Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Model Year. ACC needs radar to work properly. You can forget about upgrade on older models, as everything else works from the camera. Since the J had optional acc, i would guess the system in the K didn't work properly, so it was postponed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Doesn't the K have a radar, because it can tell how many seconds the follow distance between you and the next car is? Doesn't it already have all the components needed for acc, is it just that the software has been crippled and acc has been disabled?

·
Registered
856 Posts
otj said:
Doesn't the K have a radar, because it can tell how many seconds the follow distance between you and the next car is? Doesn't it already have all the components needed for acc, is it just that the software has been crippled and acc has been disabled?
Hi

It uses the camera to detect the vehicle in front no radar as far as I am aware.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It must have radar for emergency braking,myou cant measure distance acuratly with a camera, the latter must be used for sign recognition and lane change.
Too bad it doesnt have acc; it would be a killer option for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Everything works from the camera. Emergency braking works only at low city speeds and collision alert only at higher speeds. It wont work if snow covers the camera and in foggy conditions. It's usability is very limited in reality. For me to be really useful, emergency braking should work in most dangerous situations, which is bad weather conditions on highway and multi-vehicle collision because of fog, heavy rain and you cant see it in time.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mondy said:
... Since the J had optional acc, i would guess the system in the K didn't work properly, so it was postponed.
As far as I'm aware, the Astra J never had ACC, and to suggest that a non-existent system 'didn't work properly' is a bit of a stretch.

For me to be really useful, emergency braking should work in most dangerous situations, which is bad weather conditions on highway and multi-vehicle collision because of fog, heavy rain and you cant see it in time.
All Vauxhalls come as standard with a system designed for just this situation. In bad weather or where visibility is poor it will slow the car down and leave a safe gap to the cars in front, adjusting the brake and accelerator pedals as required to ensure safe progress. It will even switch on the lights and wipers, and adjust the ventilation to keep the screens clear.

It's called the driver. ;)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
SwissTJ said:
Mondy said:
... Since the J had optional acc, i would guess the system in the K didn't work properly, so it was postponed.
As far as I'm aware, the Astra J never had ACC, and to suggest that a non-existent system 'didn't work properly' is a bit of a stretch.

For me to be really useful, emergency braking should work in most dangerous situations, which is bad weather conditions on highway and multi-vehicle collision because of fog, heavy rain and you cant see it in time.
All Vauxhalls come as standard with a system designed for just this situation. In bad weather or where visibility is poor it will slow the car down and leave a safe gap to the cars in front, adjusting the brake and accelerator pedals as required to ensure safe progress. It will even switch on the lights and wipers, and adjust the ventilation to keep the screens clear.

It's called the driver. ;)
Oh, not another standard Vauxhall feature that doesn't always work the way it should ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Clearly you havent experienced special conditions where you drive in a dense fog and visibility goes from perfect to 0 in just few meters. You cant se 2m in front of your car and so doesnt you camera. Radar suported safety system could see trough fog and warn the driver and brake if needed, opel eye camera is useless as it cant see, the driver cant also see shit. And the driver software is full of bugs. Opel eyes has some functionality, but is more marketing gimmick than anything else. Still better than nothing.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I was being slightly sarcastic, but the main point is valid - drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear. You should leave enough space between you and the vehicle in front so that you can pull up safely if it suddenly slows down or stops.

Electronic systems can help, but you're the one driving the car.

·
Registered
280 Posts
When I first got my car I had to do a motorway drive in horrendous conditions - dark night, no Street lights, torrential rain and standing water on the surface of the road.

I could hardly see in front of the car and had to keep speed down. The road was so wet it was difficult to see the lane markings (in some places you couldn't see them).

However, at all times, the car was still telling me how far I was from the car in front and the lane assist worked perfectly too. I have wondered how it works, but to be honest I don't really care, it just works!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts