Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the nature of my job I have strangers driving my car all day and so I bought a set of car seat covers to protect the upholstery. They require that I remove the head rests to install them but I can't figure out how to, any ideas please?

·
Registered
856 Posts
oldskool said:
iirc theres a button on the side of the headrest to allow them to move - never tried taking mine completely off though so not sure if the button allows that
Hi

It did in my old Astra.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have coat hangers on my headrests. My dealership told me they dont come off anymore. They are only height adjustable. They believe its down to some safety thing. They used to be able to come off as they had a small button u used to press in. It was difficult but manageable. I have shopping bag hooks that i cant use now because the headrests dont come off. Thankfully i could use my hangers.

·
Registered
798 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks astramaster, you manage to find 3 different explanations and yet I'm not confident of any of them lol. Also I read fitting car seats can cause issues with airbag deployment so may be unsafe.
I just want to protect my new car seats from my kids food disasters and my students. Why is it so complicated?

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Proph said:
I just want to protect my new car seats from my kids food disasters and my students. Why is it so complicated?
You could try a fabric protection spray. That is what I used in my current car on the carpets and also the cloth part of the seats. It seemed to stop the dirt from getting ingrained and most marks just wiped off.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys will look into both options.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I would like to be associated with the remarks of my learned friend, Mr drey_p.

"Some safety thing" - yup, GM would like you NOT fiddle with the safety systems of your car. If you really really need to do it i'd recommend a chat with your friendly VX dealership.

·
Registered
331 Posts
SwissTJ said:
I would like to be associated with the remarks of my learned friend, Mr drey_p.
Thanks SwissTJ!

Proph - we've just ordered a number of cans of Diamondbrite fabric protector from Fleabay. I've used it in my current car and also when we got new dining room chairs. The trick is not to over saturate the fabric it to dry for about 20 - 30 minutes and then do another coating. 2 - 3 coats is usually enough to give good protection and make sure you've not missed any bits. You could then top it up every few months. It definitely does work and things do stay cleaner for longer.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks, I'll check it out, my last car had diamondbrite interior and paintwork protection, I bought it as an ad on at time of sale but opted out of buying anything from the dealership this time as when I rang the company to ask if they would redo it if I had damage to a panel they said no so I felt robed. I'll look it up on the bay though. Cheers

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you want to put any protection like Diamondbrite or LIfeShine onto your car, you can get the kits from Fleabay and do it yourself. It'll get you the same protection but without the guarantees that the manufacturers give you.

I can definitely vouch for the Diamondbrite fabric protection - it does work. I've not tried other brands like Scotchgard so can't give you a comparison.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.