Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just ordered a new Astra Elite, and I've got a questions about Apple Carplay.

I know you have to use the USB port in the mid console for Apple Carplay to work.. But does this also charge the iPhone at the same time?

Thanks

Kind Regards

Pete :)

G

·
Welcome and congrats! I've seen a couple of posts on here to say that it does. Also charges my Android phone too using Android Auto.

·
Registered
280 Posts
platham said:
Hi,

Just ordered a new Astra Elite, and I've got a questions about Apple Carplay.

I know you have to use the USB port in the mid console for Apple Carplay to work.. But does this also charge the iPhone at the same time?

Thanks

Kind Regards

Pete :)
Welcome!

Yes it definitely does. In fact I have just driven 3/4 of an hour listening to music and made a couple of calls and phone has charged from 30% to 65%, so it works very well.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes - it works superbly with CarPlay and charges the iPhone at the same time. If you've not used CarPlay before yo',ll love it. My only disappointment was discovering that BBC iPlayer doesn't have an on-screen App in CarPlay but you can still start playback on your iPhone before or after its connected.

Even without plugging in you can still play audio, use spoken navigation (Maps or TomTom) and use Siri via Bluetooth with your iPhone in your pocket.

An iPhone 6s fits comfortably in the console with the lid closed or you can run the USB cable out via a notch, close the lid and leave your phone on the passenger seat, or, I think in the centre console space if you have an electronic handbrake - I don't).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UKtekkie said:
Yes - it works superbly with CarPlay and charges the iPhone at the same time. If you've not used CarPlay before yo',ll love it. My only disappointment was discovering that BBC iPlayer doesn't have an on-screen App in CarPlay but you can still start playback on your iPhone before or after its connected.

Even without plugging in you can still play audio, use spoken navigation (Maps or TomTom) and use Siri via Bluetooth with your iPhone in your pocket.

An iPhone 6s fits comfortably in the console with the lid closed or you can run the USB cable out via a notch, close the lid and leave your phone on the passenger seat, or, I think in the centre console space if you have an electronic handbrake - I don't).
That sounds great... So if there any point to connect the phone to bluetooth if you've got Apple Carplay connected all the time?

·
Registered
360 Posts
platham said:
So if there any point to connect the phone to bluetooth if you've got Apple Carplay connected all the time?
Absolutely. For a short drive Bluetooth connects to the iPhone in my pocket automatically without doing anything and is great for audio but you don't get the nice display other than "what's playing".

For a longer drive, or if you want to charge your phone, plug the cable in, then you get all the Apps on the big display. I leave a USB to Lightning cable connected inside the centre cosnsole with the lid closed so it's easy to reach.

Apple maps works well (as long as you have a 4G signal when planning the route) and the page 8" display on my SRi Nav is excellent - I prefer the appearance over the Vauxhall Nav one. The large screen is multitouch so you can pinch to zoom etc.

You can also choose Podcasts easily using familiar icons and menus from the phone's podcast app. The Recent podcasts view works well for me.

Music works especially well with all your playlists and menus displayed nice and large although I often use Siri to play a playlist or random tracks from an artist or to select a podcast. Steering wheel controls are available for volume as well as next/previous track and Siri.

CarPlay deliberately tries not to distract you, so if I say "tell my wife I'll be home in 20 minutes" it will speak the phrase back to me and show the Siri interface on the display but won't display the text there as it would distract the driver.

My wife stole my Astra last night so I was left driving her Zafira - not only did the car feel horrible, the Sony Bluetooth head unit that I used to love felt like it was from the dark ages and extremely clumsy, with fiddly buttons and controls, despite supporting Siri (but not CarPlay).

The Nav 900 with CarPlay integration is so very easy to use and beautifully designed.

It's one of those rare interfaces that I'd be hard pushed to find fault with - "it just works".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UKtekkie said:
platham said:
So if there any point to connect the phone to bluetooth if you've got Apple Carplay connected all the time?
Absolutely. For a short drive Bluetooth connects to the iPhone in my pocket automatically without doing anything and is great for audio but you don't get the nice display other than "what's playing".

For a longer drive, or if you want to charge your phone, plug the cable in, then you get all the Apps on the big display. I leave a USB to Lightning cable connected inside the centre cosnsole with the lid closed so it's easy to reach.

Apple maps works well (as long as you have a 4G signal when planning the route) and the page 8" display on my SRi Nav is excellent - I prefer the appearance over the Vauxhall Nav one. The large screen is multitouch so you can pinch to zoom etc.

You can also choose Podcasts easily using familiar icons and menus from the phone's podcast app. The Recent podcasts view works well for me.

Music works especially well with all your playlists and menus displayed nice and large although I often use Siri to play a playlist or random tracks from an artist or to select a podcast. Steering wheel controls are available for volume as well as next/previous track and Siri.

CarPlay deliberately tries not to distract you, so if I say "tell my wife I'll be home in 20 minutes" it will speak the phrase back to me and show the Siri interface on the display but won't display the text there as it would distract the driver.

My wife stole my Astra last night so I was left driving her Zafira - not only did the car feel horrible, the Sony Bluetooth head unit that I used to love felt like it was from the dark ages and extremely clumsy, with fiddly buttons and controls, despite supporting Siri (but not CarPlay).

The Nav 900 with CarPlay integration is so very easy to use and beautifully designed.

It's one of those rare interfaces that I'd be hard pushed to find fault with - "it just works".
Thanks for explaining that...

Makes perfect sense now. :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
gunswills said:
Has anybody tried a double usb hub into the centre usb so you can use car play and iPod at the same time ?
I would guess a "computer says no" scenario here. As, if for example you have 2 Apple devices plugged into it and you press the music button, how would the car know which device to look at.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The non-nav headunit has USB1 and USB2 in the sources list, although when I tried using a hub for an ipod and android phone I had problems which I put down to not getting enough power from the USB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts