Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Hello and welcome. Great first car! Here is the info on the driver's assistance pack from Vauxhall's website. I have it on my SRi and I like it:

Driver assistance system

Vauxhall's front camera system, standard on SRi models and optional on others, includes smart features like traffic sign recognition, following-distance indicator, forward collision alert and an active lane-keep assist indicator.

Traffic sign recognition: This system displays speed limits and other traffic signs and even recognizes temporary electronic signs.

Following distance indication: Measures the distance to the car in front and warns you via the central display screen if the distance becomes critical.

Forward collision alert: The system warns you audibly and visually. If a head-on collision threatens, a visual warning is projected onto the windscreen and shown in the instrument cluster. Up to a speed of 37mph, the system will start braking automatically.

Active lane-keep assist: Warns and provides gentle steering-wheel pushback if you drift out of your lane.

·
Registered
325 Posts
oldskool said:
just blip the revs and it releases - no need to move a hand towards the handbrake button or anything so old fashioned :)
Can you explain what does it mean "just blip the revs"? :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
up to you buddy tbh , if you wanna depress the brake pedal and move your arm down to the button every time thats fine , i just find it easier to move my foot like 3 mm down on the accelerator pedal for an instant as my foot is usually in that area anyway :)

each to their own and all that :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Electric handbrake sounds good but if, like us, you drive two cars, one with an electric handbrake and one with standard handbrake I suspect it's only a matter of time before one of us destroys one, if not both cars...

·
Registered
60 Posts
UKtekkie said:
Electric handbrake sounds good but if, like us, you drive two cars, one with an electric handbrake and one with standard handbrake I suspect it's only a matter of time before one of us destroys one, if not both cars...
Not a problem at all.
The wife's Audi A4 has EPB, my previous Astra J didn't have it. None of us hade any issues with that.
Now I ordered with leather and got the EPB in my K (would have added it separately otherwise) to get the better storage box with cover.

You need to abuse a car and clutch heavily to damage it on a stand-still, and if you still manage to do that then you should think about quitting driving if the reason is that you don't see the parking brake :roll:

The EPB on the Astra K works great, I release it by pushing the accelerator slightly. Nice and easy, without the car moving at all.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Figgz said:
UKtekkie said:
Not a problem at all.
The wife's Audi A4 has EPB, my previous Astra J didn't have it. None of us hade any issues with that.
Now I ordered with leather and got the EPB in my K (would have added it separately otherwise) to get the better storage box with cover.

You need to abuse a car and clutch heavily to damage it on a stand-still, and if you still manage to do that then you should think about quitting driving if the reason is that you don't see the parking brake :roll:

The EPB on the Astra K works great, I release it by pushing the accelerator slightly. Nice and easy, without the car moving at all.
ive also got a shogun which has a traditional handbrake and i have no difficulty remembering which car im in or which way to use the handbrake

figgz nice to see others also release the handbrake by blipping the revs - thought i couldnt be the only one who found that way easiest ! :)

NB - only issue i have with astra epb is that i live and park on a hill and on cold starts the handbrake has released itself when the revs start higher then normal frequently causing the car to start rolling downhill - now im aware of it its not a problem as i cover the brake but i do think the software needs a tweek imo

·
Registered
107 Posts
Quick question about the EPB - is there any mechanism to turn it on if you forget when you park the car? I once hired a zafira for work that had EPB and had an awful feeling that I'd forgotten when I left the car to be collected.

If not, I guess it's just one of those things that I'll have to adjust to :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
curtisjk said:
Quick question about the EPB - is there any mechanism to turn it on if you forget when you park the car? I once hired a zafira for work that had EPB and had an awful feeling that I'd forgotten when I left the car to be collected.

If not, I guess it's just one of those things that I'll have to adjust to :)
no not afaik - 99.9 percent sure there isnt a way to remotely control the handbrake

·
Registered
60 Posts
oldskool said:
NB - only issue i have with astra epb is that i live and park on a hill and on cold starts the handbrake has released itself when the revs start higher then normal frequently causing the car to start rolling downhill - now im aware of it its not a problem as i cover the brake but i do think the software needs a tweek imo
Just a guess, but I think the EPB is not released by the rev's but the combination of revs and clutch, so start the car in neutral and you won't have that issue.

·
Registered
411 Posts
^^^^ WHAT HE SAID

Brake only releases when the clutch is moved off the floor and revs are increased - either action on its own will not release the brake, has to be both. i.e. lift clutch, no revs, brake stays on. Clutch in, revs increase, brake stays on.
Easiest way to disengage it is to simply drive away as you normally would.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Figgz said:
oldskool said:
Just a guess, but I think the EPB is not released by the rev's but the combination of revs and clutch, so start the car in neutral and you won't have that issue.
yup that sound correct but as i always leave it in first or reverse when parked on a hill its natural just to jump in in the morning press the clutch and turn the key - but yes putting it in neutral when starting would maybe work

thanks for input Swisstj - again im sure you are correct but in practce maybe only a few mm of clutch movement upwards is required to allow the epb to release which is easy to do even though you still have your foot on the clutch albeit not buried in the carpet - guessing the pedal is sensitive to tiny movements as my astra ticks over at approx 750 revs for example when the clutch is positively pressed down at full travel but if you let it up a few millimetres the revs rise to approx 1000 rpm - id be interested to hear if other diesel owners find this to confirm its normal - when i got the car initially it seemed odd that sitting at lights the revs would vary between the two speeds at idle until i realised the tiniest movement on the clutch pedal was the difference which i presume is normal - if the clutch is supposed to move more then this before things happen with epb and revs etc then maybe it would explain some of the unexpected handbrake releases

1 - 20 of 25 Posts