Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled off the drive yesterday as normal, went to select 2nd gear and the clutch pedal was hard as rock. No 2nd, no anything, just able to coast to the side of the road. Thankfully a pushable distance from home.

All the clutch queries on here seem to be soft pedals or pedals dropping to the floor (this has happened twice in the 9 months I've had the car but remedied itself quickly)

Is this still a Master/slave cylinder issue? anyone with any ideas of a rough cost for repair (best guesstimates)

Cheers in advance

John

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah, when the clutch/brake recall was completed on my car it was in the garage for a few days.

I have seen instances on the forum where even after recall people have reported the clutch failing again and needing the work completed again.

I believe Vauxhalls “test” is to apply firm pressure on the brake pedal with the engine running and vehicle stationary.
In a correctly running vehicle the pedal will remain in the same place. I understand in a vehicle needing the recall the pedal would slowly drop to the floor.

there are a few techs in the forum that may be able to confirm.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I believe Vauxhalls “test” is to apply firm pressure on the brake pedal with the engine running and vehicle stationary.
In a correctly running vehicle the pedal will remain in the same place. I understand in a vehicle needing the recall the pedal would slowly drop to the floor.
I've driven a few diesel vans (including my own personal Combo models) that exhibit that particular symptom even when new. When I asked one of the works van mechanics what it could be he said it was common for diesels to do this because they have a vacuum pump (usually driven off one of the auxiliary belts, or in the case of the Combo by a pump attached to the alternator) and provide much more vacuum to the servo than a pipe from the inlet manifold of a petrol engine. He also told me that it's not a good idea to do this because it can cause premature failure of the master cylinder seals due to the increased pressures being exerted on them !

How true that is I don't know but after finding that out and doing a full master cylinder refurbish job on my last Combo, although the problem was reduced a hell of a lot because the seals were on their way out, it did still exhibit the same symptoms, just nowhere near as severe.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the usual VX-dictated mechanic BS :mad:

Like you say, I'm sure someone like Valer or another mechanic will be able to confirm or deny :unsure:

Reactions: Kcirtap
1 - 6 of 6 Posts