Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elite 1.4 T 16 plate power Red
Hello my friends,
There must be a way were one of you technical members out there can tell how to get the electric mirrors to close off the remote key and reopen off the key all other cars I see seem to do this, It is very bad when you get back in the car and forget to press the button to put them back out it as happened to me a few times when I have been going to overtake and gone to look in the mirror only to find them closed .

Regards Erica.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've recently ordered a new Astra and specified the Parking Pack, which includes Blind Spot Alert. The current Price/Specification guide for the Parking Pack states:
Side blind spot alert:
Side blind spot alert helps prevent potential collisions with other vehicles 'hidden' in the vehicle's side blind spots. If a vehicle enters one of
the blind spots a warning light illuminates in the relevant door mirror.
• Ultrasonic side sensors with three-metre range • LED warning light in door mirrors
• Audible warning is sounded if the indicators are used and the system has detected another vehicle
Automatic folding door mirrors fitted as standard

Hopefully I'm going to get auto fold when locking/unlocking the car.

Can any owner with Blind Spot Alert confirm whether or not they have this feature?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Jeff16150 said:
Automatic folding door mirrors fitted as standard

Hopefully I'm going to get auto fold when locking/unlocking the car.

Can any owner with Blind Spot Alert confirm whether or not they have this feature?
Hi

Unless they have updated it since I got my car then you are not going to get auto folding mirrors.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
32 Posts
This question has been asked in the past and is the content of an old thread. As Cornishtaz says the owners manual is printed incorrectly to state "auto folding mirrors," cos they aint!

What I find worrying Erica is that you don't notice your mirrors are still folded until you go to overtake. Is that the only time you use your mirrors? Surely when you first get in the car to pull away you should be checking in your mirrors before pulling away. If I have left my mirrors folded in I have yet to drive off with them still closed as checking in your mirrors is a vital piece of driving safely.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I found that a worry as well! Especially been a biker and had people go to overtake without checking there mirrors. I have seen people driving with there mirrors tucked in though and if I'm passing on the bike I will grab the offside one and fold it back out for you. ;)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
cornishtaz said:
This is not a feature on any Astra and is a printing error on the Vauxhall spec site and user manual
Fully agree! I have 'blind spot' alert, but my mirrors certainly don't auto fold - very frustrating! :( :x

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did anyone sniff CAN network to see what messages are there, related to mirrors?

I'm thinking about small module that would read information from CAN network about alarm activation/deactivation and that would drive mirrors button. That should work nicely. There is other problem though - we don't know what is state of mirrors at particular point :-/ Maybe that info is also visible on CAN network.

(the module should be easy, arduino+can shield or pyboard with micropython, if information is there on CAN)

·
Registered
391 Posts
I took the issue of automatic folding door mirrors up with Vauxhall Customer Assistance and it has taken 10 days to get a definitive response and then only after I threatened to take this up with the Advertising Standards Authority as the advertising is clearly misleading.
I've copied below the response from the Customer Service Manager:

[email protected]
08:56 (17 minutes ago)
to me
Service Request Number: 489214-1213292307
Date: 19th May 2016.
Dear Mr Stanton,
Thank you for your email dated the 16th May 2016.
Firstly, I would like to apologise for the time taken for a response to reach you.
I have investigated this matter with the Vauxhall Astra K Brand Manager. They have advised that there is an error in the wording on Page 9 of the Price/Specification Guide in relation to the Parking Pack.
This section should read "Electric Folding Door Mirrors fitted as standard" and not "Automatic Folding Door Mirrors fitted as standard". I have been advised that this option is not available for your model of vehicle.
I understand that you may feel you were mis-sold the vehicle. If you wish to reject the vehicle on this basis, you would need to contact your Selling Dealership to discuss further. I do apologise and I have been informed that this section will be amended shortly.
I do hope these answer your questions.
Yours Sincerely,
Michael Wood
Customer Service Manager.

It really does make you wonder why a car that has so much advanced technology on board does not have automatic folding door mirrors even on top spec models, something that has been around for donkeys years, especially as a module that supposedly achieves this is available on eBay for as little as £6.59 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191605297838?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. Don't think I would risk invalidating the warranty by fitting this module though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I get it why some people are upset about the car not having automated folding mirrors but for me this is a non-issue.

In the winter I'm usually not folding my mirrors because of the ice although I'm sure that cars that have the automated thing are able to turn it off.

For my Astra J the mirror folding comes by instinct. Like turning off/on the ignition or taking off/putting on the parking break. I'm sure most of you will do it by muscle memory in no time :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Jeff16150 said:

especially as a module that supposedly achieves this is available on eBay for as little as £6.59 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191605297838?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. Don't think I would risk invalidating the warranty by fitting this module though.
Looks interesting, need a guinea pig to try it out!

I'd be worried about this line in the ad though - "The system can unfold the side mirror automatically when opening the door before igniting the car"

LOL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts