Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my friends,

I have just fitted a NextBase 512G dash cam to my Astra Elite Turbo 1.4 Power Red and it as been hard wired to the Instrument panel fuse box or I should say it is waiting to go into one of the fuse slots one that will go on and off with the key and won't stay on when the car is locked. I am enclosing a photo showing the red wire coming from the dash cam any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Regards. Erica.

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Gadgetgaz
Engine compartment fuse box: The fuse box is in the front left of the engine compartment.
Instrument panel fuse box: (Photograph above) The fuse box is located behind a cover (In the centre stack). Pull the cover and remove. Vehicles with power connector (Flexbar): If the fuse cover has a power connector, it must be removed by using an adapter and a screwdriver. The adapter is stowed in the glovebox.
Load compartment fuse box: The fuse box is located on the left side of the load compartment behind a cover.
Hope this helps. (Pages 230-235 in the February 2016 Owner's manual).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Jeff16150 said:
Gadgetgaz
Instrument panel fuse box: (Photograph above) The fuse box is located behind a cover (In the centre stack). Pull the cover and remove. Vehicles with power connector (Flexbar): If the fuse cover has a power connector, it must be removed by using an adapter and a screwdriver. The adapter is stowed in the glovebox........
Thanks for that. I can't get the power flex bar off and I don't seem to have the adapter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello my Friends,

I asked the question to start with I have got the answer from another sores, The fuse you want for your dash cam is the Rear Window Wiper fuse and that is the green 20amp on the bottom row count 7 up from the bottom it is marked in the Owner's Manual on page 214 as number 31 that fuse comes out and your Dash Cam cable seen at the bottom of the photo is put in it's place and the fuse you took out for the Rear Window Wiper piggy backs the dash cam cable buy putting it in the two small holes seen in the photo this will allow your dash cam to work off the ignition hope this helps anyone wishing to hide the wires and also avid using the cig lighter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I used the tool for the power flex bar to remove the cover. It is VERY tight.
I ran the cable around the window on the driver's side, under the dash above the pedals and then removed the large side panel next to your left foot - it just pulls off. From there you can feed the cable into the back of the fuse box. Behind the large panel is a metal strip about 8" long with two bolts. I loosened one of the bolts and fixed the earth cable under the bolt.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Thinking of getting the same dashcam and been reading up on the specs and it says it has a parking feature so if something happens while your car is parked it'll record the incident.

Can I ask how you've powered your cam so this feature works? Does it need a permanent +ve? or does the cam have a battery backup?

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
You will need a permanent +12v connection to use a dash cam in parking mode. Mine is the Mio Mivue 658 WIFI that has a parking mode but you have to buy the separate power unit called a smart power box and costs about £30 so you'll need to budget for that. It's hard wired into the fusebox.

Looking at acireydal's photo above I used the green 20A fuse on the bottom row 7 from the right for the ignition-switched live and the blue 15A fuse third from the left on the bottom row for the permanent live.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have seen elsewhere there are inputs for a camera/video on the 900 unit and I think (may be reading it wrong) a separate input dedicated to reversing camera. I have read some of your How To's cornishtaz and can see you are quite adept at retro fits, have you not thought about feeding the dash cam display to the 900 head unit?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
nabsim said:
I have seen elsewhere there are inputs for a camera/video on the 900 unit and I think (may be reading it wrong) a separate input dedicated to reversing camera. I have read some of your How To's cornishtaz and can see you are quite adept at retro fits, have you not thought about feeding the dash cam display to the 900 head unit?
I already have the factory reverse camera, but not heard of any other input. Could always plug it into the USB in the armrest.

G

·
Digging this thread back up as I'm getting one installed on Tuesday. What have you folks found to be the best position for the dash cam in the windscreen? The SRi has the big camera module behind the rear view mirror so there's no real way of hiding it behind there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
M1chaelR said:
Digging this thread back up as I'm getting one installed on Tuesday. What have you folks found to be the best position for the dash cam in the windscreen? The SRi has the big camera module behind the rear view mirror so there's no real way of hiding it behind there.
Mine is installed high enough to not be blocking my view through the windscreen but unfortunately part of the module is visible in the shot. Will try to get a good pic of it and a screenshot. It may be visible in my thread on users pics?

Edit: Just visible here. Used a shorter stick on mount than included with the cam, otherwise it would have stuck too far in past the mirror. This one gets it closer to the windscreen.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts