Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested to hear from those who have the Driving Assistance Pack one what they think of it. Is it useful? Or do you find it distracting?

I guess what I'm after is it worth paying for as an option on an Elite model (list at £565).

Those with SRIs get this included so what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I've got it, and I'm not totally convinced by it. I think the lane departure warning could be useful if driving late at night, but I run with it turned off most of the time. I do like getting the speed signs up in the display, but it's not totally accurate. The collision avoidance annoys me a bit as well, although it may prove it's worth if it does prevent me rear ending someone, but at the moment it just seems to warn me there's something on the other side of the road on a bend. However, on the SRi I think it helps contribute (alongside Onstar) to a low insurance group (the SRi has the lowest insurance group in 1.0 form of any of the trim levels)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I quite like it.

Lane assistance is really good if driving at night in heavy rain!

Collision alerts do focus your attention on what is happening in front of you, and you can turn the sensitivity down if you want.

You also get some additional screens which give info on fuel economy on the driver display.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I wasn't so impressed with it as, like 1900sr's observation of "it just seems to warn me there's something on the other side of the road on a bend" was exactly what I was experiencing. I turned the sensitivity down to its lowest setting and it's much better now. If it helps avoid accidents though then that's got to be a good thing!
Also, as has been mentioned, the SRi seems to have noticeably lower insurance groups than other trims with the same power engine so maybe the standard fit collision detection helps towards that?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I really like it, definitely nice addition but I've not found the lane assist to be active as yet, but sure if I have it enabled but I've been through the settings and don't see one to enable/disable it.

G

·
Proph said:
I really like it, definitely nice addition but I've not found the lane assist to be active as yet, but sure if I have it enabled but I've been through the settings and don't see one to enable/disable it.
There should be a button for it by the gear lever.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Oh yeah... Duh, the light on means it's on right?
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
1900sr said:
I've got it, and I'm not totally convinced by it. I think the lane departure warning could be useful if driving late at night, but I run with it turned off most of the time. I do like getting the speed signs up in the display, but it's not totally accurate. The collision avoidance annoys me a bit as well, although it may prove it's worth if it does prevent me rear ending someone, but at the moment it just seems to warn me there's something on the other side of the road on a bend. However, on the SRi I think it helps contribute (alongside Onstar) to a low insurance group (the SRi has the lowest insurance group in 1.0 form of any of the trim levels)
You can turn the sensitivity down. I found myself with the same problem. Gives you three different levels of, what I presume, is distance relatability. I've got it at the lowest setting and it's not went off since then. But definitely good to have active for lapses of concentration!

G

·
Proph said:
Oh yeah... Duh, the light on means it's on right?
Thanks
Haha no worries. Yeah I believe so. I tested it on a dual carriageway a couple of times on my test drive and it kicked the steering wheel back over just as I was about to cross the line. Once I turned it off then the steering loosened up a bit.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Both of your requests would need major surgery as the car is build either with or without these options. it would probably be prohibitively expensive to attempt such mods. Sorry

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I find it only good when your on the motorway or dual carriage way where u can sort of take your hands of the wheel it kinda steers by itself but wouldn't trust it completely. And if you don't indicate on the motorway that when it kicks in slight pushback and if your not concentration that handy providing the road marking are clear on the road. And sign are clear ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I love it. I really like the flashing cars in the wing mirror. It's really useful. The lane drift thing is great too, but gets a bit of getting used to as it kept pulling me back when I hadn't bothered to signal - has improved my signalling no end.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
albany said:
Hope it doesn't do that when overtaking.
If you signal to pull out and back in it's fine, if you don't it will try and nudge you back into lane, but you can steer through it. Or you can turn it off.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Overall, I'm pretty happy with the Driving Assistance Pack. The lane departure warning is good. I have it switched off unless I'm driving at night, as someone else has mentioned. You have to get used to 'fighting' the steering wheel unless you signal :eek: The collision warning I initially thought was annoying, now I've got used to it, in fact, I'm a convert, especially now I have the sensitivity turned down to the lowest level. Not sure if it's also part of the pack or standard on all versions, but I'm a huge fan of the blind spot warnings in the wing mirrors.

When I was driving an awful hire car on holiday in Italy recently (Fiat Panda) and when I drive my partner's car (she's got a Fiesta Zetec), it's amazing how much you get used to all this kit on your own car and even, dare I say it, how much you begin to rely upon it!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Blind spot alert is part of the Parking Pack, not Driving Assistance Pack

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Anupanu said:
Blind spot alert is part of the Parking Pack, not Driving Assistance Pack
Chris (in his post above) also implied that it was part of the Driving Pack.

It's main function, surely, is to prevent you pulling out in to another lane on a motorway when being overtaken (ie, while driving)? Thus, intuitively, it should be a component of the Driving Pack.

However, if you wish to be pedantic, we stand corrected.

In respect of this, you're confusing me with someone who gives a sh*t!. It's a very useful feature whatever 'Pack' it's assigned to!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Well, it's a good job you didn't go to your dealer to order the Driving assistance pack thinking you would get blind spot alert because you thought it a good feature but couldn't give a sh*t to find out which pack it was in and no one on a helpful forum had the good grace to put you straight.
Thank God someone did...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.