Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Has anyone experienced a front RHS (Driver's side) cloncking noise. I've had this niggling noise since I bought the car. It is evident between speeds of 10 to 20 mph only.
My local garage spent nearly one hour trying to figure it out. No luck. Now they want the car for a whole day next Tuesday and I'm dreading that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
can you record the noise on a video clip on your fone ?

being as its a relatively new car and unless youve whacked a kerb hard i doubt its anything serious but hard to guess over internet from clonking descriptor

·
Registered
145 Posts
An option we recommend at our dealership for faults like this is a 'Waiting' appointment where you go out on a test drive with a technician.

That way when you hear the noise you can point it out to the technician. This helps them to identify what noise it is you're hearing that is a problem for you.

The more information you can provide to the dealer the better. Does it happen when you're changing gear or at random? Are you going over speed bumps or just setting off? Where is the noise coming from - the drivers side door, window, wheel, or engine area? Are you braking when the noise is heard?

All of this information will help the dealer locate the fault. It's a new model and so technicians will not be 100% aware of known issues yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Help Again,
This niggling and rattling noise still there.
Has anyone experienced this rattling noise from the front right. You might think it's a rattling diesel engine noise, but this is not the case as it is obvious at slow speed of up to 30 km/h. I even let the car roll and switched off the engine to see if the noise is there, Unfortunately it persists.
Dealer has been unsuccessful after two attempts.
Thanks for any helpful feedback.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same noise, and have had it since i got the car from new. It has gone back three times to Vauxhall, for a week at a time, and it still persists. They cant find anything, so it is going back in again.
It sounds like suspension/shock absorber/chassis/engine mounts, as it's worse when on rough roads, but they cant find the problem...they said when cars are new, they log all reports and then get a car as a 'tester' and then do a product recall, so keep contacting them, hopefully they'll sort it sooner rather than later...

I also have rattling door trims, whistling air con when turned on, and metallic rattle when accelerating when the engine is cold first thing (until the nights got warmer) - the rattle they are aware of as a bigger issue, apparently...

If anyone finds the solution, or has the same problems, would be interesting to hear please!

(I have astra elite nav auto)

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem still persists, and after 8300 km, it is getting worse. It sounds like a rattling pulley of some sort. I mentioned ot to the garage, and said it is nothing like that. They insisted that after three attempts the problem is fixed, but the noise is there and now its worse. I'll be sending the car back to them next week, if they don't sort it out, I think I'll return it to them with a big thank you for the option I didn't order.

·
Registered
770 Posts
astraelite said:
metallic rattle when accelerating when the engine is cold first thing (until the nights got warmer) - the rattle they are aware of as a bigger issue, apparently...
I've heard the strange exhaust rattle when the engine's cold but it soon disappears and the exhaust ticks loudly when the car's switched off - but what do you mean by "aware of as a bigger issue, apparently"? :?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Same problem with mine on a cobbled road at over 10 mph sounds like a bag of marbles rattling under the dash, thought it might be suspension chatter, looked everywhere but I cant find the cause seems to be a common problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,
I am not Sure if it's the same rattle noise i had experienced but here it comes:
From the beginning i heart a rattle noise from the front right, an Opel engineer Also noticed it and it was only there while accelerating With Refs between 1500 and 2700 rpm. ( it sounds like a diesel rausch/rattle)
He tought it was the air intake box and placed a rubber piece between the airfilter box and the chassis, no luck.
After Some research i found that the plastic strip above the radiator was vibrating and i pulled it from it's connections and placed it back under tension with the chassis. Now the sound has been gone!!
Regards, Patrick

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had an horrendous rattle develop on my SRi 1.4 which turned out to be one of the metal plates under the engine working itself slightly loose. It was easy to find and to fix, so I doubt this is your problem but may be worth checking.

You can see the two plates clearly if you lay on the ground beside the car and look under the engine. Take care if the engine has been running as they may be very hot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Patrickm said:
Hello all,
I am not Sure if it's the same rattle noise i had experienced but here it comes:
From the beginning i heart a rattle noise from the front right, an Opel engineer Also noticed it and it was only there while accelerating With Refs between 1500 and 2700 rpm. ( it sounds like a diesel rausch/rattle)
He tought it was the air intake box and placed a rubber piece between the airfilter box and the chassis, no luck.
After Some research i found that the plastic strip above the radiator was vibrating and i pulled it from it's connections and placed it back under tension with the chassis. Now the sound has been gone!!
Regards, Patrick
I have a rattling noise (like a mug of coins under IP) coming when I am accelerating slowly (pedal how way pressed). it comes in between 1300 to 1500 rpm - anyone experiencing this? I gave the car back to dealership for two days and they couldnt find what was causing it.

@Patrickm

can you send some pictures what have you done ?

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know if it make Some sense but on the image you can see the black plastic coverage above the radiator, i pushed it (seen from above) a little With the result that its under tension With the front chassis.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To be honest, car looks great, drives superbly, but is not worth the money spent to buy it.
Too many niggles, and I think Vauxhall / Opel should up their game with these niggling issues.
Rattles,
Soundproofing,
Electrics,
Otherwise you have a winning car.
Sorry to say I no longer have the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem on my ST Elite Nav Auto. The clunking sound seems to be coming from the front drivers side. It is worse at lower speeds over uneven surfaces. It has been there since new, four months ago. When I first reported the problem, I was asked to give the car a chance to settle down, as this kind of problem usually sorts itself out. Not only has it not improved, but I am now getting other annoying rattles from door pillars, rear cargo area etc.
I had the previous Astra Elite before this car. I had it from new, and never had any of these problems. In my opinion that car was far better as far as build quality is concerned. These sort of niggles spoil an otherwise very good car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts