Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at changing my 13 plate Leon FR 184 TDI and was considering new Astra and really thought with new styling, interior and tech, that the previous heavy depreciation which stopped me buying an Astra in the past would lessen but looking at delivery mileage cars on autotrader with over £4000 reduction for 1.4T Sri and fear nothing has changed and will be worth peanuts in three years.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The problem is that you won't know what the actual depreciation is like unless you wait. The reason being is that cars often depreciate at different rates. So you may find that this particular Astra depreciates slower that is predecessor. I read an article the other day that said that they expect this version to depreciate at a similar rate to the Ford Focus.

If you negotiate a good deal, this will help reduce the amount of depreciation you feel. 0% finance will also help as it isn't costing you to pay off the car.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I got £2750 off list on my new 1.0SRi, so would expect a pre-reg to be cheaper still. I expect the residual values won't be the strongest as the car will sell well so there will be a lot of choice for anyone wanting second hand.

I suppose the fact there are good deals available out there on new cars will mean that the residuals compared to list will be poor, but compared to the price you actually pay maybe not so bad.

The other question is would a similar specced car that won't depreciate as much, still end up costing you more, as it may retain a higher percentage of it's initial value, but cost more to buy in the first place?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I paid just £17,550 - saving more than £5,200 off the list price thanks to £2,000 scrappage allowance, Partner Discount, £250 web voucher, £750 finance allowance (no finance deal) and generous dealer discount. That should help reduce the depreciation. I expect to keep my Astra for 5+ years as I like it so much and got plenty of extras with it.

See the last page of Dealer Discounts thread for details. I added the £250 AGR driver's seat after placing the order.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.