Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm sure some one mentioned on another post regarding water and condensation in back light but can't find it but has anyone else experience condensation and look of there's water in them and if so what did you do has my garage said it's normal but I've never known q brand new car have condensation in lights

·
Registered
856 Posts
Iharold said:
Hi I'm sure some one mentioned on another post regarding water and condensation in back light but can't find it but has anyone else experience condensation and look of there's water in them and if so what did you do has my garage said it's normal but I've never known q brand new car have condensation in lights
Hi

I've been checking mine each time I wash it and touch wood so far nothing.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But would you agree it shouldn't happen as my garage said it's normal

·
Registered
256 Posts
The owner's manual (Opel version posted on here somewhere) does mention misted light housings :

"The inside of the light housing may mist up briefly in poor, wet and cold weather conditions, in heavy rain or after washing. The mist disappears quickly by itself; to help switch on the headlights."

so I suspect it is a known issue which Vauxhall will try to say is normal to a certain extent. I wouldn't have thought it was normal if there is so much moisture in there as to see standing water. At the end of the day, it's whether this causes any problem with the electrics or functioning of the lights. At least with a forum like this, we can all keep a collective eye on it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can see what they mean if there is a slight mist inside the lights. But not large water droplets or even stagnant water. That cant be healthy for your cars electrics. I had both front lights replaced on my insignia when they had excessive water in the lenses! So far no water in mine, but I did only pick it up yesterday and haven't got round to washing it yet!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had condensation in the back lights since I first washed it at a week old and that was middle of November don't seam to be clearing up

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had it happen on my GTC (there was quite a bit of water in there) and the dealers changed it under warranty.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi All,

I work for a Vauxhall Main Dealer in the Service Department. Generally with the New Astra's this is normal! The new vehicle's with LED's have small vents to allow the escape of air. This is because the upgraded lights can get VERY hot and need ventilation during normal operation. Older vehicles without LED's you may not notice this so much as they are fully enclosed units. However the new vehicle's have ventilation. Not so much that excess water enters the light unit but enough so you may notice slight misting/water on cold days or after a wash.

I'll advise you what Vauxhall generally advise in the first instance:

- Turn vehicle ignition and engine on. Allow vehicle to do normal winter de-mist procedure until you're ready to go.
- Drive vehicle for 20 minutes with lights on. If you have auto settings, turn lights to ON mode so they stay on. Drive vehicle normally for 20 minutes.
- Pull over and inspect rear lights.
- If rear lights still have water/misting at this stage take a photograph and show to main dealer. They will have to raise a Technical Case to get this approved under warranty. This is because rear lamp units are less-ventilated than the front main beam unit.
- If it is front lights misting the dealer can self-authorise the claim and replace the headlamp units. If it's rears a Technical Case must be raised. Preferably in both instances the dealer raises a case to ensure Vauxhall are made aware of any issues.

Normally issues like this are covered by warranty. However! Don't jump the gun as after 20 minutes if the water has disappeared as the lights warm up this is normal.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Let us know if the new lights fix the issue.

Keep in mind with Spring and warmer months ahead you may not notice repair is a success until next year or when the vehicle has a full valet.

The new Astra lights are vented due to the heat they produce so some condensation is normal in Winter as they are not fully sealed units.

·
Registered
48 Posts
my 2 month old astra elite both the headlights and tail lights have steamed up!,after only 50 miles on the clock i stopped for diesel(my fuel cap wouldnt open) well i noticed my headlights had steamed up.
so i spoke to the dealership and they said it sometimes happens when the car gets preped and it would go away,well it definately has not gone away the lights steam up fully and go down to about a quarter of each at best. My tail lights also steam up and always have some condensation in them,its going in next month to get it sorted as its just not acceptable,there is also a irritating ratttle coming from the instrument cluster and i have never seen paint so thin! i have chips all over my bonnet and one on the rear hatch i am pretty pissed off about it really as i look after the car and i dont sit near the rear of other vehicles.

I have a question for anyone with the dual zone climate control, have any of you noticed a pretty bad delay when changing fan speed and direction? its really slow i have never seen a car so bad i had a 1998 omega with dual zone climate and it was nothing like the way this new astra is. Its like it gets confused when changing direction from the window to the front facing or floor vents,surely its not supposed to be like that? the fans are also very loud for the ammount of air being blown having it on speed 4 is loud

·
Registered
856 Posts
somervillearron said:
I have never seen paint so thin! i have chips all over my bonnet and one on the rear hatch i am pretty pissed off about it really as i look after the car and i dont sit near the rear of other vehicles.
Hi

So it's not just me then I have around six paint chips on the bonnet and the car is only a month old. Not impressed!

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
495 Posts
I actually love my elite to bits I must say haven't noticed any problems with the climate control but then I don't really change the fan speed as I just leave it in auto and adjust the temperature

·
Registered
92 Posts
Paulch said:
somervillearron said:
I have never seen paint so thin! i have chips all over my bonnet and one on the rear hatch i am pretty pissed off about it really as i look after the car and i dont sit near the rear of other vehicles.
Hi

So it's not just me then I have around six paint chips on the bonnet and the car is only a month old. Not impressed!

Cheers

Paul
What colour of cars do you both have? Did you opt for a premium metallic or did you stay with the basic colour. Would be interesting to see if they have painted the metallic cars well but left the standard colours very thin.

I opted for carbon flash which was an extra £495 and I have only had the car a week but I must say the paint feels good. Very smooth and appears to have a lot of lacquer on it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
joe.bloggs1 said:
Paulch said:
somervillearron said:
Hi

Cheers

Paul
What colour of cars do you both have? Did you opt for a premium metallic or did you stay with the basic colour. Would be interesting to see if they have painted the metallic cars well but left the standard colours very thin.

I opted for carbon flash which was an extra £495 and I have only had the car a week but I must say the paint feels good. Very smooth and appears to have a lot of lacquer on it.
Hi

Mine is the standard Red.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
92 Posts
Interesting. Do you think they have been a bit reluctant to paint the standard cars properly because they do not get any extra money. As far as im aware my car has very good paint, and I cant really complain at it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
joe.bloggs1 said:
Interesting. Do you think they have been a bit reluctant to paint the standard cars properly because they do not get any extra money. As far as im aware my car has very good paint, and I cant really complain at it.
Hi

A good question and one I will be asking when I take it in to have the software updated for the lane assist error and fuel issue.

Cheers

Paul

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.