Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After putting up with my collision alert light going off randomly for no apparent reason for nearly a year now on it's min setting. I've now decided to tape it up. The main issue with mine was that the led light light reflects from the inside of my windscreen, as well as the buzzer alarm and dash screen light activating at the same time too. I've found the screen light very distracting and annoying.
So I've applied a bit of old school technology to remedy this bit of annoying unreliable modern technology.

Automotive lighting Bumper Vehicle door Office equipment Automotive design

Before taping it up.
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Plant Motor vehicle Vehicle

As you see tape now unnoticeable from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
863 Posts
That's what I like to see Boro'......so which partner are you ? Heath or Robinson :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: / Bodgit or Scarper :p

Totally understand why you've done it though. I think we're too old to be driving around in cars full of un-needed tech like this ;)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I like to see Boro'......so which partner are you ? Heath or Robinson :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: / Bodgit or Scarper :p

Totally understand why you've done it though. I think we're too old to be driving around in cars full of un-needed tech like this ;)
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Yep it'll win no beauty competition, but you can't see it from the driver's seat position and it works. Easy enough to take off too. I was going to cover it in plastic with some double sided tape from the top, but didn't really see the point.
I can turn it off, but to do so I have to go through the settings screen menu during every ignition cycle. The earlier models you could do so from the steering wheel toggle button, but with mine you can't, you could only change the sensitivity. It would have been much easier if we could of had the option to turn it off from a dash button, like the s/s, preferably permanently or at least until we want it back on again. Mine can be annoying as it activates randomly at up to 60mph.
I always have it set to the min setting, but it's not reliable enough for me, never actually saved me from an accident, more likely to cause one.
I may go up to a week without it going off, then it went off twice today for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I think the sensitivity button on the steering wheel toggles from 2 (default) to 3 to OFF to 1 then back to 2, doesn't it? Fairly sure both my SRi models did/do that?

If you want to set it to OFF, just toggle through to OFF but remember it'll come back onto setting 2 next ignition cycle.

I keep mine on setting 1 and it only goes off occasionally when I'm having to negotiate between cars parked on either side of the road by some self-entitled tw*ts who can't be bothered to walk for an extra 10ft.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think the sensitivity button on the steering wheel toggles from 2 (default) to 3 to OFF to 1 then back to 2, doesn't it? Fairly sure both my SRi models did/do that?

If you want to set it to OFF, just toggle through to OFF but remember it'll come back onto setting 2 next ignition cycle.

I keep mine on setting 1 and it only goes off occasionally when I'm having to negotiate between cars parked on either side of the road by some self-entitled tw*ts who can't be bothered to walk for an extra 10ft.
No can't toggle it to "off", on mine (2018 Sri nav model), although I could so from the wheel on my previous 2016 Astra 1.6d sri. I have to turn it off from my settings menu only now.
I keep it set on min all the time for obvious reasons, but mine goes off intermittently for no apparent reason. On B roads, A roads, around town. Going around roundabouts. On average it's going off around twice a week now. Sometimes more. Not really when passing parked cars, sometimes a car traveling from the other direction can sets it off too. Goes off at anytime up to 60 mph. Fortunately it's not auto braked on me yet, that's a scary experience, as this occured twice on me with my 1.6d, there was need for it to do so either. On both times it occured at just under 60mph.
I could try and make a claim on my vaux extended warranty, but it's that intermittently the fault may never occur for them. They'd also initially charge me to look.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I was told that the reason you can not permanently turn off S/S and collission warning, is that the fuel consumption and the safety rating of the car, depends on these systems, so if you turn them off, the car would not be able to retain it's ratings.

That's why they have no "Turn this off permanently" option.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told that the reason you can not permanently turn off S/S and collission warning, is that the fuel consumption and the safety rating of the car, depends on these systems, so if you turn them off, the car would not be able to retain it's ratings.

That's why they have no "Turn this off permanently" option.
I could cope with that, but like the ability to turn them off easily from a button. Not having to wait until your info screen boots up first then scroll through options to turn off a function during every ignition cycle.
My s/s I usually keep on, but that's only a button to press to turn it off, being an auto it's easy to use, but mine only works around 10-20% of the time, always been the case.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The audio warning doesn't annoy me at all, I can usually understand the reason for it happening, so at least I'm aware of any possible situation.

It may be different, although, if you're carrying a nervous passenger, and it keeps sounding off! 😨

On the subject of sounds, I used to always crank up the old 8-track when in the car, whilst motoring along - not any more!

Now I'm the owner of a 1.4L Astra, the radio is off, whilst I'm listening for any expensive engine noises! 😭

·
Registered
800 Posts
No can't toggle it to "off", on mine (2018 Sri nav model), although I could so from the wheel on my previous 2016 Astra 1.6d sri. I have to turn it off from my settings menu only now.
I keep it set on min all the time for obvious reasons, but mine goes off intermittently for no apparent reason. On B roads, A roads, around town. Going around roundabouts. On average it's going off around twice a week now. Sometimes more. Not really when passing parked cars, sometimes a car traveling from the other direction can sets it off too. Goes off at anytime up to 60 mph. Fortunately it's not auto braked on me yet, that's a scary experience, as this occured twice on me with my 1.6d, there was need for it to do so either. On both times it occured at just under 60mph.
I could try and make a claim on my vaux extended warranty, but it's that intermittently the fault may never occur for them. They'd also initially charge me to look.
Is there no button for it on the steering wheel any more? Or does it just cycle though the 'on' only options?

I think the SRi got such a good insurance rating because of the forward collision system. I've only had the auto-brake activated once and it's 1) very scary/confusing and 2) saved my from rear ending some super nervous driver who couldn't pull onto a roundabout!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there no button for it on the steering wheel any more? Or does it just cycle though the 'on' only options?

I think the SRi got such a good insurance rating because of the forward collision system. I've only had the auto-brake activated once and it's 1) very scary/confusing and 2) saved my from rear ending some super nervous driver who couldn't pull onto a roundabout!
Just has the cycle on functions on the steering wheel.
My current car has fortunately not auto braked for me as yet. My previous Astra K, 1.6d (2016), had twice. Neither time was an impact imminent.
I nearly had a head on in my current car once on a b road, during heavy rain on a blind bend. I managed to stop just in time, as I came to a halt my dash warning light came on and it didn't auto brake for me, which would have been helpful.
So personally I see this system to be more of an hinderance than a help. It's certainly very distracting at times too.
Maybe if it worked as it should do, I'd see it within a different way.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Just has the cycle on functions on the steering wheel.
My current car has fortunately not auto braked for me as yet. My previous Astra K, 1.6d (2016), had twice. Neither time was an impact imminent.
I nearly had a head on in my current car once on a b road, during heavy rain on a blind bend. I managed to stop just in time, as I came to a halt my dash warning light came on and it didn't auto brake for me, which would have been helpful.
So personally I see this system to be more of an hinderance than a help. It's certainly very distracting at times too.
Maybe if it worked as it should do, I'd see it within a different way.
I thought the auto braking only worked up to 30mph or something?

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
2017 Astra 1.4t SRi VX-Line
41 Posts
The audio warning doesn't annoy me at all, I can usually understand the reason for it happening, so at least I'm aware of any possible situation.

It may be different, although, if you're carrying a nervous passenger, and it keeps sounding off! 😨

On the subject of sounds, I used to always crank up the old 8-track when in the car, whilst motoring along - not any more!

Now I'm the owner of a 1.4L Astra, the radio is off, whilst I'm listening for any expensive engine noises! 😭
First sign of mine going wasn't a noise, it was a feeling like I was driving on a rough surface, slight lack of power too then EML a couple of miles later. I don't remember it sounding any different but I suppose if you know what you're listening for you might notice something. This was 26th November. Still without the bloody thing now, as soon as it's fixed I'll be ending my agreement, but not before I give the wheels a good kicking for all the sh.. it's put me through! Hope yours survives for as long as you're brave enough to keep it!

·
Registered
77 Posts
First sign of mine going wasn't a noise, it was a feeling like I was driving on a rough surface, slight lack of power too then EML a couple of miles later. I don't remember it sounding any different but I suppose if you know what you're listening for you might notice something. This was 26th November. Still without the bloody thing now, as soon as it's fixed I'll be ending my agreement, but not before I give the wheels a good kicking for all the sh.. it's put me through! Hope yours survives for as long as you're brave enough to keep it!
And breathe lol 🤣 good to get things off your chest , maybe a group therapy session with fellow 1.4t owners may help ?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I thought the auto braking only worked up to 30mph or something?
This is also what i was told.

BUT....The system will also warn above those speeds, it will just not autobrake for you.

I have a couple of times had it activate on the motorway, because of rain, that probably made the car in front look a lot closer than it was.

All it does at motorway speeds is cut the radio sound, beep at you, flash at you, and if the Cruise Control is activated, it will deactivate that.

Not having a radar, i understand why they did it this way...The camera is not accurate enough at higher speeds so all they do is raise your attention level, and remove the CC. So all non-intrusive, that can easily be overcome by the driver, by taking control of the accelerator or brake.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
There are a couple of youtube videos of people having the system activate

First one was filmed using a potaty apparantly.

This one shows how it warns at higher speeds

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
There are a couple of youtube videos of people having the system activate

First one was filmed using a potaty apparantly.

This one shows how it warns at higher speeds

Yes I've had mine activated a few times at just under 60. Only ever experienced it self brake once though, not a nice experience, as I didn't expect it to happen. Wasn't my current car to which it happened, my first Astra 1.6d K (2016). Although the collision warning alert has been equally as unreliable on my current car. At least I only have 2 levels of warning indicators to put up with now (screen warning and audible alarm), having taped over the top led dash light, which reflects back from the inside of my screen. That's the biggest annoyance to put up with.
Just to also point out that it's not usually activated from bad driving, I usually keep my distance. It can occur due to other cars heading towards me from the opposite lanes, going around corners, when hitting a brow of a hill and for no apparent reason at all. This is on the least sensitive setting too. Very intermittent, I could go two or 3 days without a single activation, then it could occur 3 times within a 30 minute single trip.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Yes I've had mine activated a few times at just under 60. Only ever experienced it self brake once though, not a nice experience, as I didn't expect it to happen. Wasn't my current car to which it happened, my first Astra 1.6d K (2016). Although the collision warning alert has been equally as unreliable on my current car. At least I only have 2 levels of warning indicators to put up with now (screen warning and audible alarm), having taped over the top led dash light, which reflects back from the inside of my screen. That's the biggest annoyance to put up with.
Just to also point out that it's not usually activated from bad driving, I usually keep my distance. It can occur due to other cars heading towards me from the opposite lanes, going around corners, when hitting a brow of a hill and for no apparent reason at all. This is on the least sensitive setting too. Very intermittent, I could go two or 3 days without a single activation, then it could occur 3 times within a 30 minute single trip.
Mine has activated a couple of times, as said, once when it was raining a fair bit, and it probably thought the car in front was way closer, and then a few times if i drive through a street with parked cars in both directions and it gets a bit close.

Once i was a bit late, braking for at stopped car in front, i dont know for sure, that it intervened, but i felt that i did not step THAT hard on the brake, but the car stopped a bit faster than i would have thought.

Nothing major, and in all fairness, i think it works pretty good, and i would imagine that a 2015 model, with tech, made in 2014, would have improved so that if i bought a 2022 car, it would have tech, made in 2020/2021, and thus it would be better than the "old" in my car, so i think and hope, these systems will just have become better over the years.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine has activated a couple of times, as said, once when it was raining a fair bit, and it probably thought the car in front was way closer, and then a few times if i drive through a street with parked cars in both directions and it gets a bit close.

Once i was a bit late, braking for at stopped car in front, i dont know for sure, that it intervened, but i felt that i did not step THAT hard on the brake, but the car stopped a bit faster than i would have thought.

Nothing major, and in all fairness, i think it works pretty good, and i would imagine that a 2015 model, with tech, made in 2014, would have improved so that if i bought a 2022 car, it would have tech, made in 2020/2021, and thus it would be better than the "old" in my car, so i think and hope, these systems will just have become better over the years.
The good thing about the earlier models Is that you can turn it off from the wheel, not on the later models, have to go through the display screen options to do so during every ignition cycle. Obviously to put us off from doing so.
Maybe I've been a bit unlucky with owning 2 Astra K's with problematic collision alert systems, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
You are prolly right Boro' coz the couple of times mine has gone off in the past, it's always been a car that's either pulled in to park in front of me or coming towards me round a l/h bend.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts