Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my friends,

I have a Elite Navi 1.4 T Power Red. Can any one tell me if they have fitted a Dashboard Camera and if so what make was it and were was it placed in the car and were was the power taken from.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi I have a next Base dash cam fitted just to the left of the rear view mirror, the cable runs top of the window screen over to the passenger side then follows the pillar down to glove box across down along centre console into 12v power socket piece of cake to fit. Just be careful of the curtain side air bag above the passenger's head make sure the cable gos behind and not in front of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi skybluenergy , Thanks for the quick reply I have just looked on Amazon at the range of Next Base which one did you have and have you had any trouble with it, Its a mine filed for the right camera there are so many any advice you can and have given is most welcome.

Kind regards Erica.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Using Xiaomi DVR camera, bought in China (cheap). It's good quality and has wifi capability which makes downloading clips to smartphone a very easy task.

https://dashcamtalk.com/xiaomi-yi-dash-cam/

1 - cable in the slot between roof and roof interrior, there is small slot there
2 - under the pillar cover, near slot where upper and down part of pillar cover touch each other. Easy place to open lower part of pillar "cover"
3 - partially under pillar cover but mostly under rubber seal (xiaomi dvr has thin cable)
4 - under plastic cover, easy to open it there
5 - cable pushed into slot there (without opening or disassembling anything)
6 - left part of that plastic part is keept using some kind of clips which open quite easily, so opened there and pushed cable behind plastic cover
7 - pushed into slot there without disassembling anything

and finally into power socket. The end result is that cable is visible only near camera itself and near power socket. The rest
is hidden and not visible even if you look closely.

(note that there is cable visible on some of these photos; that was BEFORE final cable placement, so look at red lines only)

And now I'm using camera mounted upside down, like this - takes less space:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I received my Astra today and fitted a dash cam into it before seeing this thread. I followed the exact same route as arek, although my camera - Transcend DrivePro 200- is positioned slightly further up the windscreen. Took about ten minutes in total and relatively easy work to undertake.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The model l have is the 402g GPS it has as the name suggests GPS tracking g shock censors have a look at there website for full details. The software program that comes with is easy to use no problems there. The only thing it didn't like was the 32gb memory card might have been dogy card it was a cheap one, put 16gb in and no problems. It also won various awards so that's why I bought it. The play back is faultless picture quality stunning like you say it's a wash with them you get what you pay for.

G

·
arek said:
Using Xiaomi DVR camera, bought in China (cheap). It's good quality and has wifi capability which makes downloading clips to smartphone a very easy task.

https://dashcamtalk.com/xiaomi-yi-dash-cam/

1 - cable in the slot between roof and roof interrior, there is small slot there
2 - under the pillar cover, near slot where upper and down part of pillar cover touch each other. Easy place to open lower part of pillar "cover"
3 - partially under pillar cover but mostly under rubber seal (xiaomi dvr has thin cable)
4 - under plastic cover, easy to open it there
5 - cable pushed into slot there (without opening or disassembling anything)
6 - left part of that plastic part is keept using some kind of clips which open quite easily, so opened there and pushed cable behind plastic cover
7 - pushed into slot there without disassembling anything

and finally into power socket. The end result is that cable is visible only near camera itself and near power socket. The rest
is hidden and not visible even if you look closely.

(note that there is cable visible on some of these photos; that was BEFORE final cable placement, so look at red lines only)

And now I'm using camera mounted upside down, like this - takes less space:

I had a dashcam installed today and the cable has been hidden within the plastic trim behind the rear view mirror like yours in picture one. How did you feed your cable into it? Was the trim easy to remove and was there any intrusion into the built in camera system as I have a slight concern about that?

P.S. question is open to anyone who has done the same thing.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It requires almost no trim removal. Just fold back here and there. I was removing (partially) only one part on right side of main tunnel.

Few more clips to hold the cable would be good it seems:

No removal needed, just slide cable in:

If you look close enough you will see a bit of cable in the corner:

Down the pilar, and down the doors under the gasket:

From the gasket under plastic (fortunately two plastic joins here, so that join is good place to hide a cable):

I removed bottom-right part of plastic and hide cable under it:

Inside gap up to cigarette lighter plug:

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
NeilC said:
Hi all.

Still awaiting delivery of my new motor so not sure how this one would fit,
Looked pretty small & can be fitted upside down and picture rotation.

Your comment s welcome.

Good review of unit using link below.

Mini 0806 Super HD 1296P Dash Cam with GPS (5th release)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-0806-Super-HD-1296P-Dash-Cam-with-GPS-5th-release-/282183725702?hash=item41b375f286:g:eek:pEAAOSwCGVX4BUO

This looks good...looks like it will fit just above the rear view mirror. I have the sri with the front mounted camera so you are limited as to where you can mount the camera discreetly..maybe this is the solution I have been looking for.
When do you take delivery of the car, would be good to see where you fit it. Maybe a couple of photos too??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dealer said some time mid December. Been on order since 2nd week of September, But what some people are saying that there cars have been delivered to the dealership but won't be released until airbag or wiring problems are sorted, but I who knows..

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have the transcend drive pro 220 cost more than some of the cheaper ones but I bought it due to the great night time images and most of my driving is at night so perfect for what I need

·
Registered
36 Posts
Andrew72 said:
Also Camera I have in the back of my car.
I have my camera set to record front and back of my car at the same time.
Where do you suggest I´ll run the wires connecting the front and back camera?

Have just bought a Blackvue DR-590 two channel camera set, want to run the wires from front to rear on my Astra Sports Tourer (new car, the only thing missing is the "stamp" from somebody denting it) but I am not certain where to run the wires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All, Thanks for great advices, however under A pillar trim is located part of a curtain airbag. Dash cam cable in front of the airbag can cause problem during the deployment, please have a look on the picture where a pillar is removed (just needs to be pulled out). I would recommend to install dash cam cables behind curtain airbag where other cables are already installed by OEM...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts