Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

CD Player

33K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  drey_p 
Do you actually use CDs though? I used to have a Sony MDX-C800REC MiniDisc Recorder in both of our cars which I loved. It could record from the radio or even copy a CD from the 6 disc changer in the boot. I loved it and often used it to record the end of Radio 4 programmes when I arrived at my designation. One was linked to a CD changer while the other car had a 6 disc mini changer in the boot.

It took me a while but I have to admit my iPhone is way superior. I can listen to iPlayer or a vast range of albums or I can stream off the internet. I've not played a CD for years although I still buy them to copy. Arguably the quality is slightly better but I'd challenge anyone to tell the difference over the background noise in a car.

drey_p said:
I will have to simply rip them to MP3 and put them on a USB stick and play them that way. In my GTC, I tried music off my USB stick, but I don't think the tracks were at a high enough bit rate and you can definitely tell the difference in quality... some of the music sounded quite terrible TBH LOL.
I'd recommend using AAC rather than MP3 - the quality is generally a lot better for equivalent bit rates (AAC is the successor to MP3 and part of the MPEG-4 set of standards).

Apple's free iTunes software does a good job of copying CDs to AAC format. 128Kbit/s should be good enough for high quality but it supports 256Kbit/s and higher. Also enable VBR (Variable Bit Rate) to get even better quality by using a higher bit rate for the sections that need it (without VBR even silence will use the same bit rate as music).

Even with an Android phone you should still be able to stream music to the Navi 900 either via a cable or Bluetooth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.