Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New to the forum, and have to say some great pics of cars on here. I have just got my Brand New Astra Elite Nav 1.4 (150) Turbo in Summit White this week and am loving it so far.

I was hoping someone can advice me if it is possible to change the Standard Rear Lights to the LED's that some of you have as they look great and I just have to have them. :D but I am confused.

I looked in the Manual and it looks like the rear cluster is quite easy to remove as you have to remove them to change the light bulbs. So going with that I called my local Vauxhall dealer to ask how much the LED's cost and was quoted by the parts department about £200 odd quid. The chap I spoke to said it might be worth asking the servicing guys whether it is compatible before I do.

So later on I rang the service people at the same garage and the lady on the phone said she would speak to the head engineer and get me a quote and they then quoted me over £450 for the rear clusters :eek:

So I said I got quoted earlier at £200 and also on the configurator it is ony a £195 upgrade and was put on hold and then told that they have to change the wiring for the LED's etc and it complex and they need to add wires etc etc. I advised that surely this is a straight forward swap because the LEDS are the same other than the twin Rear lights and the wiring should be already there on the wiring loom but was told the technician is saying I would need to bring it for them to do as it is complex.

So my question is would this be true? and they are trying to rip me off as they have doubled the price I got this morning and would the LED's be compatiable? Also has any one else got any quotes on these as well as I feel they are taking me for a mug.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Hi, mate! Having previously owned a 1.7CDTi Astra 'J' with tungsten rear light clusters, I always used to have 'LED envy' when I saw other cars, which is why I shelled out and had the LEDs on this one.

You can replace the tungsten bulbs in your present rear light cluster with LED bulbs (I did on my 'J'). They were certainly brighter and, of course, used a lot less power, so I also replaced the DRLs with LED versions. If you're happy to do that, you can get suitable LED replacement bulbs from both HIDS Direct: http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/ and Auto Bulbs Direct: http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/

To replace them with the full LED rear clusters seems to be really expensive!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Cooldad, ideally I would like OEM rather than mess with them so will leave as is if its true they cannot be changed.

I followed up with another garage and they also put me on hold and got I passed around. Then the chap said it might void my 3 year warranty if I change them but know one seems to be able to give me a definite answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.