumption-figures.html
At least you are in the 40's but I bet it wouldnt like been sat at 80mph for a 300 mile journey...I think I will be looking at a civic 1.6idtec after all

·
Registered
573 Posts
My consumption is also way more then the stated 5.1ltr per 100km... even though i use cruise control as much as i can and dont drive in the city too much

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yeah, that is true. According to GM mine should cober around 760 miles on a full tank. Even immediately after filling the tank to the brim, the car is showing the range of 550-570 miles, out of which I ussually do around 450. But I never go too much into red reserve level, as I heard it's not very healthy for diesel pumps, so I've got around 50-70 miles of range left. Still doesn't add up to 550 miles. On the other hand for now I do only short distances of up to 8 miles and I tend to sit in the car on my breaks in work with engine running for 30-40 mjnutes, and I guess that does not contribute to increased fuel efficiency.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts