Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

When I'm stationary and turn the wheel it'll creak quite significantly and when coming to a stop (between 5MPH - 0MPH) the noise will also be present.

In recent months I've changed both drop links and both control arms so I can almost rule those out. I jacked both the front wheels up earlier and the noise wasn't present so it's only when the car is sat on it's full weight.

I'll attach 2 videos so you get the idea..

I've been reading up on this issue for the last day or so but got so many contracting answers so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on it for me.. thanks in advance

Video 1

Video 2

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, just an update on this issue.

I’m feeling rather downbeat and defeated at this point. Today I replaced both top mounts, suspension strut and springs in hope that it fixed the issue. It didn’t.

recent months I’ve changed both drop links and wish bones so I’m not sure where to go from here. All noises were leading to top mounts.

I’m fed up of the car now. Noise after noise, creak after creak and rattle after rattle. I wish I stayed with my 2014 2.0 Astra J..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another update -

Im at a loose end on what the issue is so I resulted in taking it to a garage for them to diagnose and to my amazement I get a phone call saying “sorry but we cannot hear any issues, as far as we’re concerned there isn’t any issues.”

Here is a clip I’ve managed to get-

Clip 1

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, just an update on this issue.

I’m feeling rather downbeat and defeated at this point. Today I replaced both top mounts, suspension strut and springs in hope that it fixed the issue. It didn’t.

recent months I’ve changed both drop links and wish bones so I’m not sure where to go from here. All noises were leading to top mounts.

I’m fed up of the car now. Noise after noise, creak after creak and rattle after rattle. I wish I stayed with my 2014 2.0 Astra J..
Sorry I wish I could have replied you earlier, but when I purchased my Astra, a few days later I started to get this noise as though something was tight or rubbing against the steering column, noise would often disappear and come back randomly, it was quite annoying noise, definitely louder at times. So I just had to put up with it and a few days later my power steering went dead, a warning light came up on my dash to drive carefully as there was no power steering, I drove it home with much effort and parking the car in a tight space was a nightmare, steering wheel was extremely hard to turn when power steering fails. Behold a day later all was well again, power steering came back alive and the noise was again heard randomly, then it all went wrong again, this time it was for good, so I bought a used electric power steering rack from eBay costing me £50 and £20 to ship, I took the car to a local garage who charged e only £120 and it took them less than 4 hours to replace, after that my Astra has no longer produced that noise and that used power steering has worked a magic, the Vaux dealers wanted £1000 for a new rack and around £250 for the labour. plus VAT.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Prior to my power steering failing for good, the steering wheel started to shake back and forth a few inches quite rapidly and it sounded like something in my engine had started to rattle, a pretty scary noise, when switched off ignition the engine stopped and noise went, after a brief wait, I restarted the engine but power steering fault lights came on and engine ran smooth and quiet. thank goodness it was not the engine but power steering going through spasm!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts