Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked my 1.0 SRi up yesterday, and pretty impressed so far. I put about 300 miles on it yesterday. I found the standard seats to be comfortable, I do suffer from a bad back but no problems yet with the Astra. Even though it's only the little engine it does seem to go well enough for me, I had a Citroen C5 2.2HDi last and this pulls better than that (it may well have had a problem though), and seems on a par with my wife's Megane III 1.5DCi.

I love the stereo, at least since I got the iPod working through it on random play. I don't think it liked my poundshop lead so I stole the wife's genuine one.

I've managed to catch the stop/start out a couple of times where it's just switched off as I go to dip the clutch again so it's not restarted, not sure if this is normal or a glitch on my car, and the fairly small speedo is taking some getting used to.

The lane departure warning will take a bit of getting used to, must remember to always indicate when changing lanes.

Fuel economy is not great at the moment, it seemed to average 48mpg according to the onboard computer yesterday, hopefully this will improve as it all beds in. I also think I've maybe got a problem with either the fuel gauge or tank, as I've topped the tank up twice yesterday and it doesn't read anywhere near full. I've now downloaded the Onstar app to my phone so next time we'll see how much fuel it thinks it's got onboard. I also think I may have a slightly binding caliper, which could help explain the fuel economy. Certainly last night while moving very slowly in a couple of traffic queues there was a telltale squeak which I'm pretty certain was coming from my car, so something else to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sorry you have a few minor niggles but I'm sure they will get worked out

How did you go about registering for the on star as I already have the my Vauxhall app on my phone and have managed to add my new Astra to it use the vin number but doesn't say anywhere about registering for on star or am I being Impatient And have to wait till I get the new car to do something

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had an email from Onstar saying my new vehicle was ready and giving me the link to set it up. The dealer then sent me an email asking me to make sure I registered it. I'd be tempted to do it as close to your pick up date as possible, I did mine a week before I collected it which means I've lost 7 days of free service. I did get a nice diagnostics report telling me the car had no faults last week though.

With regards to the niggles I did expect a few as it's one of the first of a brand new model. I'm sure the dealer will sort them as and when I let them know there's a problem.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like I was wrong about the sticking caliper, not had any symptoms since. Fuel gauge is still iffy though. Filled up again tonight and it's still only reading 7/8 full. The Onstar told me I had 10 gallons of fuel after I got home (12 miles), 85%. This seems strange as the tank is 48 litres which is 10.5 gallons, so 85% would be just under 9 gallons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Haven't filled mine up yet so cant help there. Notice My brakes are very rough and sometimes squeaky at the moment. I can't leave the sport button turned off in my 1.4 turbo as it goes like stink and is so much fun when enabled but averages only 26mpg! Although that's town driving Which is horrendous to see after the insignia diesel i had did 1000 miles to a tank!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Taking it in this morning to have the gauge looked at. 26mpg is horrendous, you must have a really heavy right foot!
I'm running with the sport button off, but the steering feels so much better with it on. I'm not sure with normal driving if it should effect the economy, maybe something else to ask at the dealers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quick point of reference for you 1900sr:

I work for a Vauxhall Dealer in the Midlands and bought a 1.4 Turbo Astra K on the 12th of November. 450 miles on it currently. Regarding OnStar and fuel levels I would treat it with a pinch of salt currently. I filled my tank to full and drove the 2 miles home. The OnStar app on my phone still reported only 85% fuel level despite the top-up. I'm not sure if it's a software issue with the app/website (most likely) or the sensors on the car. If you're using the phone app sometimes it fails to update correctly. As it's new tech I fully expect Vauxhall to address this in time but I wouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions and declare a fault with the car itself. At this stage the dealers simply do not have the ability to respond to OnStar related issues/faults like this and will have to raise a case directly with Vauxhall for technical support.

If the app is reporting incorrectly I would instead refer to the car display to see the actual reported levels of fuel and mpg. Additionally I would recommend resetting the trip computer if you haven't done so yet from when you received the vehicle from the dealership. Then ensure you give the vehicle a good decent drive on a route you know well on 2-3 occasions and see if that value improves. If it stays the same then it indeed might be worth a trip to the dealer and report your findings.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply. The dealer hooked it up to the computer which said no fault. They asked me to keep an eye on it and keep a log of fuel fills.

The fuel gauge on the car won't read full. I did brim the car on Monday night and the Onstar app reported 48 litres, although it said 91%. The gauge on the car read halfway between 7/8 and full. I've emailed my dealer and they are going to talk to Vauxhall technical. I'm wondering if the software thinks the tank is bigger than it really is, hence the fuel gauge and Onstar reading incorrectly. The car display doesn't display amount of fuel I don't think, only miles remaining.

By the way, the 26mpg was w001h34d, I'm managing mid 40s at the moment according to the car display. I'm hoping that will start to improve as the car is now coming up to 1000 miles.

Also found out the stop/start issue wasn't anything. I didn't realise that if you've got it in neutral with your foot on the brake it will only restart when you take your foot off the brakes. Reading the book always helps....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did the dealer definitely hook the machine up to the diagnostic computer/laptop? If they carried out a fault code readout (vehicle wide diagnostics) it may be worth a trip back in to ensure they've carried out the latest software update on the car. Some ECU's on the Astra K have been found to not go back in to sleep mode after diagnostic work. This slowly slowly drains the battery over a period of time and is a known concern with this model. Eventually you wake up one morning with a dead battery - not because of the cold weather!

The remedy is easily carried out by any Vauxhall dealer but requires them to carry out a software update on your vehicle. They may very well have performed it without telling you but might be worth a call/check! :) Also it might be that your Astra K is not one of the affected vehicles.

Regarding the fuel gauge issue I think you might be right there. If both you and I are brimming the tank and it's under-reporting the fuel on the app that tells me the same as you. The app/software thinks the car has a bigger tank than it actually does. I will raise a technical case tomorrow at work and see if they have had any other reports of this. If they haven't we might be the first as the Astra K is still in the early stages of reporting any known concerns. It's certainly worth raising it with your dealer if it concerns you. This will help improve service for yourself and other customers.

OnStar is in very early stages in Europe but Vauxhall/Opel/GM are going to be releasing rapid updates for it in coming months which will see the app improve and the way it operates with the vehicle software. We're still at the foundation stages currently but all I will say is it has a few teething problems but both it & the Astra K are one of the best things Vauxhall have done in a long time. This is from a staff member point of view but also a personal customer point of view. It's a fantastic car all across the range and I sincerely hope it does well as it's just a quality car.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I brimmed mine early and the app is spot on think I need to check the tyre pressures as the app recommends 32 and mine are 38 psi which is what the dealer set them too

Attachments

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's an eco pressure for the tyres which on mine I think is 39psi, and you can set this on the display screen in the car. Looks like your dealer has inflated to eco spec and left the car set to comfort.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well changed the car display to Eco but still the app say recommend 32 psi also to let you know I only did 12 miles in the car today and that was only around the town and the app has gone from saying full to 90% so now my car is either doing terrible mpg or I too have an app problem as it says I have 10 gallons left which by my maths it should still be almost full

I know this is new tech so hopefully there will be an update soon which fingers crossed can be done remotely

Attachments

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Set my car to the eco tyre setting this morning, and it told me that both my rears were under-inflated (still running as I picked it up, so fronts are 34psi and rears 32 approx.). The app also reported two flat tyres, but still told me that 32psi was recommended.

·
Registered
24 Posts
to be honest I think I will use on star info as a guide I pick my car up tues and for the the last time it was builr in Poland very happy was originally told delivery around 21st dec

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you know the VIN number of your car you can find out where it was built. Mine is WOLBF6EAXG8******

The last 6 digits which I've starred are the unique serial number if you like. The 8 tells me it was built in Ellesmere Port. If that had been a G there then it would have been Gliwice. As you can see on my VIn the character before the 8 is a G, which in this case is the model year (2016). I wonder if someone has seen the G there on your VIN and thought it was the factory identifier for Gliwice?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have checked my vin and it confirms it was built in Poland my dealer told me again today it was built in Poland and I do know how to read a vin code

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
onstar235 said:
I have checked my vin and it confirms it was built in Poland my dealer told me again today it was built in Poland and I do know how to read a vin code
Oh, OK. If Vauxhall are building cars in Poland for the UK I wonder how that stands with Advertising Standards?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts