Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored with the standard Astra K speedo, and found out the Insignia B digital cluster was a straight fit. Just take some trims off and unscrew two bolts, that's it. Of course it needed some programming to get it working, but everything is fully working now.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most important is to program your car's VIN number to the cluster to get the odometer to work.
Unfortunately Vauxhall/Opel cannot do this, as their software will throw up an error that the unit is not suitable for the Astra.
However, with custom software this is all doable.
When the VIN is programmed you will need to activate and deactivate some functions according to the specs of your car.
For this you need a special cable and special software. I am not a techie so I found someone who did it for me.
You might want to contact EzioAuditore on this forum, he can help you out programming the unit.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Do you by any chance atleast see what the "special software" is called.

I know of no "official" "alternative" software for programming these things so i would guess that the software is probably something they wrote themselves, and as such this will not be a "simple switch and program" job at all.

Did they program the cluster, in the car....Ie, was the "change VIN and functions" something that was done with the cluster in the car or did they have to program it, out of the car, using clips to connect to individual chips or connectors ?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These gauges on the side are analogue, the part within is an 8" digital screen. It is possible to program some more gauges within this screen, such as oil and boost pressure, and battery voltage. But I preferred the cleaner look without all these extra gauges.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
astraowner said:
Do you by ....
I do not know the details or name of the software used, you have to contact the guy I mentioned in my previous post, or send me a PM and I can get you in touch via Facebook.
The programming can be done either in the car via the bcm connector, or on the bench if you send the unit over to his place. Whether it could be done remotely I can't say.

·
Registered
14 Posts
astraowner said:
Do you by any chance atleast see what the "special software" is called.

I know of no "official" "alternative" software for programming these things so i would guess that the software is probably something they wrote themselves, and as such this will not be a "simple switch and program" job at all.

Did they program the cluster, in the car....Ie, was the "change VIN and functions" something that was done with the cluster in the car or did they have to program it, out of the car, using clips to connect to individual chips or connectors ?
I wrote indeed the software myself, programming is all via OBD.
Don't have go to medieval on it luckily :lol:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
EzioAuditore said:
So what functions can the software do.

I was under the impression that variant coding for various modules on the Astra K, was only possible if you have the right VCI's but it seems that you can enable and disable functions without VCI.

Can your software do other things as well.

For example....Enable the reverse camera function on the radio ? Enable and disable other menu items and functions on the display. (For example...setting to enable automatic seat heating for cars with only front heated seats....A guy on here said that his Australian Holden ...Astra K, had this function even though he only has heated front seats)

I bet you could make a bit of money if you could make software that enabled these functions via OBD and sold a kit to do it.

What OBD dongle do you use ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
astraowner said:
EzioAuditore said:

I was under the impression that variant coding for various modules on the Astra K, was only possible if you have the right VCI's but it seems that you can enable and disable functions without VCI.

For example....Enable the reverse camera function on the radio ? Enable and disable other menu items and functions on the display. (For example...setting to enable automatic seat heating for cars with only front heated seats....A guy on here said that his Australian Holden ...Astra K, had this function even though he only has heated front seats)

I bet you could make a bit of money if you could make software that enabled these functions via OBD and sold a kit to do it.

It won't be Tech2 easy (setting something to Present) all of the above is possible through the software I built.
The software I built uses a J2534 device, use an MDI2 myself.
Software is not up for sale

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
EzioAuditore said:
astraowner said:
EzioAuditore said:

It won't be Tech2 easy (setting something to Present) all of the above is possible through the software I built.
I fully understand that you dont want to sell the software, probably more money in keeping it to yourself making money off of it :D

I am glad that you have made it though, because that means that there is hope that someone, with the same talents as you, some day will make a similar software, and release it. I would be happy to pay for a tool like that, and i am not even going to use it for anything but myself.

The main thing is that you have proven that it CAN be done :D

I have an Opcom unit, but the author of that tool has stopped development sadly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
astraowner said:
EzioAuditore said:
astraowner said:

I fully understand that you dont want to sell the software, probably more money in keeping it to yourself making money off of it :D

I am glad that you have made it though, because that means that there is hope that someone, with the same talents as you, some day will make a similar software, and release it. I would be happy to pay for a tool like that, and i am not even going to use it for anything but myself.

The main thing is that you have proven that it CAN be done :D

I have an Opcom unit, but the author of that tool has stopped development sadly.
Well my software will probably get hacked into oblivion and have the same fate as OPCOM, that's why I don't release it any time soon.
There are plans though but need to rebuild the whole suite I've built

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
EzioAuditore said:
Well my software will probably get hacked into oblivion and have the same fate as OPCOM, that's why I don't release it any time soon.
There are plans though but need to rebuild the whole suite I've built
Most likely.

But honestly, Opcom had a pretty bad business plan, the opcom was VERY expensive for the casual guy that just wanted to be able to read error codes from all of the car's modules.

They tried fixing that with the "Opcom basic" that was more affordable, but from what i saw, it failed because most people had bought a cheap china clone by the time the basic version came out.

My guess is that if they had priced the Opcom at about 25% of what they did, they would have sold 10 times as many units and no one would have cared to buy a clone.

Or maybe they should have made it subscriber based...Instead of selling it with a "lifetime free updates" they could have made the unit cheaper and made money little by little with an affordable yearly subscription fee.

It is a lot easier for most people to pay 10% each year for 10 years, than to pay 100% right now.

Also, from my experience the 2017 Opcom version is not cracked per say....There is no version to my knowledge that will work on the China clones for the 2017 software and also the china clones does not have CH-CAN bus, making them less usefull on "newer" cars.

·
Registered
198 Posts
EzioAuditore said:
Why would you tease us like this?? That's very, very mean :lol:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is no psa facelift on the Astra and Insignia, they are still all GM products. The Astra K facelift does have a digital dash, but this would still need coding to work with the pre-facelift as this is a hmi3.0 device. Besides all that you still need coding to you cars specs.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The units both have the very same dimensions and the same mounting points. The fitment is very easy, remove 2 trim peaces first and 2 bolts after, that's it. They both need the same programming, which can either be done before fitting by sending the unit over or after fitting via the BCM connector.

·
Registered
61 Posts
NIGHTCD said:
Hi,,

nice job.. will do this also..
EzioAuditore are you able to assist with the programming online (remote) ?

regards
Either me or EzioAuditore can assist in remotely programming the Insignia IPC in the Astra-K.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts